Pregnant after 35
Options

Horrible Sinus Infection!!!!

Hi everyone! I have come down with a nasty sinus infection this weekend. I've been run down and had a stressful week. Then the weekend rolled around and this is fiancé's weekend with his daughter. She came over Friday night sick as a dog, wiping snot on everything and coughing all over us, ugh! By last night I had a raging sore throat, bad headache, severe fatigue, a cough, and horrible sinus pain and drainage. Today I feel short of breath walking around and super dizzy. Should I take the day off tomorrow and go to my doc and get some meds? I feel so miserable and taking care of a 6 year old for two days straight doesn't help:(

Re: Horrible Sinus Infection!!!!

• Options
    Ugh, I'm sorry:( I have a feeling the dr will have you try all the natural remedies first, you can take Tylenol and benedryl if you have a a fever or trouble sleeping too. I had a nasty sinus infection for 3 weeks in December, and finally around day 15, they gave me a zpak, I tried everything and it wasn't getting better. It can't hurt to call your dr though!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I just feel so exhausted and run down I barely have the energy to move off the couch:(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been dealing with this too and chasing a toddler, so I hear ya! It's miserable. I have been making myself hot water with honey and orange slices and that has helped soothe my throat a lot and keep me hydrated. I have also sucked on hard candies to help with the same. I'm on day 7 now and finally feel like I am turning a corner. Taking a day off to get some sleep might help too. I have taken naps when/if I can and have tried to be in bed early, especially since my LO tends to be up by 6.
  • Options
    Yup, I have a terrible cold with sinus congestion too right now, and that's on top of the pregnancy congestion I already had. My nose is a faucet and I have a splitting headache. Unfortunately cold and flu season doesn't go away just because we're pregnant... You could go see your doctor but I'd just wait it out. As was noted above, Tylenol and Benadryl are both considered safe in pregnancy. Rest up, drink plenty of fluids, and if you don't feel better in a few days then you can go see the doctor. But unfortunately there really isn't all that much they could offer you right now.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Options
    Use a Neilmed Sinus Rinse or Neti Pot. Completely safe to use during pregnancy... saline cleans out your sinuses. This thing is amazing. My sinus infections are always gone within a day or two of starting, I try not to take antibiotics unless it's something more serious. Follow-up with Afrin nose spray (the moisturizing one) and try honey in hot water to help your throat. Good luck, sickness & pregnancy sucks!
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had a cold in December and found nasal spray worked great! Just the straight up saline stuff from Rite Aide, CVS whatever. I've used a Neti Pot before but at that stage, I was still pretty morning sick and the contortions needed for the Neti Pot felt worse for me than anything else. I used that, rest, and tylenol.

We have 2 English mastiffs and our house tends to get pretty hairy, slobbery, and dandery so I dinally bit the bullet and had the house professionally cleaned last week which I hope makes a difference in the snotty nose camp. So far, it smells better in here but I think my snots now are just extra mucus from winter and pregnancy.
  • Options
    A few days late but wanted to let you know that I was in your shoes in December. I finally ended up going on antibiotics because it was so bad. I try not taking anything while pregnant but I had no choice. Try the saline rinses as suggested and go the earthclinic.com for all natural remedies. 
  • Options
    A few weeks ago I was sick with a horrible virus for almost 3 weeks. Lost my voice for a few days and I'm still barely getting my sinus back to normal. It's very difficult to take anything when you're expecting but there are somethings safe. First off, I would def go to the doc because if it's an infection treatable with antibiotics they will give you what is safe for you and baby. If it's like what mine was (viral) then all you can do is treat the symptoms until it runs its course. My RE gave me a list of OTC meds safe and which to avoid. Sadly there isn't a whole lot!  Robitussin DM helped with decongestant/coughing. Sudafed also. Nettie pot helped ( when my sinuses were at least somewhat clear enough to use it), non alcohol logenzes also (lived on them)
    i hope you feel better soon. Sick like that and pregnant is no fun!!!