3rd Trimester
Options

Anxiety and Depression During Pregnancy?

I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years.  I was on medication for over a decade and have been off medication for 3 years.  I am 18 weeks pregnant and just saw a doctor at the advice of my midwives.  My score for anxiety is severe and my score for depression is moderate.  The doctor has sent off urgent referrals to psychiatry.  I am assuming this is because I am pregnant as I am not at risk of hurting myself.  I do not want to take medication during pregnancy but am also struggling with self care as I work long hours and have home obligations.  Does anyone have any tips or things that worked for them?  Thanks :)

Re: Anxiety and Depression During Pregnancy?

• Options
    I went off of my anxiety and depression medications when I got pregnant and have struggled a lot. The only reason I've been able to get through this without medication is with therapy. I have a fantastic therapist, and I go multiple times a week. I also am allowed to contact my therapist between sessions via email & text, and I take advantage of this. 
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am one of the folks on here who did not go off their meds and I've still had a really tough time with my anxiety and now depression. I second everything the pp's have said but I also want to say that I think sometimes medicine may be a needed complement to therapy. 

• Options
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with this! 
    Just wanted to let you know that I think it is awesome you and your doctor are being so proactive about it! 
    I hope you are able to work with psychiatry to find a non-med way to treat and manage your anxiety and depression, but if your end up having to go on something that is ok as well. You are a good mom and deserve to be a healthy mom as well. 
    Good luck and keep taking care of you and baby!
  • Options
    **dirty lurker here**

I went through anxiety and depression during my last pregnancy. I thought it was just hormones and being pregnant but after going on medication after my son was born because something still wasn't right, I realize now how I wish I had taken a more steps take care of myself emotionally and psychologically. It sounds like you and your doctor are working together to come up with a great game plan. I decided this time around to take meds during pregnancy because I'm so sad I didn't enjoy my first one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have also stayed on my med, which is safe for pregnancy. My attempts to off would not have been successful and bad for me and the pregnancy. And I just realized this week that my emotional roller coaster I have been on is not just pregnancy hormones or my regular high level anxiety. My psychiatrist indicated that due to the increased blood flow in a pregnant woman's body, less medicine is getting through. So I am attempting to deal with this through increased exercise (hard while pregnant), acupuncture, more therapy, maybe a massage, etc. and will go up on the med if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks.

If you aren't seeking professional help, you should. I have an arsenal of people! And there is an anxiety handbook for pregnant ladies you might find on Amazon. Not helpful for me, but there is literature for all of that--but I think you need to start with a person. GL!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga