LGBT Parenting

IVF

BlakelyaBlakelya member
edited January 2016 in LGBT Parenting
Okay guys, since we have a little more activity going on here lately I figured (selfishly) it would be nice to start a fresh thread about IVF. Our egg retrieval is set for the end of February with the ideal plan to transfer mid-March. Needing all the advice, positive vibes, and fellowship possible! None of this is happening in my body, so my connection with it feels odd. Am I the only one? In the best-case future I'll be carrying embryos from this retrieval as well, but that's in the distance. I'm so excited and freaked out!

Re: IVF

• Hi @Blakelya
    We are doing ivf as well. My wife is doing the retrieval around Feb 5 and I will be carrying. We are hoping to do a 5 day fresh transfer. We are already on the meds so I can try to answer questions you may have! Good luck :smiley:

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @twomommiestobeI actually saw you posting in a different thread about your IVF plan, which prompted me to start this thread :)

We're hanging in suppression phase currently. K's cycle and the schedule with our clinic worked out a little funny so we're set for retrieval around 2/27-3/1, depending on all the variables. As of right now she's taking Metformin and birth control, last active birth control pill will be on 2/13.

How are things going for you guys so far?
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2016
    @Blakelya We both took our last bcp last week and have started our lupron injections She will start her Stims (menopur and follistim ) on mon. It is getting so close!! Unfortunately, we can only afford this one try so I'm really in panic mode that it might not work and we won't get a baby. It is so stressful!!

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi, @Blakelya !

While V and I are not doing IVF (had our first IUI round today!), I am in a similar position of being the "other" parent. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one, so maybe we can offer some support to each other throughout these next several months!

I wish you all the good luck, positive thoughts, prayers, good vibes - whatever it is that you believe in - for a successful process. Best wishes for a healthy baby (or, babies!). I look forward to hearing about how everything goes for you!
  • @twomommiestobe : I completely empathize with your "we only get this one shot" stress. The financial piece of it all is gruesome. In fact, at the moment that's the most looming part of it all, but somehow I think we've scraped it all together...beg/borrow/steal style! I didn't realize you'd both be on injections at the same time with that method.  How amazing and intense! I look forward to hearing more about the stims. I've been watching how to videos for the meds we'll be using, gotta play up my "other mom" role and make sure the meds are delivered just so :) How's the first injection day?! Congrats on moving to next step!! So exciting. Well and peaceful wishes!! :)

@L&V2016 Yes, so nice to hear from another "other." Is it just me or is the lack of ability to say "here, let me just do it." practically unbearable?! :) Congrats on first IUI round! That first TWW is so up and down! All those well wishes right back to you on this wild adventure. There's a book I picked up but haven't tackled just yet called "Confessions of the Other Mother" a collection of essays by other non-bio moms. Looks like some good stuff.
  • @Blakelya

I have that book! I'm in the middle of it right now - pretty good stuff. Such a different "Mom" experience I expect we'll go through than our partners will. You must feel like March is so far away! Fortunately, February is a short month. :wink:
  • L&V2016 said:
    @Blakelya I have that book! I'm in the middle of it right now - pretty good stuff. Such a different "Mom" experience I expect we'll go through than our partners will. You must feel like March is so far away! Fortunately, February is a short month. :wink:
    So different! I'm thinking it'll be different in mostly good ways. March does feel pretty far off! Thankfully we're packing activities on the front side with the intention of hibernating/nesting toward the end. Then we have all this mystery time in between until our pending embryo transfer date on 3/28. Eek! How's that TWW going so far?? Seemed like the first week was okay, and then I gradually ran out of patience as days 8-13 drug on. :s
  • So far we are doing really well. As far as we can tell, the retrieval is still next Friday. I'm kinda freaking out. In 3 weeks, we will know if we are pregnant or not! We have been counting down since our first spot in Nov, so these last few weeks are killing my patience!!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Omg, that's so exciting! I'm working on this whole staying in the moment thing, but I feel it all looming just ahead! I'm glad things are going well so far, anything unexpected with the stim process? I have some anxiety about side effects, timing, etc. You're doing a fresh transfer right? I'd be freaking out too! Sending you all kinds of well wishes :)
  • Hi everyone! New poster, 72 hr stalker here :smile:

We're in the middle of our first IVF cycle and since we currently live in West Texas (aka Satan's Armpit) we've been feeling incredibly isolated by the whole process.  So needless to say I'm very excited to see this forum! Our first egg retrieval is today, the RE is very positive about a high number of eggs.  For my part, I sure hope so because I don't want to do the stim process ever again.  This has been no fun whatsoever :wink:

Oh, I'm 31 and my wife is 41, I'm looking forward to learning more about all of you guys and the journey's you're on!
  • Welcome @retropetro! We're just about to start the Stim process next week! I'm so nervous about that part of it, so if you're open to sharing what you wish you would have known going into it, I'd be soooo appreciative  B)
  • The shots scared the bejesus out of me to start with, I've always hated needles so bad. Day one took me an hour to get two shots done but it was so simple that on day two it took 10 minutes and day three took less than 4 minutes. Hang in there, it will all be worth it!!
  • retropetroretropetro member
    edited February 2016
  • Hey y'all!

Delurking to wish everyone great vibes.  I have been sort of floating in and out of these forums, since I'm on a little break.  My IVF in January was cancelled, and I'll be trying again in May, so I'm trying not to come on here every day during my down time from TTC.

If the May IVF doesn't work, we'll try again in October with reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs and my uterus.  And if that doesn't work, I think we'll go to IUIs for her for a while... it gets fuzzy from there.

But I saw this thread and wanted to chime in with well wishes!  This stuff is really hard.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• @KLake42  it is really hard.  Best of luck with the next rounds, and hang in there. This is a journey!
  • We're not doing IVF but just wanted to stop by and wish you the best of luck :)
  • 4 embryos, transfer should be happening on/around 3/31. Crossed fingers, well wishes, etc etc etc welcome. I'm kind of in selfish lurk mode, but hanging around. Hugs to all. This stuff isn't for wimps.
  • @Blakelya - Good luck to you!
  • Blakelya said:
     This stuff isn't for wimps.
    No it isn't!! If I had honestly known what I was signing on for at the beginning I'm not sure I wouldn't have gone another route!