Infertility

FET- suppositories vs shots

I am getting ready to start my protocol for my FET. Spoke with my RE today about doing suppositories vs IM shots. She was comfortable with this and said they are both as effective. Wondering if anyone went the suppository route and can tell me what I can expect. I am a little nervous that I'm making the right decision, but she seemed comfortable with it.

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

Re: FET- suppositories vs shots

• I did suppositories during my IVF cycle and it was a success!  They're really gross and messy-  pretty much all that goes in ends up coming out... I also didn't like the fact that I had 3 per day-  I'm a pretty disorganized person and would sometimes forget to do my afternoon one while at work.  But not having shots was a big plus and they definitely worked for me!
    ***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016

• I've done both. For my fresh cycle I did supps and for my first (and upcoming second) cycle I did PIO. I personally much prefer the PIO. I am very very prone to UTIs and I got my worst one ever while on the supps. My doc wanted to do both for my first FET but I told him I wasn't doing the supps ever again and he allowed me to do an increased dose of PIO. I also had an issue with getting my progesterone high enough with the supps, which meant that I had to go from 2 a day to 3. With PIO I had no problem maintaining a good level. I know a lot of people have major pain issues with PIO, but mine was a room temperature one and I had no pain problems until the bruises set in, and even then it wasn't bad. Hope this helps, GL and FX!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    edited February 2016
    I've only done suppositories, not sure they do the PIO here.
    3 times a day at fixed times. I used my 'Period tracker - my calendar' to keep me on track.
    Its a messy business, I am not going to lie, what goes in comes mostly out. (Also at night...bedsheets!) 
    But if you know all of that, you can prepare. 
    I found it less stressful for my body and mind as I'm not sure I would dare to inject myself with PIO (Although, I thought that about the other hormones too, but I managed to inject those)
    GL!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I'm currently on both. PIO shots at night and suppositories two times a day. I don't mind the suppositories as much despite the messy feeling you get down there. For me, the PIO shot is painful and my rear is a bit tender and bruised but I'm slowly getting used to it. The best tip I received for PIO shot was to ice the area before injecting and it has helped! 
  • thanks all - this is helpful..... I really don't like needles so we thought the stress of having to do the shots probably wasn't worth it (especially since by RE is saying they are just as effective)..... 

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

• I've only done sups. It's not a big deal. I wear a panty liner and change it every time I use the restroom. It's more manageable for me than doing a thick IM shot.
    ~ Everyone Welcome ~
    TTC: 05/2011 Me: 32, All Clear DH: 38 Dx: MFI Low Testosterone & 1% Morphology
    IVF #1 w/ICSI & IMSI, 12/03/12: ER: 27R, 20M, 15F
    4 blasts frozen (3BA 4BA 4BB 5BB) b/c of moderate OHSS
    FET #1: 02/08/13 Transferred 3BA & 4BA | HPT 5dp5dt BFP!

10dp5dt Beta #1 - 810 | 12dp5dt Beta #2 - 1843 BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've done PIO for the first 2 days after transfer than moved on to Cirone which is a vaginal insert and I absolutely did not like them.  My lady parts are super sensitive so it would get very sore down there.  And the stuff is kinda gross that comes out (my RE didn't warn me about that and I freaked thinking I had a yeast infection!)

We decided to do only PIO for this next cycle to avoid the irritation down there. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • For all of my cycles, they have put me on both - shots at night and sups twice a day. I would rather do shots twice a day than deal with these sups. They are just a hassle and a mess and make me feel gross. The PIO shots don't bother me anymore - we ice my rear for about 5 minutes before the shot and also use a heating pad to heat the Med before use in order to make it easier to dispense since it's so thick. Sure my rear still feels a little sore, kinda like I have overdone a workout. But I prefer to get it over with and move on with my day rather than dealing with the leakage of that supp all day.

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

Me: 36, all normal, DH: 43, MFI

IUI #1 & #2 - Sept & Oct 2014, BFN

IVF with ICSI #1 January 2015 - BFP, M/C Feb 2015

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF #2 September 2015 - Discovered during ER I had ovulated early, 0 retrieved

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The doc I went to said the suppositories aren't as effective so he would only do the PIO. I didn't mind the shots. I heated the syringe filled with oil for 15 min on a heating pad before injecting, needle included. No icing at all. Couldn't feel it most of the time. I sometimes didn't even believe my husband that he gave me the shot. No bruising at all.