Attachment Parenting
Options

How Do I Say This Tactfully?

My fiancé had a one night stand with a woman and as a result they have a 6 year old. My fiancé is just starting to be a part of the child's life because the mom didn't tell him until about 6 months ago about the child. They haven't gone to court for any type of custody arrangement, it's all off the books. My fiancé got a new job last month that has him working all weekend, every weekend. I end up babysitting this child all day Saturday and all day Sunday and I'm fed up. I personally think his days should change to where he is with the child and bonding with her. This child is totally glued to me and I don't think this can be healthy. How do I tell FI and BM that this arrangement isn't working for me. I can't get anything work related done over the weekends due to the child being here. I'm having to wake up before 7am on Saturday and Sunday to start babysitting/cooking/caring for this child while he goes to work. I'm done!

Re: How Do I Say This Tactfully?

• Options
    Just want to clarify the ONS happened before we started dating.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have to watch my 4 yr old step son as well while my husband is at work. He isn't the most enjoyable child, but it is my duty as a wife. I also have an 8 yr old and a 7 month old. It's not easy but I know my husband respects me for this.

Your situation is a bit different because the child came into your life after you and your SO got together. But like the others said, imagine how that lil girl feels. Try and enjoy your time together! It'll make things much easier. Improbably wouldn't bring it up, it'll probably cause more problems then solve them.
  • Options
    I too watch my DAD's. One is 5 and the other is 10 along with me and DH's three month old. He greatly respects me and continuously thanks me for taking on that task because even when he is here with the four of us it can sometimes be a challenge. Lol. As for you saying "the child is glued to you" take that and run with it! It took me almost a year to win over the 10 year old but the 5 year old and I have always but it off. Being a step mom can be tough (I had a hard time with things in the beginning) but it can be so rewarding. Good luck with every thing :)
  • Options
    izza2izza2 member
    SpiderMa said:
    I hardly call taking care of the child and changing her schedule and lifestyle around to accomodate her treating her like garbage! You have every right to feel this way. This is NOT your child and you shouldn't be carrying the full responsibility on your shoulders. In fact you shouldn't be accountable for any responsibility to the child. Do not let these self-righteous goons guilt you- you are only human. You didn't come into this relationship knowing there was a child involved and it has only been 6 months. You are still coping. Your SO should be spending this time with her 100%! You can be a supportive element in his life without picking up his slack. You are not warranted to drop everything & become a full time parent.
    This thread is old. Seriously old. It's dead. Why are you resurrecting a dead thread?

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options

This thread has been closed to new posts due to the discussion’s unwelcoming tone. Continuing to create threads related to this topic will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Bump Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit the The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"