2nd Trimester

Advice on baby carriers? Slings/wraps/carriers???

Looking for a comfortable, nice baby carrier. I have seen so many from the bonjours to the slings, wraps and ergo carriers. Some are very expensive too. I noticed some are a lot cheaper on Etsy. Need advice from some mommas! Thank you!!

Re: Advice on baby carriers? Slings/wraps/carriers???

• I registered for the baby k'tan based on reviews and price. Looks simple and for younger babies so I will get an ergo if I find that I use a carrier I will invest more.
  • We love our Tula and ring sling. But I also like wraps for when baby is smaller. Be cautious buying baby carriers on etsy. Not every seller is BCIA verified. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had a Tula after all the hype, didn't like it so we switched to Lillebaby. We love our Lille so much that we had to get another one. Even H enjoys babywearing with our Lilles 
  • @mamacastro Thanks for the recommendation. Just stayed up way too late researching. We used a Bjorn with DD. I didn't know at the time that they weren't great for baby's hips and was thinking about getting something else this time around. Plus the Bjorn was hard on my back. After much research, I put the Lillebaby on my wish list since it doesn't require a newborn insert to be purchased and allows forward facing which DD loved. Having a not quite 2 year old when baby is born makes me think I may be carrying a lot.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a Moby wrap fr when baby is little, and an ergo for later. I used a Moby only with DS1 because he hated the other carriers. Before I bought an Ergo I borrowed a few carriers to see what I liked and found that most cut into my shoulders, and one had a weird buckle across my upper back that dug into my neck. I didn't get the Ergo until DS2 was over a year so I've never tried it with a little baby. 

Check out the local baby wearing group in your area. Most will have meet ups and you can test carriers before you buy them. 

• I used an Ergo with DD from two months until she was 3.5 years old (I switched to back carry when she was almost two). Zero issues. This is a summer baby, and I want something lighter for using in the heat, so I am getting a Solly Baby Wrap for the newborn/summer months. 

I went into a store that carried the different carried (more of a boutique style store), and they had them out so you could try them out. DD was already earth side, so I brought her in with me, to pick out a carrier. I went in wanting one carrier, and after trying them all on (with DD in them), I walked out with something completely different. See if there is a store in your area that has them, and if we don't get one as a gift, I highly recommend bringing baby in with you, and having the store employee walk you through the different carriers and trying them. If you don't have a store like that, you could always try out the ones that your friends may have. 
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• We just went to buy buy baby (babies r us and target do the same) and took the samples off the mannequins and tried them on. The ones we ended up liking were not the ones we would have picked out first. It was very helpful.
  • Does anyone know how the Moby wrap does in hotter weather?? I plan to get the Ergo for when she's older but got the Moby wrap for Christmas I intend to use.
    I used a K'Tan (basically the same thing) over the summer. It's hot, but I feel like baby wearing is just hot in the summer no matter what you have or if you back or front carry. 
  • I used a K'Tan when he was smaller and I liked that a lot. He's so heavy now (20 pounds at 6 months) that I find it doesn't give me enough back support to carry him for long (but it's better than my Moby in that regard). Now, I use the Ergo most of the time and it works perfectly.

Also, see if there is a baby wearing group in your area...a lot of those will let you try out different carriers to see what you like before purchasing.
  • Does anyone know how the Moby wrap does in hotter weather?? I plan to get the Ergo for when she's older but got the Moby wrap for Christmas I intend to use.
    I wore a tank top under it and it wasn't too hot. Mine is black, but I wish I had gray or a lighter color. 

• I use the moby with my 2 month old and I love it. It can be on the warm side so it's suggested that you wear a light shirt under and layer over. 
    It's a little difficult to wrap the first few times but now I can do it in under a minute or even while holding DD. 
    If I plan on wearing her when I'm out and about I usually wrap it beforehand and wear it under my coat so I can put her in and out without unwrapping and rewrapping it. 
    I find it to be comfortable for hours if wrapped neatly with everything laying flat. 
    I imagine the k'tan to be a little easier and probably lighter but benefit of the moby vs the k'tan is that the k'tan is sized S M L based on dress size or men's shirt size so if you wanted to share it with your SO or a grandparent/babysitter it might not fit everyone. My SO and I are similarly sized but my mother is heavier than I am and wears DD often. The moby fits all three of us. 
  • no one has mentioned the boba wrap...  just wondering as that's the one i registered for ..  https://www.amazon.com/Boba-BW1-005-Gray-Baby-Wrap-Grey/dp/B005SP2LWW
  • *All experience based on working in a preschool as an infant care provider and baby-wearing non-stop all day*
    I don't like ring sling baby wraps as I feel like I can't go totally hands-free with them. I know it's possible and okay, but I just never liked how being hands free with the sling felt. I also don't care much for the Bjorn, although I have one (hand-me-down) and might use it or let DH use it for hiking and outdoor activities. I personally found the really structured baby carriers the most uncomfortable for day-to-day wearing. The straps and snaps and plastic pieces would always rub wrong after long hours and sitting with the Baby Bjorn on was uncomfortable. My favorite was the Boba wrap which is what I'm registered for. I also like the K'Tan and Moby wraps. They're long, comfy bolts of materials that wrap baby nice and snug for hands-free but they're super comfy to be worn all day and around the house/ while sitting around for convenience sake.
  • mmmmkay said:
    no one has mentioned the boba wrap...  just wondering as that's the one i registered for ..  https://www.amazon.com/Boba-BW1-005-Gray-Baby-Wrap-Grey/dp/B005SP2LWW
    We have a Boba wrap as well and its a thicker material (think sweat/yoga pants) so it can get hot. I do love it because its so easy but also a learning curve. It stretches for days and the heavier baby gets the less supported he/she may feel to you but by that time you may be moving on to a carrier anyways 
  • I lusted after a babyhawk mei tai when I got pregnant with my second but didn't want to pay the price for something that might not work out for us. I bought the infantino mei tai as a test run and was so pleased with it I didn't even bother with the babyhawk. I have used it with two kids now and plan to use is again this go around. Love it. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • This is a question for Wrap mama's how hard is it to figure out how to use one? I was really lost when I tried one on at the store and I'm nervous I will do it wrong and drop the baby haha are they user friendly?

April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @Lindsayleigh1989 some are a bit harder than others. Its kind of a learning curve but there are babywearing groups on FB you might find one in your area and they have meetups and can help you learn how to wear. There are also so many videos on youtube. Once you get the hang of it, it takes 2 seconds 
  • I have a pouch sling, Moby wrap, infantino 4-in-1, and an Ergobaby with infant insert. I plan on taking the infantino back to the store. The biggest thing to remember with any carrier is that baby be frog legged and that their little legs are not straight down. I believe that's something I've heard about the Bjorn, that they don't allow for baby to be knee-to-knee .

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • This is a question for Wrap mama's how hard is it to figure out how to use one? I was really lost when I tried one on at the store and I'm nervous I will do it wrong and drop the baby haha are they user friendly?

I suggest watching the videos on YouTube and practicing at home, before birth if possible. I received mine for Christmas after DD was born but I practiced wrapping a couple of times before even putting her in it and a couple of times at home before attempting to take her out. 
    I don't have any trouble with it now and I can wrap while holding her if need be. 
  • I have a local store that has a babywearing drop-in or a babywearing class once in awhile. Is this something I should try to attend before baby comes? I have a preconceived notion that putting a wrap on with a stuffed doll won't be anything like doing it with a real baby, but I could be totally wrong.

I am probably going to end up with a wrap-type of carrier because DH is 6'8" and I'm 5'2" so we need one that will fit us both!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Nikko BlueNikko Blue member
    edited February 2016
    This is a question for Wrap mama's how hard is it to figure out how to use one? I was really lost when I tried one on at the store and I'm nervous I will do it wrong and drop the baby haha are they user friendly?

It's not that bad once you figure it out. I have a Moby and I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and practiced beforehand. I thought I was doing it wrong because I tested it out with a stuffed animal and it sat so high up. But the baby's weight pulled the wrap down a little and it put it in the right spot. 

I like the Moby for the first few months and the Ergo for when baby has more head control. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We registered for the lillebaby after reading a bunch online about different carriers. You can adjust the bottom so that the leg position is correct for newborns and then readjust when they are older. I will say, I also read up on them on Consumer reports and they ONLY recommend front, hip, or backpack-style carriers (for older babies). Too many sling carriers have been recalled and caused infant deaths because if not wrapped properly, babies' heads can slump down on their chests or their faces can get pressed into your chest too firmly, causing suffocation. A lot of moms do it safely, but I wouldn't risk it. I don't trust myself to be able to wrap it properly all the time, particularly while sleep-deprived. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @cait5413 Exactly my thinking. I know moms who do a great job following the safety guidelines but I'd rather use something more foolproof. Slings and wraps scare me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

I went on YouTube and found the tutorial on there really helpful for the Moby.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• @kdm06c said:
    I lusted after a babyhawk mei tai when I got pregnant with my second but didn't want to pay the price for something that might not work out for us. I bought the infantino mei tai as a test run and was so pleased with it I didn't even bother with the babyhawk. I have used it with two kids now and plan to use is again this go around. Love it. 
    This is what I have, too. I find it very easy to use. Maybe not for a tiny baby, but as they get a little older, it works great. I've used it with DS for a couple of weeks now and he turned 7 weeks old today. I also got an Ergo with infant insert from a children's consignment shop, and it's nice, and maybe I'll use it when I don't need to use the infant insert with it, but for now, I prefer my Mei Tai. 

https://www.target.com/p/infantino-sash-mei-tai-3-position-baby-carrier/-/A-14334281#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=mei+tai

I tried a Maya ring sling and returned it because I was never comfortable with it. I also have a K'Tan and don't like it very much, either. I used it a couple of times with my daughter, but never felt as good as I did with the Mei Tai. It's my go-to. My husband can wear the Mei Tai, also. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I wouldn't recommend a Moby wrap regardless of season because the stretchy wraps are only useful until baby is about 15 lbs.  After that they start to sag and you are constantly readjusting.  I would 100% recommend a gauze wrap for the summer!  I have one that is a Wrap n Wear brand and sells for about $50 online.  That is really affordable for a wrap.  It is light and airy but it doesn't stretch so it will last you until your baby is a toddler!!!

• kdm06c said:
    I lusted after a babyhawk mei tai when I got pregnant with my second but didn't want to pay the price for something that might not work out for us. I bought the infantino mei tai as a test run and was so pleased with it I didn't even bother with the babyhawk. I have used it with two kids now and plan to use is again this go around. Love it. 
    I agree!  The infantino mei tai is my current favourite!!  It is really affordable and versatile.  I don't personally like SSC because I don't like trying to do up buckles behind my back.  The mei tai is really comfortable and easy to tie once you get the hang of it.  I like that you tie it every time and so you don't have to adjust the straps to fit whatever coat, sweater etc you're wearing.  I also find it the easiest for back carries.
  • Has anyone tried any of the other Infantino carriers?  They're so much cheaper than the other ones... I registered for an Ergo original, but I honestly might not be willing to buy it for myself. 
  • Has anyone heard of the Huggaloops carrier? I want something easy. This is my third and need to be as hands free as possible. 
  • @DominiqueU I found My Ergo brand new in the box on eBay. Talked the seller into $65. They had a lot more if I can find the same seller profile I can send you it. Then bought the infant insert ($29.99) from target with a kick back coupon $25 free when you buy 3 packs of diapers. They run this deal frequently !

If you're on the lookout for the next deal like that I got the whole system for about $70 instead of $180 or what not. 
  • I bought myself a Solly baby wrap right after we found out we were pregnant and will use this when baby is a newborn and during warmer months.

I registered for the Ergo 360 carrier.
  • Has anyone tried any of the other Infantino carriers?  They're so much cheaper than the other ones... I registered for an Ergo original, but I honestly might not be willing to buy it for myself. 
    Infantino makes a couple of different carriers but no, they are not generally considered to be good carriers.  Most that I've seen are similar in design to a Baby Bjorn and there are two major flaws:  The straps put all of baby's weight on your neck and shoulders which makes them uncomfortable and the crotch strap for baby is very narrow.  If you look at pictures, you'll see how baby's legs are hanging down.  This is not how is should be.  Good, erogonomic carriers will spread baby's legs wide in an "M" shape with the legs around your waist the bum below the knees.  This is more comfortable for baby and better for their hips.

Both those reasons is why carriers like Infantino and Bjorn are usualy only rated up to about 25 lbs whereas something better like an Ergo is usually good up to 35-40 lbs.  
  • I should add that the Infantino Mei tai is great and just as good as more expensive mei tais!!!

Has anyone tried any of the other Infantino carriers?  They're so much cheaper than the other ones... I registered for an Ergo original, but I honestly might not be willing to buy it for myself. 
    Infantino makes a couple of different carriers but no, they are not generally considered to be good carriers.  Most that I've seen are similar in design to a Baby Bjorn and there are two major flaws:  The straps put all of baby's weight on your neck and shoulders which makes them uncomfortable and the crotch strap for baby is very narrow.  If you look at pictures, you'll see how baby's legs are hanging down.  This is not how is should be.  Good, erogonomic carriers will spread baby's legs wide in an "M" shape with the legs around your waist the bum below the knees.  This is more comfortable for baby and better for their hips.

Both those reasons is why carriers like Infantino and Bjorn are usualy only rated up to about 25 lbs whereas something better like an Ergo is usually good up to 35-40 lbs.  

• I should add that the Infantino Mei tai is great and just as good as more expensive mei tais!!

**stuck in a box*********

Is the Mei Tai good for newborns?  I don't know how often I'll wear my baby when head and neck control is an issue, but I'm reading that you need an infant insert for an Ergo. The insert is $30 and that seems crazy. Does anyone have experience with the inserts or using a Mei Tai for a newborn?  I was thinking of just registering for a Mei Tai or cheap newborn carrier in addition to the Ergo instead of getting the insert. 

I have no freaking clue. 
  • I have the Ergo with the infant insert. I LOVE the Ergo for when baby is older (read: can hold their own head up) but the infant insert didn't work for me. I still had to support the baby's head with my hands, which sort of defeated the purpose of the carrier. 
  • I should add that the Infantino Mei tai is great and just as good as more expensive mei tais!!

**stuck in a box*********

Is the Mei Tai good for newborns?  I don't know how often I'll wear my baby when head and neck control is an issue, but I'm reading that you need an infant insert for an Ergo. The insert is $30 and that seems crazy. Does anyone have experience with the inserts or using a Mei Tai for a newborn?  I was thinking of just registering for a Mei Tai or cheap newborn carrier in addition to the Ergo instead of getting the insert. 

I have no freaking clue. 
    I have an Infantino mei tai. I want to say I started using it when DS was 2-3 months old. Before that, the K'tan was great for the itty bitty newborn phase. I also had a Becco Gemini for when he was a bit older - maybe 6 or 7 months to a little over a year. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Just had a thought to add. My DD absolutely hated facing in, so I'm really glad I got one that allowed forward facing. I know it's not ideal ergonomically, but it was that or screaming. She didn't like her stroller either.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Baby hawk mei tai and linen blend didysling ring sling!