Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Normal development 3 months

We read board books several times a day and my LO has started turning the pages when I finish a page. 

Is it POSSIBLE he knows when the page is finished? We read the same few books daily. This just seems near impossible but we even took a video we were so surprised. I think turning the page is a pretty cool thing. 

Also ive been signing a few words for the last month or so... Milk, song, and story. I figured they were much more concrete words than up or more. Anyway I'm 99.9% convinced he signs milk now. It's the easiest of the 3 but it's just clenching your first like milking a cow so I'm not totally sure. But it seems like he does it ... Especially when his bottle is late. He will clinch one hand and the other is open. 

I'm honestly not trying to mommy brag. I think this seems unusual but I don't want to ask anyone IRL because I think they will think I'm being a crazy tiger mom. 

Im a former teacher (at a super hippie non competitive not super academic type of school) and always found it annoying when parents just thought their kid was so smart and precocious. I don't want to be that mom. 

Re: Normal development 3 months

• Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited February 2016
    I don't think it's possible. I've researched signing and its recommended to begin signing around 4mo and you shouldn't expect your LO to sign back until 6mo. They just won't have the motor control until then. Clenching a fist (milk sign) is common in babies but you do want to make sure that clenching occurs less and their hands are more open at this age, as that's a 3 month development milestone. 

As as far as knowing when the page in a book is done? Baby's brain just isn't developed to understand that type of cause and effect. I think you're seeing coincidental circumstances and reading a bit into them. 

If you do think baby is developing milestones way ahead of when they are expected, talk to your doctor. It's actually not always a good thing to have a baby doing things early/abnormal reflexes (ex rolling over early, having clenched fists, etc) as it could be a sign of cerebral palsy. I'm not saying what you describe above means your baby has some medical issue, I just see a lot of moms on these boards talking about their babies reaching "advanced" milestones for their age and not realizing that this is not always a good thing. It's actually better for our babies at this young age to hit milestones on time (within some reasonable  margin of error). As time goes on hitting milestones will be expected over a larger range of time and considered normal (crawling, walking, talking). 
  • I don't think it's possible. I've researched signing and its recommended to begin signing around 4mo and you shouldn't expect your LO to sign back until 6mo. They just won't have the motor control until then. Clenching a fist (milk sign) is common in babies but you do want to make sure that clenching occurs less and their hands are more open at this age, as that's a 3 month development milestone. 

As as far as knowing when the page in a book is done? Baby's brain just isn't developed to understand that type of cause and effect. I think you're seeing coincidental circumstances and reading a bit into them. 

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you should stop trying to analyze every move your LO makes. Just enjoying watching him grow and learn at his own pace.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think we have a natural tendency to see what we want to see. Be happy baby is turning pages of a book and developing appropriately.