High-Risk Pregnancy

Concerns after second Sequential Screening

I am 17w along and received a telephone call from my doctor today informing me that my blood test came back abnormal and that I am considered at risk for a child with Downs.  Background: I am 31 (will be 31 when baby arrives), and had a fairly uneventful pregancy with twins who arrived in September 2013.  I say fairly uneventful because the only issue was going into preterm labor at 33w, but then held those suckers in until I chose induction at 36w 3d because I physically couldn't carry them anymore without feeling like my skin was ripping open.  After four hours of pushing, my daughter's head was kinked and I had to deliver via cesarean. 

My doctor informe me that my tests showed a 1:159 chance of DS.  I knew something was wrong because it took FOREVER for the results to come back, plus I have just been having an off feeling this pregnancy.  I'm super sick, which I wasn't with the twins, but I just feel different.  Probably just a different go at this pregancy thing, but I can't help but feel spooked.  I am going in for additional bloodwork tomorrow, but unfortunately its a Friday which will add even more delay to hearing feedback.  I know that it doesn't matter, but my paternal uncle has DS, so its weighing on me particularly hard.

Anyone else have a similar experience and then go on to have a child born without abnormalities?  I am making myself sick thinking about this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Concerns after second Sequential Screening

• DiFazette911DiFazette911 member
    edited January 2016
    Sorry to hear you're stressed. Don't compare symptoms across pregnancies as a marker for anything. Look at it this way... If you got pregnant and had 159 babies, one of them would have DS. I know it's not even something you want to think about and hope all is clear, but 1:159 is still a really good chance everything is okay. Good luck!

ETA - what type of test was done on Friday? I believe only an Amnio or CVS can confirm with certainty in utero while blood tests are speculative? I may have that wrong though.
  • That's how my husband keeps seeing it, 1 in 159 is not THAT probable, but to me its harder to be as positive.  Unfortunately, I have always been a "Half empty" type of person despite trying not to be.

I had the Panorama done, its supposedly 99% as another screening, but not diagnostic.  Fingers crossed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just chiming in. I was given 1:6 odds of downs. I did the panorama and it was negative for all trisomys.