3rd Trimester

PLANNED C-SECTION

I am having my 2nd c-section and this time around it's planned...I'm a bit nervous because I don't really know what to expect...please fill me in...

Re: PLANNED C-SECTION

• if this is your 2nd c-section, how do you not know what to expect..? I'm honestly asking, not trying to be snarky. is there a difference in how you get an emergency c-section vs. a planned one?
  • Like @kyraaD said are you wonderIng the difference between planned and emergency? I have a friend that had a planned c-section after a previous emergency one and she said the biggest difference was it was much calmer. She was able to hold her baby soon after and she knew what to expect so the recovery was easier and she wasn't as scared of everything going on around her.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm three weeks away from my third c-section. My first was an emergency csection, I was rushed in to the operating room after laboring for about 6 hours...I was dilated to a 9, they broke my water to prepare for pushing, and discovered the baby had flipped and was breach. That first csection was a complete blur...everything happened so fast, I didn't have time to worry much about it or even really process it.

My second csection was planned and was scary. Being wheeled into the operating room, fully aware of all the prep being done around me, the room was freezing cold and my husband had to wait outside until all the drapes were set up. Getting the spinal tap hurt like hell and I was an emotional wreck. My emotions calmed slightly once my husband was brought in, but my heightened pregnancy hormones kept me pretty emotional through the whole thing.

This time around, I'm trying to remember how I felt during my second section so I'm not surprised by anything. Fingers crossed that I'm less scared/emotional this time because I know better about what to expect.
  • There is also the c section board you can reach out to.
  • @kyraaD yes I want to know the difference between a planned C-section and an emergency C-section...I had an emergency one with my 1st & this time around I'm just nervous because I really don't know what to expect as far as prepping and timing
  • I may have a planned c section if I don't vbac before 41+2 so thanks for opening this topic up (I find the c section board not very active).

My first section was a complete emergency due to dropping fetal HR. When the OB came in and said they needed to do a section I was fine with the decision (anything for healthy baby) and I asked so how long from now will I start. The OB said "your baby will be here in 10 minutes", not going to lie it was scary because I knew the situation was urgent (I hadn't even had a contraction yet!) but also excited. I had some hurried moments (fastest spinal ever!) but we were both a-ok.

My OB this time said if I have a repeat section things will move much more slowly at first. I can have music if I want it, we still get to do skin to skin after (last time I got to see him and then they took him for 3-5 min eval and we got skin to skin after). Also because my husband can prep beforehand I don't have to be left alone in the OR. He can be there the whole time. Who knows what it'll be like on day of, but my OB was very upbeat that a repeat with be similar but with a few perks.
  • My experience with my RCS was much more calm than with my first section. DS was breech so I knew I'd be a section, but I went into preterm labor so it became a bit of a rush to get me prepped for surgery while I was in active labor. The spinal didn't take on my right side which led to them sedating me, so overall it was not a great experience.

With my RCS with DD, everything was very relaxed. I had to get there at 6am and didn't find out till then that I would be the second procedure; I ended up being the third after an emergency section turned up. DH was waiting with me the whole time, but had to wait in another area as I was wheeled to and prepped in the OR; the nurses and anesthesiologist were chatting with me that whole time. They brought DH in and within 7-8 minutes DD was born. DH went with her over to the little cart for vitals and apgar scores, then brought her over to meet me. I did not request skin to skin in the OR. They left to wait for me in recovery, so I was alone again for the rest of my section and tubal ligation; that seemed lonely, but the doctors were talking about football, so it was somewhat entertaining.

If you were awake for your first section, you've already got a basis for what the actually surgery will be like; it's just the lead up that will be different. The 48hr stays afterwards were the same, i was sore but up and moving as soon as my catheter was out. The hardest part post op was being away from my oldest who was 2 years old and then not being able to pick him up for weeks after the surgery.
  • For me, my planned C-section was a lot more calm and relaxed. I had a pretty bad experience with my first emergency C-section so I felt like it was a huge difference. The nurses were amazing, the doctors kept things light and casual even as they were prepping me, and that took the edge off my nerves. I got to hold my baby right away and nursed him shortly after. I went into the procedure well rested and prepared, which made my recovery much much easier. Of course it's still nerve-racking to think about so I just try to put it out of my mind until I'm there, and practice a little deep breathing and meditation to try to take your mind off of it during the procedure. It's definitely uncomfortable to have a spinal but in my opinion it was a lot less scary than being told I had to do it when I wasn't expecting it and after laboring for 24 hours.
  • I second the thanks for this thread. My first is 8 weeks old and I had to be put under for my cs, no time for a spinal with his condition. So the only memory I have is the 30 seconds I was awake in the OR giving verbal consent while being strapped down. It's nice reading through the experiences if I need to have a RCS in the future. Gives me hope that things will go smoother :)
  • My scheduled C/S was amazing. It was calm and fun. I joked with anesthesia the whole time.
  • I concur with @PugsandKisses & @2-Step. I'm a month out from my rsc & it went very well. Actually I was so nervous about the spinal that when it happened I was like "oh? That's it?"
    The atmosphere was great & the anesthesiologist joked he'd see me next year - ha ha ha nope!
    Good luck!!
  • I will also be a repeat c-section. I spoke with my aunt, a nurse anesthetist, who said that her best advice is to drink as much gatorade as possible the day before surgery.  Good Luck Ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• JennyS86 said:

I will also be a repeat c-section. I spoke with my aunt, a nurse anesthetist, who said that her best advice is to drink as much gatorade as possible the day before surgery.  Good Luck Ladies!

Hmmm what's the reasoning? I have mine in 4 weeks, just curious.
    Ps this will be my 3rd section and my
    2nd was planned and an awesome experience and recovery was really minimal. Skin to skin post delivery asap is great and very appreciated.
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • I will also be a repeat c-section. I spoke with my aunt, a nurse anesthetist, who said that her best advice is to drink as much gatorade as possible the day before surgery.  Good Luck Ladies!
    Hmmm what's the reasoning? I have mine in 4 weeks, just curious. Ps this will be my 3rd section and my 2nd was planned and an awesome experience and recovery was really minimal. Skin to skin post delivery asap is great and very appreciated.
    I think to fight dehydration. With surgical blood loss, blood pressure can fluctuate, leading you to feel like crap.  If yo can stay a bit more hydrated, you will feel better!  I will try it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I had my first csec after a failed induction. Dr came in and said baby isn't going to fit lets go ahead and have csec. So that happened at 7pm. My second I tried to vbac. Dr gave me the evening to try and I didnt progress so was csec the next morning. I'm pregnant with 3rd now and it supposed to be planned. Of course if I start contracting or something else comes up I might go in and have a csec then. Hopefully will make it to 39wks as that is when it is so called "safe" to deliver. Typically for planned csec you go in around 5am and are csec at 7-8am. They might have you go to the hospital a day or so before to have your labs predrawn and to preregister. It's a little slower when it's scheduled. Staff aren't running around trying to get baby out. Baby is usually in better shape with a planned one, bc often the reason for the emergency was a bad looking baby on the monitor.(heart rate dropping, etc.) They still shave prep you and have you take everything off. Oh and some surgery rooms will let you play your ipod, iphone or whatever. So with it being scheduled you might ask. Sometimes music will help calm you down. Our OR rooms have a doc and speakers set up for ipods/iphones. So I might make a play list lol.
  • Zombie thread...