Trouble TTC
Options

Intro: New to PCOS, what should I ask my OB/GYN? (Long read)

brambles1brambles1 member
edited January 2016 in Trouble TTC
Hello ladies, I'm new to TTTC but I've been popping up on the TTC board for over 6 months and TTC since May.  
A little background:  In July I had laproscopic surgery to remove a cyst from one of my ovaries.  I had an ultrasound prior to confirm that I had a cyst and during the ultrasound when I specifically asked about the condition of my ovaries I was told that aside from the one cyst they looked good, with only follicles noted. 

Fast forward to December when I set up an appointment with my GYN because since my surgery my periods have been longer than usual (12-14 days rather than the usual 5-7 days) but I haven't missed a period since the surgery (or since I entered puberty, to be honest) and the length of my cycle has remained the same (32-39 days).  My OB initially tested my thyroid and my prolactin levels, which both came back within the normal range.  Then, last week I went in for an ultrasound and for the OB to take a look at my uterus to rule out fibroids and/or polyps.  Last minute I found out that I wasn't going to be examined by my regular OB but another who is part of the practice.  My uterine lining looks good but I apparently have a slightly bicornuate uterus; no big deal.  Then just before the exam was over, the ultrasound tech turned to the OB and said, "Oh, and I think she has PCOS." The GYN quickly took a look at my ovaries and said, "Yup.  Looks like it." He quickly scooted out of the room and I was advised to set up a follow-up with my regular GYN.  Knowing about the struggles so many PCOS ladies on this site have faced, I was understandably shocked and overwhelmed about what to do next.  Can someone be diagnosed with PCOS just like that?  To my untrained eye I saw no difference between the "follicles" I saw in July and the "cysts" I have now. Am I just in denial or is the difference between the two really such a fine line?  

My regular GYN isn't available for a follow-up for another three weeks and I want to make sure I get all of my concerns addressed this time around.  I put together a list of questions I have for my GYN and I would appreciate input from you ladies.  Please let me know if I missed anything since I don't know what I might be missing:

Aside from the cystic ovaries, what other diagnostic criteria do I meet for the PCOS diagnosis? (FYI I am very tall and thin, with none of the physical characteristics)
Will you be testing my testosterone levels and testing me for insulin resistance? 
If I do have PCOS, why was I not diagnosed with PCOS when I had my previous ultrasound in July?
What are our next steps?
If you put me on Clomid, how will I be monitored?
Can you provide me with a referral for an RE? (I have Tricare for insurance so I need one if I decide to work with an RE)

Thank you ladies for reading and for any advice. 

Edited to add words

Re: Intro: New to PCOS, what should I ask my OB/GYN? (Long read)

• Options
    While I don't have PCOS, I think that you are being really smart for being proactive about this.   There are a lot of women out there with "skinny" PCOS, and there are many, many women with PCOS who don't have too much trouble TTC, so hopefully you're in that category.

I'll leave it to one of our PCOS sisters to tell you which tests to ask for, but your beginning questions definitely sound like you're on the right track.  Good luck!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    I too was diagnosed with PCOS a week ago. My OBGYN explained that because my ovaries were enlarged and I had irregular periods, that those 2 things were enough to meet the criteria for PCOS. I too am very thin and fit and was shocked! She said I fell under the thin-PCOS category. She also did blood work checking tons of levels and everything came back perfect. We plan on starting medication in a few months. 

I would definitely get your hormones checked. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.