August 2016 Moms
Options

FTM Books to Read

There are so many suggestions of books to read about being pregnant, but there don't seem to be recommendations of books to read about taking care of baby after labor.  For all the second, third + time moms out there, do you have any recommendations?

Re: FTM Books to Read

• Options
    Belly Laughs
    Happiest Baby on the Block
    The Wonder Weeks
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    Does anyone also have recommendations for books for dad?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha. I bought my husband one called My Boys Can Swim!...he never opened it. Even though he's a voracious reader, he wasn't interested in reading baby books. I had better luck with articles and brochures.
  • Options
    cbpalagi said:

Does anyone also have recommendations for books for dad?

*lurking from July 16*
    The expectant father is awesome it isn't written by a frat boy or filled with unnecessary negativity towards the mother (ex. She's crazy now). It gives solid facts and science on what is going on with the baby what is happening to the mom and advice and things to think about for dad each month. It's great!
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I like the website fatherly, geared towards dads obviously but I enjoy reading it myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Belly laughs was great.
    What to expect the first year.

Just keep in mind motherhood is reading what all the expects tell you to do and then realizing most is crap and going on surivival mode/doing what is best for your family.

• Options
    Bumping this up! Does anyone else have anymore suggestions on books for Dads? DH mentioned wanting to start a book to learn a few things.
  • Options
    My hubby hasnt read any books but my suggestions for mommas - happiest baby on the block, baby whisperer, bringing up Bebe, and the wonder of boys 
  • Options
    The same author of The Expectant Father has several other books. He has one about the first year called The New Father. DH has really enjoyed reading The Expectant Father. We haven't purchased The New Father yet, but I think I'll do that now.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DH liked Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads--but we just borrowed it from the library.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell my hospital offered a happiest baby on the block class that came with a dvd. I highly suggest it. Watching those techniques being used on real babies was life watching a baby magician.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LadyBear10 Our hospital makes all new parents watch The Happiest Baby on the Block before they go home! Agree, it's great. Just grab it from the library.

For moms and dads both: The No-Cry Sleep Solution. Probably not til baby is 6 months or older, but it was great for helping us teach DS to fall asleep on his own without doing cry-it-out. Someone else mentioned The Wonder Weeks, which I don't think you necessarily need to read the book but there is an app and a website that tells you when the wonder weeks are. Super helpful when baby is just "off" and you can't figure out why!

• Options
    @ladybear10 @tisunge602 the video is key because I didn't really get how loud the shhhhh is done until watching it haha .. I found both the dvd and book at my local library 
  • Options
    "Dude, You're Gonna Be A Dad" is a great read for dads. It is written in a humorous tone but provides great info. "What to Expect: The First Year" is a great resource for Mom and Dad. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got my husband 'The baby owner's manual'. Great actual info in there but it's framed as an instruction manual for computer geeks. Being a computer geek, the format totally suited him and he could pop in and out of it. It was funny while also having actual facts, I think he learned a lot from it. 

He just asked what other books he could read yesterday so will be keeping an eye on this thread.
  • Options
    Moms on Call - super easy, quick read includes everything you need to know including amazing scheduled to get them sleeping well!

and as others have posted, Happiest Baby on the Block. I personally like the Wonder Weeks app, but didn't read the book. 

• Options
    FTM here, but I checked out the book Heading Home With Your Newborn from my library and have enjoyed it.