Natural Birth

Ultrasound Safety

I am 6w3d pregnant. My first prenatal checkup isn't until 10 weeks so, I have time to make a decision on whether or not I want an ultrasound done. I am trying my hardest (as I'm sure you all are as well) to make appropriate choices in diet and exercise during my pregnancy. I also plan to have a natural birth either at home or at a birthing center. I am genuinely scared that I am going to be "bullied" into procedures that I do not necessarily understand or agree with during doctor's appointments and/or if I do end up in the hospital giving birth. I have read that ultrasounds are safe and I have also read that they can be dangerous to an unborn baby. Ultrasounds have only been a common procedure in the last few decades and I am wondering if anyone has experience with going through pregnancy without any ultrasounds being done and why you made that decision.

Re: Ultrasound Safety

• I wouldn't go through with none. There are a lot of things that are IMO necessary to see with an US. I'd at least do 1 halfway through.
    My OB prefers to do one every appointment, so I had 10+.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Absolutely not. IMO it's foolish to not have any ultrasounds at all. They are safe and you should trust the medical professionals when they tell you this.

If you are worried about being "bullied" into getting procedures done you don't understand then start doing research now and make sure you understand ahead of time. Some people are wayyyyy too paranoid when there's nothing to be afraid of.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I appreciate your comments!
  • Ultrasounds are completely safe for babies!  Sometimes they do not LIKE the sound but it does not harm them in any way.  The enormous potential benefits that an ultrasound offers (especially the 20 week anatomy scan) far outweigh the baby having to hear the ultrasound and perhaps not liking it.  I plan on going as natural as humanly possible and will get a 20 week ultrasound.  You don't really need any more than that but I wouldn't skip it.
  • I think that doing at the very least the 20 week anatomy scan is important, as it will show any physical abnormalities that might require a hospital birth.  Doing an ultrasound at 10 weeks is probably only necessary if you don't know your cycle and need it for dating purposes.  I also had one at 41 weeks to check my fluid levels and placenta.  I think that some doctors do a ton of ultrasounds that are not needed in a normal pregnancy, but I don't think it's much more than a bit uncomfortable for baby, there's no real proof that there is actual danger.

If you are interested in a birthing center, look into if they provide prenatal care as well.  My birth center provided midwife-led prenatal care, which was minimally invasive.  I go to them for my well-woman care as well.
  • You're right. Ultrasounds haven't been rigorously tested for the amount that people deem them "totally safe." With my first pregnancy, I did the 20 week anatomy scan, but asked them to keep it quick. Everything checked out normal, but I'm still glad that I did it. Some people do opt out of all ultrasounds, but they are usually working with a home birth midwife. You can make decisions for your care, but you'll probably meet less resistance if you go with a provider who is open to your decisions. 
  • I, too, was worried about having ultrasounds but I didn't feel comfortable having none at all.  I talked to my doctor and she suggested that if I was only going to have one that the best time was between 18-22 weeks when they would be able to check to be sure the organs were developing correctly.  It has been a long wait but I am looking forward to my ultrasound next week.  I feel that having one just to check and be sure that baby is safe and sound is the best way to go.  Just follow your gut, try to do as much research as possible, and don't let the influences of the doctors or anyone else pull you off of what you feel is the right course of action.  All the best.
  • CallWool said:
    I, too, was worried about having ultrasounds but I didn't feel comfortable having none at all.  I talked to my doctor and she suggested that if I was only going to have one that the best time was between 18-22 weeks when they would be able to check to be sure the organs were developing correctly.  It has been a long wait but I am looking forward to my ultrasound next week.  I feel that having one just to check and be sure that baby is safe and sound is the best way to go.  Just follow your gut, try to do as much research as possible, and don't let the influences of the doctors or anyone else pull you off of what you feel is the right course of action.  All the best.
    Thank you! Your comment makes me feel less crazy  :p

https://kellybroganmd.com/human-studies-condemn-ultrasound/
  • You are very welcome!