July 2015 Moms

Baby puffs

juliekay25juliekay25 member
edited January 2016 in July 2015 Moms
Has anyone given their LO baby puffs yet? Los been just obsessed with everything we eat. Sometimes we give him a little piece to suck on like bread or cookie. It calms him down so much. I'm wondering if the puffs would be a good idea cause they just kinda dissolve in the mouth. I'm not sure if he's too young or not.

Re: Baby puffs

• Good question, not sure but I feel like our littles are too young and the puffs to small. Will definenitely keep an eye on this thread!
  • I feel that they are too small for puffs. I think they can choke on it easier too. If your baby is interested in what you eat, maybe try and give the baby shapes of what you eat. Like if you are eating cereal, give your baby to suck on :) BUT it is also your choice :D
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to start soft slices of foods next week. I was thinking about starting with a long slice of banana since it is softer. My baby gets jealous when we eat food and purees aren't really enough for her. It fills her up, but she wants to explore more.
  • I was wondering this too, when everyone was going to start finger foods, seeing as you may start baby led weaning at 6 months.
    But not sure if they get used to the purees and then they are not sure what to do with finger food!
  • Doctor told us that we could start Puffs or Cheerios (broken into 3 pieces) at six months.  I waited until 7 months (LO was born 1 month early) and started with Cheerios.  She loves them.

Also, Puffs dissolve quickly, so chance of choking is very low.  
  • My little guy is 6 months Thursday...thinking we may start Puffs in a few weeks. I didn't do Cheerios until older with our first. I think they are too small. Puffs dissolve so quickly!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just started with puffs last week, LO is 29 weeks. They dissolve quickly. Most of the time LO picks one up, gets it near his mouth then opens his hand to put it in and drops it. We end up with more on the floor than in his mouth.
  • I'm assuming that all your LO's have one or more teeth? My DD doesn't have any yet - apparently, my hubby's family teeths late. Anyway, I don't want to give her anything remotely solid until she's cut one or two teeth. She does try to grab for our food all the time, though. I feel bad!
  • I'm assuming that all your LO's have one or more teeth? My DD doesn't have any yet - apparently, my hubby's family teeths late. Anyway, I don't want to give her anything remotely solid until she's cut one or two teeth. She does try to grab for our food all the time, though. I feel bad!

My son doesn't have any teeth yet so I want to wait and plus I just started with purees.
  • Our doctor said to hold off until 8 months when he'll have better hand-eye coordination.
  • Like pp our ped said not until 8 months. My LO grabs for our food too!
  • Front teeth won't help them chew too much anway, those gums are super hard...they don't need teeth to start with soft foods. We JUST started letting LO have puffs. She has the pincer grasp down and that's what my doc said to look for. She typically picks it up well but then puts her hand in her mouth in this weird way that they fall to the floor, lol. The times she's been successful she's chewed them with her little gums and really enjoyed them. I think it totally depends on your LO, what your doc recommends, and where your comfort level lies. :-)
  • We have started the freeze dried yogurt drops. LO will grab them and drop it mostly but they dissolve quickly as well. He doesn't get them too often since he doesn't have a huge interest but i give him a couple a day usually right before i feed him.

My son didn't get his first tooth until he was 13 months old!! He definitely was eating solids way before then. But that aside I think 8-9 months was more the time we started solids/finger foods. Not starting LO just yet, still taking it slow with the purees.
  • I've done the pinwheel shaped puffs because they're larger and I feel like he's less likely to shove the whole thing in his mouth. I always keep a close eye on him when he does have one. He loves to suck on them and after he gets it down to a small piece I take it away. He has two bottom teeth that are wayyy out now.
  • We didn't do the puffs because we taste everything and they didn't really devolve easily I think a 6 month old would choke. My little man gets pissed off when we eat (especially me) so we got the baby mum mum cookies and give him one when we sit down with our plate he loves them and just sits there nibbling on it lol. It works for us and I usually feed him pureed food before dinner is done at he gets to eat too around dinner time other times I feed him whike I nibble in mine then dad finishes feeding him while I eat.

It's all what you're comfortable and what you feel is safe I personally wouldn't do the puffs yet they say for crawlers on them I'd say 7 to 8 month area maybe. :)
  • sgb721sgb721 member
    edited January 2016
    It isn't really an age for readiness, it's more of a developmental. Can they sit up on their own and support their trunk. Can they pinch food between their thumb and pointer finger. Those are signs they are ready for pick up foods like puffs and cheerios.

I really wish pedi's would stop just saying at so and so 'blanket age' they can. Every child is so different. Some babies are ready at 6 months, some not until 8 months. Go with what you think your child is ready for. Start with the easy to dissolve stuff and see how they do. Remember that babies gag reflex is farther forward then adults (it recedes as they age) and so they may gag themselves, but they aren't necessarily choking. This is all learning for them and you.

(Sorry- steps off soap box)
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • I just started giving my daughter puffs yesterday when she turned 7 months. She's not crawling yet but she can get up on all fours and rock back and forth with her belly off the ground. She loves feeding herself! We started with giving her the Apple husks that just dissolve and they taught her to chew. She does awesome with the puffs. 
  • sgb721 said:
    It isn't really an age for readiness, it's more of a developmental. Can they sit up on their own and support their trunk. Can they pinch food between their thumb and pointer finger. Those are signs they are ready for pick up foods like puffs and cheerios.

I really wish pedi's would stop just saying at so and so 'blanket age' they can. Every child is so different. Some babies are ready at 6 months, some not until 8 months. Go with what you think your child is ready for. Start with the easy to dissolve stuff and see how they do. Remember that babies gag reflex is farther forward then adults (it recedes as they age) and so they may gag themselves, but they aren't necessarily choking. This is all learning for them and you.

(Sorry- steps off soap box)
    This. Our ped told us we could start finger foods (cheerios/puffs and soft solids) when he develops the pincer grip and can sit up on his own. It's not really an age thing. We tried purees for 2 months before LO was interested and ready for them, and now he noms on them all the time. Every baby is different in this regard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • update here. We have given him the cheese puffs broken in half and he loves them and is fully interested in the yogurt drops now also. Like the PP said it is teaching him to chew.
  • On Sunday we were at church and one of the other mamas was giving her baby boy a Gerber puff and my son was just staring at them and so I asked her for one and gave him to try. He loved it, he was so cute licking it!! But I did hold it the entire time until he finished licking it and it melted quick! 
  • For those of you waiting for the pincer grip before feeding puffs...I've found giving him puffs allows him to practice the pincer grip. Less and less puffs on the floor and more in his mouth over the past few weeks.