Baby Names
Options

Sister for Miles? Down to 2 names...

Would it be cute to have a potential sister's name also starting with the letter M? Maia is the girls name we both love, pronounced Mie-uh. Hubby doesn't like that the Maya spelling looks so similar to the word Mayan. Is this spelling pretty?Do you think it would be annoying for our daughter to always have to correct her name's spelling?

We are also strongly considering the name Arielle. Will the Disney connection still be made automatically? 
Which name goes better with brother Miles (nn Milo)?

Re: Sister for Miles? Down to 2 names...

• Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    edited February 2016
    It is Maya.  Or Ariel.

ETA YES it will be very annoying for your daughter to constantly correct spellings and what is wrong with Mayans?

i also am editing this to say Arielle is perfectly acceptable spelling it's just not the same name as The Little Mermaid.
  • Options
    I agree. I like the names when spelled correctly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't normally post on the "names" board (more of a lurker) but Maia is a correct spelling of the name too.  The variants I'm aware of are Maya/Maia/Maja all pronounced MAH-ya and all technically correct ways to spell the name depending on the culture.  
  • Options
    Maia actually is a legitimate spelling.  It is from Greek and Roman mythology, and apparently also is Portuguese and Georgian, according to BTN.  

For me, the issue with Miles and Maia isn't that they both start with M, but that they both start with the "my" sound.  Miles and Mary or Miles and Monica wouldn't have the same issue, IMO.  But that's my personal style, and I wouldn't side-eye a sibset of Miles and Maia.  Just something to consider.  

And I wouldn't not give my child a name just because some people may not spell it correctly.  I have an uncommon name, and I have had to correct people (including family members) my entire life.  It's not really that big of a deal.  If you love the name, you should use it.  People misspell the most obviously names, anyway, so you could pick something very common, and I'm sure that she'd have to correct someone at some point in her life.

I do automatically think Disney when I hear Arielle, but that association would go away in time.  

• Options
    I'd use Arielle over Maya

Miles and Maya is too matchy to me 
  • Options
    I personally prefer Arielle, simply because Miles and Maia is going to be a tongue twister. I say the wrong names all the time, confusing my DD's name with my sisters', so I can't imagine having two with such similar names. Haha!
  • Options
    I think Arielle fits better with Miles
  • Options
    I don't say Arielle like Ariel. I like Arielle more than Maya with Miles. 
  • Options
    Arielle = Are-ee-elle
    Ariel = Air-ee-ul or Air-ee-il
    (in my mind at least)

Either way, I know two women with variations of this name and they both hate the constant Little Mermaid references that they still get today.

Maia is fine but definitely not with Miles. They aren't twins, and even then it would be too much. 

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Totally unrelated too but aren't Miles and Maya a couple in the movie Sideways?  The combination of those names was driving me crazy until I remembered it just now.  
  • Options
    I love Maia but it is too close paired with Miles.
  • Options
    i do not like arielle
    i do like maya
    but maya and miles too close
  • Options
    Maya/Maia and Ariel/Arielle are all legit spellings. While I like Maya/Maia best, it's way too matchy with Miles. I would go with Ariel. I prefer that spelling too just because it's a little more simple.

• Options
    I like both names but agree with some posters above that Ariel goes better with Miles. I prefer the spelling Ariel because it's more simple, like what the previous poster said.