Pregnant after 35

GTKY: gender/names

So, I was lurking on my crazy BMB and got an idea for a GTKY.

1. If you already know what you're having, is it a boy or girl? If not, do you plan to find out? Why or why not?

2. Do you plan to have a name ready before the birth? Or wait until you meet LO to seal the deal?

3. Share your process for coming up with names. Do you plan on using family names? Are you into traditional or more modern names? Is your SO actively involved in the name game?

Re: GTKY: gender/names

• Love this!

1. If you already know what you're having, is it a boy or girl? If not, do you plan to find out? Why or why not?
    Too early to tell but I think we'll find out. Hubby was against it the first time but then couldn't help himself, so I think he'll want to know this time too. I def want to find out but don't mind having either.

2. Do you plan to have a name ready before the birth? Or wait until you meet LO to seal the deal? We have a boy name picked out (Tanner) and had a girl name (Hannah) but it's not my fav anymore so rethinking girl names.

3. Share your process for coming up with names. Do you plan on using family names? Are you into traditional or more modern names? Is your SO actively involved in the name game?. I'm a teacher so a lot of names are eliminated because of students I just couldn't stand :smiley: I prefer something unique but nothing crazy. We try to use family names as the middle names. DS has my dads name for his middle name. DH is definitely involved - he didn't like Grace for a girl because it reminded him of the secretary from ferris bueller.

Tried for DS for 1 year; one dose clomid Nov 2011 = DS born on 8/10/12
    BFP 6/30/15  MMC 7wks 5 days  D/E 8/9/15
    BFP 1/8/16 EDD 9/9/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MamafestoMamafesto member
    edited January 2016
    1. We are not planning on finding out. We waited with DS and it just topped off an already awesome birthing experience. Just after he was born, the midwife put him on my chest and I opened his legs and yelled "we have a boy." As if on cue, he immediately proceeded to pee on me. Also, I'm really not into pink and frilly for girls, so I figured then and now that if it's a girl, I'm more likely to stave off pink frilly gifts if we wait. Either way, I love a good surprise!

2. With DS, we narrowed our lists down to a few names for for each gender. Only minutes after our son was born, we agreed that the family name we were considering was it. It was both of our great grandfather's names and is unique and so we just knew it was the one. We had also agreed for a middle name that if it was a boy, we'd use DP's middle name and if it was a girl we'd use my middle name. We'll hold off again until we meet the new LO.

3. I think we'll probably do something similar this time. I'm much more obsessive about names, and will do the research and come up with a grand list for both boys and girls. Then we'll narrow it down together to a few for each gender. I check the SSA baby name website to find out how popular a name has been in recent years. I'm pretty opposed to anything that's in the top 300 names or seems to be trending more popular. Not sure why it's important to me, but I like a unique name. That said, I'm very much a traditionalist, so it has to strike the balance of being classic at the same time as currently unique. I also want the name to have meaning and was really thrilled that we were able to settle on a family name that we both had connections to last.

Wow, writing out all of my criteria for names has suddenly made me feel the pressure!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited January 2016

We will definitely find out this time. Last time, DH found out and I didn't. But that only lasted about 24 hours. Haha. He couldn't take the pressure and was so afraid he would slip and tell someone that he had to just tell me! He was so miserable, I agreed to let him tell me. It ended up being a really special moment. So, this time, I want to know. If it's a boy, then I'll sort through and wash lo's clothes. If it's a girl, then I'll put away a few special outfits and sell the rest of lo's clothes to a consignment store so I can use the credit to buy girl things. :)

2. Do you plan to have a name ready before the birth? Or wait until you meet LO to seal the deal?

We will have a short list, just like we did with LO. It still took us almost 3 days to name him, but we love the name we chose.

3. Share your process for coming up with names. Do you plan on using family names? Are you into traditional or more modern names? Is your SO actively involved in the name game?

I love browsing name books/websites. So I come up with a list and then DH vetoes the ones he really doesn't like. Last time, we planned to use my mom's maiden name for a middle name, but then ended up using DH's name for the middle name instead. This time, we'll definitely use the maiden name--maybe as a first name, maybe as a middle. We will probably use the boy name we didn't use last time if we have another boy. For a girl, I've got a list of 6-7 that I am getting ready should the occasion arise. We tend toward more traditional, but not particularly common, names.
  • I have zero patience, we're having a girl!! My husband 100% chose our sons name, Wyatt, and his middle name is Coel, pronounced colem we took the first two initials of our moms names, I love that.  I was pushing for Quinn for first name, but love it for a girl, actually we both do, so pretty sure that's our girls name. Having the hardest time with a middle name as we def want to use a family name. My grandma was Selma, his was Kathryn, trying to figure out how to combine the two;) suggestions?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1- we are team green. I like being surprised and it's not like you will never find out the gender.

2-I plan on having the names picked out

3- I pick names that have meaning. Our first son is a junior named after his father.
    I like Liliana Marie for a girl (my grandmother was Lilian and Marie is the usual middle name in my family). For a boy I like Christopher Francis (my step father's middle name is Francis and I like Christopher after st Christopher). I ask hubby for his opinion but in the end I will pick what I like because he doesn't like either of my names and wants the name John for no actual reason.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1. We're having a boy!

2. We have a favorite name picked out already, though I don't think either of us are 100% certain about it and probably won't be until we get to the hospital. The longer we sit on it the more certain I am that it will probably be the one we use though.

3. We both wrote out lists of names we liked, considering first family names, then names pulled from lists on websites. We then compared lists and both of us had veto power against each other's names. We had similar criteria: it had to be classic (no trendy/new names, no unusual spellings), not too common (anything in the top 20 was automatically ruled out), but not too "old man"- sounding (some family names like Ernest and Ronald didn't make the cut). DH felt strongly against using names that he declared "too biblical" (whatever that means. Most names are biblical if we're going to be honest). We both wanted to use a family name for the MN (specifically one of our fathers' names) so there were a limited number of FNs that would work with each of those. After all this we only have 2 names we could agree on, with one that emerged as a favorite. The favorite is actually two family names (FN is my grandfather's, MN is H's father's). Our "runner-up" uses a non-family FN and my father's name as a MN.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • 1. Yes, it's a girl!!  :)

2. I THINK I have her name picked out.  I love it, and it flows with my other children's names...I just hope I still love it in 4 months!  LOL.  I'm sure I will.  

3. For my first daughter, I had a list of 5 names that I really loved and DH picked his favorite.  Her middle name is my mom's name.  My son is named after my husband, he is a Junior.  For #3, my husband says I can pick her name since technically her picked the first two.  (Gee thanks??  It's not like I am literally doing all the work here LOL)
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

• What's the name @redheadbride15??

Ian :)

Great name!!
  • emgee27emgee27 member
    edited January 2016
    We are team green and holding strong at 27 weeks!  We just wanted the surprise and my midwives know I want my husband to be the one to announce to me and the room the sex when I have the baby.

We plan to have 2 names for each sex ready and see what happens when we meet him/her.

Probably no naming after any family unless it's a long-ago discarded name. Latinos are big fans of naming kids after everyone and we just aren't into names that already have 5 family members associated with it. Husband is a junior and absolutely hates it.  We are somewhere in the middle of traditional and modern - definitely no made-up names but also nothing in the US top 200.  I love reading the names in movie credits for ideas (we love going to and watching movies!) and we have also looked at popular name lists from other countries, especially ones we have visited that have a special meaning to us. I'm probably being a bit too much of a stickler on the name sounding good in both an English and a Spanish intonation, but can't escape the thought as that's how most of our family will say it. Sometimes I like the way it sounds one way but not the other.  We have a short list for both sexes right now but need to narrow it down soon and think of MNs!

• 1. If you you already know what you are having, is it a boy or a girl? If not will you find put? Why or why not?
    We will find out at 20 weeks in early March. We have one boy and one girl at present and I am looking forward to paring down the boatload of baby stuff in our basement to be gender specific.
    2. Will you have a name picked at birth?
    Yes.
    3. Share you naming process is, SO actively involved? Do you plan on using traditional, modern or family names?
    I am dreading the naming process this time. DH has strong opinions on names. When I was expecting my first he informed me of the fact that he had a full girls name or boys name picked out and we would name our child one of these. I said absolutely not, I wanted to choose names together and not use a name he'd chosen years ago to use on any child regardless of the mother. We spent a painful three months with me reading names out and him shooting them down. We were team green and finally agreed upon one girl name and one boy name.
    When our son was born at used the name Cole, we found out number 2 was a girl and used the previously chosen girls name, Claire.
    Our last name is longer so I like a shorter first name, and one that can't be easily shortened into various nicknames. But with two C's I feel like maybe we should try to find a third C name. Not looking forward to trying to has out names again but I secretly like name books so I will enjoy the research if not the actual name selection.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @carrieandroy--that is funny. And it also made me say "Roooooooy...." With an eye roll. If that is his name, it's a great one to say with an eye roll inflection. ;)
  • mthoomommthoomom member
    edited January 2016

We know we are having a boy! I wanted to find out because, after having 2 boys already, I was terrified of being blindsided with a girl at the birth. I wanted to be prepared if I was going to be experiencing something new. Also, I didn't find out the sex with my second son, and it really wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be, so I didn't really see the point in waiting. 

The "plan" is to narrow our list down to about 5 names that we like, and then pick one when we meet him. Though to be honest, I am 90% certain of what I want his name to be already. But up until about 2 weeks ago I had absolutely no idea which names I preferred. 

His middle name will probably be my husband's first and middle names. His middle name is his mom's maiden name, so we think that including it is important. Not sure yet whether we are going to add my maiden name as well, but we may end up being "those people" who give their child way too many middle names. DH and I have a rule that we have to agree 100% on the name. If one of us hates it, it's out. I'm really paranoid about name regret, so it something seems to off-the-wall or trendy, I'm usually against it. 
  • 1. If you already know what you're having, is it a boy or girl? If not, do you plan to find out? Why or why not?
    We will definitely find out what the sexes of the babies are.  I'm thinking I'll do the free cell DNA test, though I do want to check with my OB about its efficacy with multiples, but for sex, that will only tell us if there is male DNA, so we'll know if there's at least one boy.  Only thing we'd know for sure is it's two girls.  So, we'll have to wait till 20 weeks again! :)

Yes, we will have names picked out.  I loved being able to call my daughter by name from the instance we found out.

My hubby and I have SUCH issues with names.  We had one girl and one boy name picked out last time.  I'm hoping we have at least one boy this time so we can use the boy name from last time.  We so far have one other girl name picked out and I have one boy name I love but my hubby isn't too sold on.  :(  We cannot agree!  His suggestions are HORRID!  I feel your pain @Ssoccerball!  Our daughter is Emerson (we call her Emmy) Mary (my mom's name who passed away while I was pregnant).  The middle names for these two will be: 1) his mother or father's name and 2) I'm hoping my dad's middle name, which is my Grandma's maiden name - Parker.  I feel like this would be okay for a girl or boy.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • FYI @emsmama15 the cell free DNA test still performs really well for twins - the accuracy is slightly reduced but it's still a very good test. It's a bit less good for triplets and even less so for higher order multiples. You're right about gender though! There's either going to be Y chromosome or not, so the result will read two girls vs. two boys OR one of each.
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • Thanks @redheadbride15 -  that's what I was thinking from my research, but it's good to hear from an expert!  :)  We'll definitely be doing it.  We declined with Emmy simply because I was "only" 37 and it was newish (doctor and perinatologist weren't recommending it on a regular basis) and we really didn't think it would impact our decision making.  With one at home though, I'd rather know if there's something wrong!!
  • Love all of the names you guys are contemplating. Well, maybe not Candy, @CarrieandRoy. ;)

We just found out we are having a boy!

We will hopefully choose a name, or at least some front runners. DH likes traditional names and I like a little more modern/preppy type names, so we are not aligning so well at the moment. The search continues!
  • @Infantino22 congrats on your boy!!! My DH and I had a similar problem with names. I'm pretty traditional/conservative about names and he had some modern and sometimes bizarre IMHO suggestions. At the end of the day there were only a handful we could agree on, but a handful is more than you need! You guys will get there!
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • Congratulations @Infantino22 !
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• 1. If you already know what you're having, is it a boy or girl? If not, do you plan to find out? Why or why not?
    We are having another girl.  We were team green until I couldn't stand it anymore and called the doctor for the cell-free DNA test results!  I'm a huge planner and love to sew, crochet, and decorate so I wanted to have things gender specific.  I'm so glad we found out.  

We've had the name picked out for a while and it's the only one we could agree on.  Boys name were a sore spot for us- we couldn't agree on anything this time.  

My DH and I both hold advanced degrees in Geography so (unintentionally at first!) we have named our children after cities.  It's not too obvious: Jackson for DS (Mississippi) and Sydney for DD (Australia).  We are keeping this third baby's name a secret until birth hopefully.  The middle names are all after close family members (my side since they all get to take DH's last name- I know, I'm petty!).  
  • 1. If you already know what you're having, is it a boy or girl? If not, do you plan to find out? Why or why not? As you may know from my intro, it's another boy for this family!

2. Do you plan to have a name ready before the birth? Or wait until you meet LO to seal the deal? Our first name for him is set in stone. Middle name is TBD as we are torn between two. DH will be the deciding party on the mn. DH chose DS#1's first name and I chose the middle. This time I got to choose the first name and he gets to choose the middle. Even though there were A LOT of veto's we both generally have to agree on the name.  

3. Share your process for coming up with names. Do you plan on using family names? Are you into traditional or more modern names? Is your SO actively involved in the name game? Nothing traditional for us in the least. DS#1's name is the only name we agreed on. For this little one we tossed a ton of names around and when I stumbled on the name and read the meaning I knew that was it. DH wasn't sold but he's come around and DS already calls the baby by name. 
    Just found out today from the cell-free DNA test that we are having a BOY!!! Neither of us wanted to wait.

We would like to have a name ready before his birth but we're struggling a LOT. Knowing that it's a boy will hopefully help with this process.

Basically we each randomly toss out a name and then yay or nay it. DH comes up with some pretty strange suggestions, though. His names sound like something from a Sci-Fi movie or something you would name your cat!! We did have a boy name we both really loved the first time I was pregnant. We ended up referring to the baby by that name (even though it was way too early to know it's gender) and now that name is tied up with that loss. I'm actually okay using that name since it's a way of honoring that first baby but DH feels a bit weird about it. I think it's time we get out a baby book or find a website to generate some ideas. Not sure about using family names. DH didn't have a good relationship with his dad and my dad boycotted our wedding. My grandfather is super awesome so we could potentially include his name as a middle name.
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited January 2016
    Congrats on the boy, @jilligan14 ! So exciting! It took us almost three days after our son was born to name him--but it happened eventually and we love the name! You'll find one that suits. :)
  • I wonder how frequent it is that husbands pick dumb names.  Jason is totally into sci-fi type names (Today he suggested Sauran Gandolph - ala Lord of the Rings).  Seriously?  I encourage him to think of our child on the playground and whether we want him/her to be teased all the time for their name.  UGH!

***If anyone is considering Sauran, I apologize profusely - just not me thing. :)
  • @emsmama15 DH has watched Batman a zillion times, so it's probably good that I'm having a girl!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @emsmama15 I'll make sure not to mention Sauran to my DH. He's probably love it!! 
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Oh my.. the Sauran name makes me giggle, @emsmama15.  If DH used names he liked based on his "hobbies" our child would be named Indiana whether it was a girl or boy (HUGE Indiana Jones fan)... I'd name a pet Indiana, not our child.  I swear the child would have a whip and a brown hat before it was born.
  • @piperella--maybe harrison? A sly nod to good old indy?
  • @emsmama15 DH has watched Batman a zillion times, so it's probably good that I'm having a girl!
    DH wanted to name this baby Bruce Wayne M..... - True Story. #SMH 
  • My husband jokingly suggested Sylvester Stallone (Insert-our-last-name) today......for a girl.   :|