High-Risk Pregnancy

Diabetes/gestational diabetes

Jenn061477Jenn061477 member
edited January 2016 in High-Risk Pregnancy
I'm at a loss. I followed the meal plan my endocrinologist gave me and I almost passed out the first day I followed it. So I did some research, I played around with recipes and I STILL cannot get my numbers down. I'm so damn frustrated I want to rip my doctors and everyone else around me's face off! He keeps changing my insulin and it still does not bring it down! I have cut rice, white bread, even reg whole wheat and moved over to whole wheat thin bread (which are only 16g of carbs) they say to eat 1/2 c oatmeal plain or with fruit but no matter what it spikes my sugars (raisins 1 tbsp not, less then half a banana, apples cinnamon), I have always ate a lot of vegetables I used to be a vegetarian, I cook well and I cook everyday and I'm tired of it because it doesn't work! I've cut my salt intake, no more pasta, bagels, egg sandwiches!!!! I do not know what the hell I'm doing wrong! I am trying so hard to follow this absolutely ridiculous diet (or as I like to call it the starvation tactic) my doctor gave me but I'm really hangry!!!!! I keep reading follow your diet but even my doctor told me the one he gave was only a guideline I don't see how I am supposed to eat 2200 calories on that damn diet! I don't get it! These diabetic cookbooks/books are terrible!! I can't do it anymore and I'm so frustrated and I need help! Oh and I can't exercise because my OB wants me on bed rest! Which I have to work! I can't use my time because I'd like to use it for when the baby comes...if it comes at this point!!! The doctors have me sooo damn paranoid I'm losing sleep every day! I'm at a loss and have no one to speak to! I can't afford a dietician specializing in diabetes! I just want to scream! I've lost weight too! I just don't get it! HELP!!!!!

Re: Diabetes/gestational diabetes

• Are you pairing your carbs with protein?  I wouldn't even attempt oatmeal with fruit.  Even if it is plain that is a ton of carbs.  If bread doesn't work for you try eggs and a glass of milk for breakfast.  I'll look for the info my MFM gave me and post meal/snack suggestions.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sarafuss said:

Are you pairing your carbs with protein?  I wouldn't even attempt oatmeal with fruit.  Even if it is plain that is a ton of carbs.  If bread doesn't work for you try eggs and a glass of milk for breakfast.  I'll look for the info my MFM gave me and post meal/snack suggestions.

This. And op if you are eating fruit, don't eat bananas. They have such a high sugar/carb content compared to others. You should look for low glycemic fruits like berries.
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? Do you take meds? In addition, to the previous posters, at certain points in your pregnancy, you sugars are naturally going get high as you progress. Could it be you at just at one of those points? For all your meals, just make sure they are very well balanced, like the "plate" example. It sucks, but a lot of foods you could eat before, just don't agree with your sugars while pregnant. It can be very frustrating trying to find the ones that do. 
  • I need to not only mix carbs with protein but a good day too like avocados. It helps to slow the absorbtion down so you don't get spikes. Stay away from dried fruits too. They are very high carb for what you get. I was told no fruit before lunch time either.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Ladies my numbers are down!!! Thank goodness! I'm 8 weeks! I'm on insulin and I found a dietician and am currently at the appointment (waiting for her) as we speak! I am going to Gina food that works for me! My goodness I was and am still scared but I'm below my numbers so I am very happy!!! 
  • Hello, I'm 29 weeks pregnant and my doctor just told me my blood sugar level is high, I will like to know what can I do to lower as much I can, I will really appreciated it, please help me ....I'm scared 
  • DalindaH said:
    Hello, I'm 29 weeks pregnant and my doctor just told me my blood sugar level is high, I will like to know what can I do to lower as much I can, I will really appreciated it, please help me ....I'm scared 
    Exercise, get protein and stay away from carbs and sugars.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I am 14 weeks I just found out I have gestational diabetes. 

I had to take a 3 hour class on diet so  I want to spread the knowledge:

excersise 30 minutes 5 days per week. Walks are my way and after dinner is best. 

Read up on portions of carbs; you still need 12 servings or 180 grams of carbs per day. 

use an app to track food. I like fitness pal, in the goal settings you can lower carb goals. 

Schedule times to snack. You should eat three snacks and three meals per day. Don't skip. 

You should have 2 servings of carbs at each meal and one with each snack. 

Dont go more than 10 hours without eating- most people should have a between dinner and bead time snack. 

Eliminate soda and juice. 

Pair carbs with protein to keep full and add good fats like olive oil, avocado and nuts to your diet. 

I I should be eating 2200 calories. I have changed my diet and followed the steps listed above and I have my blood sugar completely under control. Hiting  2200 has been hard though. Almost impossible. 

Good luck ladies. At least this will be over when the baby is born. :)
  • DarkCatDarkCat member
    edited April 2016
    Lmao at excersising 5x per week. I have good numbers without a work out.  :D
  • Ok, hopefully I can help. I have been a diabetic for 6 years. The only way I can manage my sugars is to completely cut out carbs except for the ones in fruit and veggies. Stay away from sugar free products, they have hidden sugars in them. The majority of your meals should be protein and veggies. To give you an idea, I follow a ketogenic diet (approved by my dr.). For breakfast I usually have eggs with cheese and a turkey sausage patty. Filling but carb free. Lunch you can make salad, or chicken salad, or egg salad and eat it with celery. My doctor said that berries are the best fruits. Stay away from fruits that are light in color on the INSIDE. I eat lots of cheese, lots of lean meats, lots of veggies, you can still make yummy meals without any carbs at all. The four absolute NO NOs according to my dr are: NO bagels, NO cereal (cold or hot), NO dried fruit, and NO juice.

If you want to email me I would be happy to give you my email address. :) goodluck!