Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Help ! 7months

My son just turned 7months and he doesn't want his milk anymore. He just drinks a little bit all he wants is water. Is that normal? I know they drink less milk as they get older but he drinks maybe about 6/7 ounces 2bottles n that's about it he fights his milk. He's pretty normal nothing bugs him but his teething. He plays normal, crawls normal, even stands up. He's poppin and everything. Why won't he drink milk?

Re: Help ! 7months

• I would def bring that up to his ped. Before 1 year old a baby's primary source of nutrition should be coming from breastmilk/formula
  • I agree with pp. also, is he teething? My son didn't want milk when he was teething and I figured out that the warm milk bothered his gums. I made him a bottle with milk at room temperature and he drank it just fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • beemaya83 said:

I agree with pp. also, is he teething? My son didn't want milk when he was teething and I figured out that the warm milk bothered his gums. I made him a bottle with milk at room temperature and he drank it just fine.

Yes he is teething it's been months and no tooth lol but doc said he is
  • I would def bring that up to his ped. Before 1 year old a baby's primary source of nutrition should be coming from breastmilk/formula

I'm taking him Friday
  • Why are you even giving him water? If he fills up on water he's not going to want milk.. give him milk and then nothing else except for baby food. At 7 months babies should be given a bottle or breast milk prior to anything else (water, baby food) because of issues like this. If he gets formula or breast milk there is absolutely no need to give him water. 
  • shaley29 said:
    Why are you even giving him water? If he fills up on water he's not going to want milk.. give him milk and then nothing else except for baby food. At 7 months babies should be given a bottle or breast milk prior to anything else (water, baby food) because of issues like this. If he gets formula or breast milk there is absolutely no need to give him water. 
    I give my LO water in a sippy cup at meals as recommended by my pediatrician. It's more for practice but water is ok after 6 months. Now he's not getting more than an ounce total a day but he loves water, especially out of a straw! 
  • shaley29 said:
    Why are you even giving him water? If he fills up on water he's not going to want milk.. give him milk and then nothing else except for baby food. At 7 months babies should be given a bottle or breast milk prior to anything else (water, baby food) because of issues like this. If he gets formula or breast milk there is absolutely no need to give him water. 
    He's drinking his milk now and still drinking water with his baby food. Doc said he can have water and my son loves it he pees it right out anyways while he's drinking it. Diaper is always full but he was probably just not hungry. He's eating and drinking better now especially after I changed the nipples to his bottles
  • shaley29 said:
    I give my LO water in a sippy cup at meals as recommended by my pediatrician. It's more for practice but water is ok after 6 months. Now he's not getting more than an ounce total a day but he loves water, especially out of a straw! 
    Agree! My son does too 
  • Yeah totally fine to give your baby water AFTER they've had their formula or breastmilk. I do the same, but this baby seems to obviously be filling up in water and not the other way around. Babies until at least a year old still require formula and or breastmilk as their main source of nutrition 
  • shaley29 said:
    Yeah totally fine to give your baby water AFTER they've had their formula or breastmilk. I do the same, but this baby seems to obviously be filling up in water and not the other way around. Babies until at least a year old still require formula and or breastmilk as their main source of nutrition 
    He only has water when I give him his baby food then couple hours later he has his milk I don't give him that much water I think it was the nipples because once I changed them he was drinking more and better 
  • Bickey11Bickey11 member
    edited April 2016
    while water is not harmful to babies, it can fill them up and make them not take formula. Formula is their main source of nutrition. Cut the water completely, it may take a few days, but his thirst will trump his want and he'll drink the formula again. There is no NEED for them to drink water, there is a need for formula, so cut the water until he no longer needs formula