Trying to Get Pregnant

For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

Re: For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

• edited January 2016
    Well I'm super bummed. We leave in 2 days for Mexico and when I asked the travel doc about Zika this morning, she said to absolutely TTA for the next 2-3 months. We'll be in the desert in what's basically Southern California (and for only a week), but she said there was so much that we don't know about the virus and that in the last few days they've realized it's much more similar to Malaria in that it stays in your body longer than a initially thought (I think that's what she was describing. I was spiraling at the moment). Just like @MRSCORKER , we'll be travelling during my FW. And I was thinking that I could just lather myself in DEET. But the doc shut down that idea, too. I get that this is my first month TTC, so what's a few more months, right? IT'S EVERYTHING! At least that's how it feels today. But I'm with @MrsDho11 , if I did end up getting pregnant during this cycle, I would be even more worried and anxious about the baby's health. What a mind-f^ck!

ETA: Clarification

BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me - 33    DH - 30 
    Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since January 2016
    BFP 03/14/16
    EDD 11/22/16

• @SweetiePateetie - sorry about the bad news from your doctor. DH and I have been discussing our options today and are going to call our travel agent to find out if we cancel what the refund policy is. If I'm not KU then we'll probably still go, but we just entered the TWW and I'm feeling optimistic (but also super sad at the idea of canceling our trip). Like PPs have said, the risks (if KU) are just too big to chance it. Off to look for warm places in the US to visit...

• Loading the player...
  • This is likely a duplicate of info that @jolydan posted, but here is another update.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0UX2FI

I hadn't even thought about the travel draw to Brazil for the Olympics this summer. I am extremely grateful to be TTC where we are, and cannot even imagine the stress for women in those countries.

So sorry so many are having to make tough decisions. This crap is scary.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Hi all. TTC and have a trip to Turks and Caicos planned for the end of Feb. I consulted my dr and she said she would advise against traveling If I were indeed pregnant by that point. I am so conflicted what I should do. We didn't take the insurance so there will be a penalty either way. 

The virus isn't on the island yet - am I just being paranoid ???
  • @Mrscorker - thanks for posting your doctors response! It's not what any of us wants to hear, but I think we all need to hear it. Ugh.
    Aren't you going on a cruise though? I guess I'm just thinking of the times I've been on a cruise and can't recall seeing a single bug on the ship, unless you're getting off the boat then I could see being concerned...Sorry you're regretting booking the trip, I know the feeling and it sucks. Sending you creepy internet hugs.

• cwirth89 said:
    @Mrscorker - thanks for posting your doctors response! It's not what any of us wants to hear, but I think we all need to hear it. Ugh.
    Aren't you going on a cruise though? I guess I'm just thinking of the times I've been on a cruise and can't recall seeing a single bug on the ship, unless you're getting off the boat then I could see being concerned...Sorry you're regretting booking the trip, I know the feeling and it sucks. Sending you creepy internet hugs.
    We are going on a cruise. I've been on several and can't recall ever seeing a mosquito or getting bit but we will be getting off the boat at each port. We already decided against doing any jungle excursions so we'll just stick to the beach and load up on bug spray I guess. I'm gonna have him check my body for bites like you would for lice, although, if I get bit, it's not like I can do anything about it. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Update from my doc... she said "to be on the safe side" I should avoid TTC while on our trip. We've both kind of had our hearts set on trying for a cruise baby. I asked about testing and when it would be safe to resume TTC. She said we could start trying again when we get back and that no testing is necessary unless I become ill. Except, in her previous message she said only 20% of people present symptoms. So basically, no one knows anything. I'm so sad/mad. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• MRSCORKER said:
    Update from my doc... she said "to be on the safe side" I should avoid TTC while on our trip. We've both kind of had our hearts set on trying for a cruise baby. I asked about testing and when it would be safe to resume TTC. She said we could start trying again when we get back and that no testing is necessary unless I become ill. Except, in her previous message she said only 20% of people present symptoms. So basically, no one knows anything. I'm so sad/mad. 
    This.....is depressing.  I'm so sorry you're going to have to lose two months of TTC with this.  Two months may not seem like much in the long term but it's incredibly frustrating now.  
  • MRSCORKER said:
    Update from my doc... she said "to be on the safe side" I should avoid TTC while on our trip. We've both kind of had our hearts set on trying for a cruise baby. I asked about testing and when it would be safe to resume TTC. She said we could start trying again when we get back and that no testing is necessary unless I become ill. Except, in her previous message she said only 20% of people present symptoms. So basically, no one knows anything. I'm so sad/mad. 
    This.....is depressing.  I'm so sorry you're going to have to lose two months of TTC with this.  Two months may not seem like much in the long term but it's incredibly frustrating now.  
    It's incredibly frustrating. I keep thinking that maybe we'll still try while we're there and I'll just drown myself in deet but I know that's playing with fire. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this all dies down in the next month or so. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• ^ ^ this + being pregnant especially PGAL for some gals is stressful enough you won't want to spend weeks worrying about potential effects. I'm sorry for those who have to TTA but on the long run you'll be grateful
  • Thanks @brambles1, that was really helpful. @gardeniagirlknits You're totally right, I'm being a bit of a brat about it. I've just been so impatient since my CP. I was saying to my H yesterday that my next BFP will be stressful enough after our loss, I don't need anything else to worry about. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @MRSCORKER it's okay, I totally get that having to wait sucks. More than sucks. But your right about not needing anything else to worry about... I can't imagine what the stress that you'll be experiencing with a bfp after a cp, I'm so sorry you've been through that. I hope your cruise is romantic and fun nonetheless. Hugs!

Married May 2014
    TTC Nov 2014-Aug 2016
    Aug 2015 Dx: Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos
    Total Thyroidectomy October 2015 
    Ovarian Cystectomy Nov 2015
    CANCER FREE and resumed TTC Dec 2015.

• ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Whoaaaa. I had been looking into trips to the DR because there always seem to be great deals, but guess that's out for an indefinite number of years.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Whoaaaa. I had been looking into trips to the DR because there always seem to be great deals, but guess that's out for an indefinite number of years.
    We were planning a last minute trip there for February but are now doing a staycation instead. I really wanted to lay on the beach all day, but with an RE appointment approaching I'll gladly give up the sun.
  • @missteacherlady16 I just read articles about El Salvador and was going to post it here too! I can't imagine having my dreams of starting a family postponed indefinitely. I'm really starting to panic about this virus making its way up here.

Me: 28  DH: 28
    TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    Dx: Both tubes blocked, PCOS, DOR, RPL
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    Instagram: KateDoesIVF

• @missteacherlady16 I just read articles about El Salvador and was going to post it here too! I can't imagine having my dreams of starting a family postponed indefinitely. I'm really starting to panic about this virus making its way up here.

My thoughts exactly. Can you Imagine living there TTC!? My heart :(

Married May 2014
    TTC Nov 2014-Aug 2016
    Aug 2015 Dx: Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos
    Total Thyroidectomy October 2015 
    Ovarian Cystectomy Nov 2015
    CANCER FREE and resumed TTC Dec 2015.

• @Mlight28 that's good news! I need to call this week and deal with canceling my flights.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• I just read a BBC article that predictes this spreading "through the Americas". Great.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • atcwag said:

I just read a BBC article that predictes this spreading "through the Americas". Great.

Yeah I read something similar about the World Health Organization announcing its imminent spread. What do we do? Just never go outside and wear lots of bug spray? Is bug spray ok for pregnant/ttc women?

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left

• I just read a BBC article that predictes this spreading "through the Americas". Great.
    Yeah I read something similar about the World Health Organization announcing its imminent spread. What do we do? Just never go outside and wear lots of bug spray? Is bug spray ok for pregnant/ttc women?
    My doc advised to wear lots of bug spray on my trip. I'm sure that will be the same advice. Luckily, we have a while before mosquitos will be out here during winter. I'm guessing we'll be advised to stay out of the woods/stagnant water, cover up and spray. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Ugh this blows.  At first I was all "Oh, I'll be okay I'm too poor to travel to cool places anyways" but now it's just going to come to me.  I live within 3 hours of the US/Mexico border so it's not looking good for my state.
  • Hopefully they can get that vaccine out ASAP.  Until then I am dousing myself in bug spray on vacation in Mexico and will do they same this spring/summer if it comes this far north.

Also I emailed my resort to ask if they fogged for mosquitoes and as I was worried about the pregnancy risks of the Zika virus and they emailed me back to tell me not to worry, and they had a full time doctor on site.  Thanks but not helpful.  Then theyIt took me two more emails to get an answer to my question.  They also assured me that they carry all natural deet-free repellant when I asked about finding repellent with deet there (we're only doimg carry-on).  It makes me nervous that the staff there are so unaware of the whole situation.  It's a romantic couples resort so I'm sure a lot of babies are getting made there.  I would have preferred a "yes we fog and eliminate standing water" response.
  • Hopefully they can get that vaccine out ASAP.  Until then I am dousing myself in bug spray on vacation in Mexico and will do they same this spring/summer if it comes this far north.
    Is there a vaccine in the works?

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @MRSCORKER I heard that they are working on a vaccine (which would ideally be given to girls before they are sexually active, similar to the HPV vaccine), but that it's 3-5 years away. Doesn't help us a ton...
    Me: 34
    Husband: 34
    Married: June 2014
  • MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited January 2016
    kirby1220 said:

@MRSCORKER I heard that they are working on a vaccine (which would ideally be given to girls before they are sexually active, similar to the HPV vaccine), but that it's 3-5 years away. Doesn't help us a ton...

Yeah, thanks for nothing! Lol

ETA: A pill like they have for Malaria or a shot like for yellow fever would be ideal. Get on it scientist people.

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited January 2016
    It's such a scary situation.  My heart is aching for pretty much anyone who lives where the mosquito species are endemic.  I do hope they can fast track a vaccine for women planning to become pregnant.  It sounds like it would be most effective to protect women during the TTC phase.

What gets me about all the warnings (and I'm not in an affected area or anything, so this is heresay and not something I'm worried about for myself) is that they say "just avoid mosquitoes" like that is an easy thing to do.  I can't be the only one, but even if I slather myself in DEET I still get bitten, and we live in an urban/suburban area.  I love being outside, live for it really, and don't feel comfortable with DEET as a chemical, so I usually just spray a little all natural stuff and suffer the itches.  Really the only way I could avoid bites completely would be stay inside all the time and wear a rain suit when moving from my house to my car.  It would suck, sure, but I could deal with it.  For women who need to work outside to make ends meet, however, that's a complete impossibility.  I'm guessing that's a pretty common situation in many of the affected nations.  

• Agreed with you both. It's a very good point. An impossible, heartbreaking situation.
  • It's also been confirmed that the virus has arrived in St. Croix (in the USVIs). This case is "native" meaning that the woman had no travel history to infected places previously. 

We shoveled my in laws out (12 hours worth of shoveling!) and I joked with DH that they owed us a trip to their place on St. Thomas. DH, who apparently listens to me way more than I give him credit for, said "but you can't go there because of that virus." 

@TheBorg7of9 and @MrsDho11That quote from Brazil's minister of health gave me shivers. I can't even imagine what the women there are going through. 
    Me: 34
    Husband: 34
    Married: June 2014
  • PennStateCaitPennStateCait member
    edited January 2016
    Top story on Yahoo right now: 

U.S. Issues Treatment Guidelines for Infants Exposed to Zika

eta: link

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015

• kmmnocalkmmnocal member
    edited January 2016
    Zika is super, super scary. Over the summer, I traveled to Vietnam and India and used tea tree oil in my hair and on pulse points. It's a natural mosquito repellant, and it worked for me (and I'm usually a magnet.) To be fair, I did carry deet wipes and used them at dusk or if we were in a particularly buggy situation. I think I came home with only one or two bites after three weeks. 

ETA: I personally wouldn't travel to affected countries; posting this for future reference this summer. 
  • Just saw this article posted on CNN about halting the spread of Zika in the US - it made me feel a little better.  

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/health/halting-spread-of-zika-united-states/index.html
  • I'm thinking if I am not pregnant by April, I will TTA until October...
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009