March 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone still nursing?

Hi ladies! My 10 month old has been getting only breast milk (both from nursing and pumped milk when he's at daycare) but lately he doesn't seem to want to nurse, but is otherwise eating normally. I can't tell if it's a nursing strike, or if he's ready to wean. Has anyone else gone through this with your little one?

Re: Anyone still nursing?

• Options
    Does the daycare practice paced bottle feeding? He may just have a bit of nipple confusion. He'll still need milk as a primary source of nutrition until he's one, and it's rare (not unheard of, but rare) for a kid to self-wean before 15-18 months. Is there any way this weekend you can take a nursing holiday with him, where you make your breasts freely available to him all day and maybe take some nice baths together, lots of skin to skin? Only two more months and then food can become his main source of nutrition. It seems such a shame to give up now when that is so close. Best of luck.
  • Options
    We are still nursing and doing bottled breast milk for day care. I have noticed that while he is still enthusiastic about nursing, he has been less readily accepting bottles at day care. He is opting more for food. He also is easily distracted while nursing and will kind of snack throughout the day. I am planning on beginning to progressively wean once he turns one. I think they are just really distracted at this age and playing with finger foods is a huge source of entertainment for my LO.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you're both right. I'm sure he's got some nipple confusion going on from getting a bottle so frequently in daycare, and at home he gets extremely distracted while nursing, which only complicates things. With the blizzard I've had much more time to wear him and nurse on demand, and he seems to be doing much better. I'd be a little bummed to fully launch into weaning now, so I think we'll just keep on keeping on. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!
  • Options
    When my baby is distracted, I try. nurse in a quiet room. If I can't, I ask for noises to be reduced (TV off/lowered, voices lowered, etc.).
  • Options
    My baby is 10 and a half months old. She has been wanting less of me for about 2 months. I finally weaned and she's ok on the sippy. She likes a glass better.
  • Options
    My baby is 10.5 months. Nurses maybe 2x a day. He's too busy to want to nurse and loves his sippy cup. I just nurse on demand.