Baby Names
Options

First name for awkward middle name

So, my Mum was recently throwing around the idea that she'd love her first name to get carried on to another generation. She doesn't go by her first name (she's used her middle name her whole life) but it was her Grandmother's name and it's special to her. The name is Millicent. I'm the only one of her children who is having any more babies and this pregnancy will almost certainly be my last. Not sure if it's a girl but if it is I think I'd like to make my Mum happy by using Millicent as the middle name.

Only thing is it's not really working with any of my first name ideas. The names I've kind of been throwing around for a girl are:

- Astrid
- Margot
- Ada (possibly short for Adelaide? or just on its own)
- Henrietta (Etta)
- Aurora (would shorten to Rory)
- Beatrice or Beatrix
- Bedelia

Any suggestions what would work the best of those, or something else entirely? Last name is Taylor if that makes a difference.

Re: First name for awkward middle name

• Options
    I think Astrid would flow nicely, though in reality I don't think you should write anything off unless it's absolutely horrible. How often does a person use her whole name? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Ada (Adelaide) and Aurora sound great with Millicent. 
  • Options
    For family significance, I wouldn't worry about flow. I loooove Millicent NN Millie. 
  • Options
    Love Etta! Also like Astrid 
  • Options
    Yeah I'm in the camp of "significance trumps flow". I think it would work well with all of those names. My favorite being Henrietta  (but they're all quite awesome).
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    I probably wouldn't do Aurora it's way to Disney with Millicent. Honestly though I think Millicent is pretty awesome and wouldn't worry about perfect flow Just pick a Fn I loved
    Ugh you're totally right about the Disney thing. Dang Sleeping Beauty! That is not why I liked Aurora but you're right that paired with Millicent it's too much. Oh well, lots of other options.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a lot of great options.  
  • Options
    I also think Millicent is a good first name choice. Its a good name, and nobody is using it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think Astrid flows nicely. I also think Millicent is a good first name choice :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    I love Astrid and I think it goes well. 
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    edited February 2016
    For family significance, I wouldn't worry about flow. I loooove Millicent NN Millie. 
    This. I think you should consider it for the first name spot as well! 
  • Options
    ElRuby said:
    I think you should do Millicent as a first name.
    I looooove Millicent and nn Millie. I would consider using it as a FN. 

If Millicent is MN, I would choose a two syllable FN:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I like Astrid or Beatrix. Millie isn't too bad either.
  • Options
    Did your mom pass the name down to you? Because I would find it a little weird if she didn't, but then decided to bring it up like it is so important to her....for her grandkid. I only like Millicent NN Millie as a first name, but if you don't like it and are only doing it to appease your mom, I would scratch it and just pick a name that you like.