Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Bacterial vaginosis = thrush for newborn

Hoping someone can give me feedback, help, support, anything!
At my 6 week postpartum check, the doc diagnosed Bacterial vaginosis. I've had it in the past and it sucks. Doc said oral antibiotics were fine but pharmacist said no while breastfeeding- which I'm trying to do exclusively. Called doc and they recommended a vaginal ointment instead. It is a 5 day dose which I've taken 2 days.
Today, my 2 month old seems to have white spots in her gums. Fairly certain it's thrush. Of course it is the weekend and I don't know what to do. If I don't finish my meds the infection will worsen. If I continue, my baby will probably get worse. Dammed if I do, Dammed if I don't.
Any suggestions or experience with this?

Re: Bacterial vaginosis = thrush for newborn

• Options
    If she already has thrush, stopping your antibiotics will not make it better. You might as well continue with the treatment since she likely already has it. The pediatrician can give her treatment tomorrow. Make sure you also treat your nipples and boil any pump parts and breast pads, otherwise there might be yeast lingering there which can re-infect baby or cause nipple pain.

https://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html
  • Options
    Nystatin is the most common prescribed meds. Liquid kind for baby. Ointment for you. Eventhough the liquid on your nipples works just as well, it's just messy. Call pediatrician tomorrow so they can send it to the pharmacy over the phone. Honestly idk why your ob didn't tell you to treat your LO asap as well. Even if your baby didn't show signs, you're passing it back and forth to each other.

Thrush is tough to get rid of and easily comes back. Like PP said, you must boils all bottles, pacis etc almost daily. Also bras, tanks towels use once then wash in hot water.

My advice is to follow treatment fully once they give you diff meds. Even if you see improvement because again it comes back easily if not fully gone. Also change nursing pads OFTEN that's how your nipples sit in moisture. You may also want to talk to your ob about probiotics.

Lastly if it doesn't improve on 7 days you have a diff strand that requires harder meds. But one step at a time. The only over the counter treatment is G Violet. I hear lactation consultant swear by it but I am very skeptical to put that in my LOs mouth. Besides its difficult to find and mostly need to order from Amazon so you are better off waiting for meds tomorrow.

Goodluck & spoil your LO. That stuff is irritable on their poor little mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes it's normal for thrush to make an appearance since you were on antibiotics. The meds kill your good bacterial flora along with whatever problematic bacteria they were prescribed to you for, so in their absence the yeast that causes thrush can move in.

Make sure you take probiotics along with the antibiotics to replace your good bacteria!
  • Options
    I'm in this same exact quandary and timeline. Doc prescribed oral Flagyl even though pharmacist said its a no-go while breastfeeding (pump and dump not really an option at this stage). What was the ointment that you were prescribed instead? I thought this would be the route to go, but I'm already dealing with a fussy infant with potential GI flora imbalance/deficits...I don't want to make it worse.