3rd Trimester

Breastfeeding

I'm a first time mom and am due 2/23/16. I'm wanting to only pump and feed my baby through a bottle instead of her consuming my milk through my breasts so that my husband can help feed and we work as a team. My mother thinks I'm going about this the wrong way and that I won't have that bond with my baby and I'm only thinking of myself and not my baby. Is she right? Am I being selfish? And if not will be hospital allow this? If my milk doesn't come in what do I feed her til it does? Formula? Please help me!

Re: Breastfeeding

• ^^couldnt have said it better myself.

You'll bond with your child no matter what. It sounds like your Mom breastfed and is pushing that choice on you. This will be the first of many parenting decisions but it's ultimately yours.

As a background I BF and pumped (for date nights and a few overnight trips) and BFing was relatively easy for me after the first week but pumping was really hard. Do what feels right for you, for me it was BF (I'm lazy and didn't want to deal with bottles) but if I had difficulty like many women do I would have found a solution that worked for our family - whether that's exclusively pumping for formula feeding.

When I hear comments about breastfeeding and bonding it makes me feel for all the Mom's who can't, chose not to or adopt. Their kids aren't any less loved.
  • Loading the player...
  • Exclusively pumping is really hard. DD refused to breastfeed and never once latched, so I was forced to EP. For the first few weeks I would pump, feed DD, repeat. All day, every day. I ended up only being able to EP for a couple of months because I couldn't keep my supply up, and then we ended up having to use formula.

Obviously it's totally your choice, but I would maybe try starting off with BF so your LO can at least learn how in case you feel completely overwhelmed with pumping like I did.
  • I echo everything said. You can feed your child however you'd like and it's really none of your mom's business.

That said, EP is HARD. And frustrating. You very well might not get anything the first few times that you pump, and you'll have to express in a different way. Alternatively (some women have done this AFTER clearing with their OB), you could pump some colostrum while you're still pregnant if you're lactating already (again, PLEASE CHECKUP WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST), save the colostrum in syringes, freeze it, and take it with you to the hospital.

Back to EP: I would not choose to do that again. I was constantly pumping, my supply struggled, I got mastitis and clogged frequently because, like someone else said, pumps aren't as effective. Not to mention the time washing everything, etc. I felt like I missed out on a lot, and as he got older, I found it harder to pump because he needed more of my time. I recommend finding an IBCLC, taking your husband, and talking about it with her. If it's still something you want to try, you'll at the very least be able to get some tips from her.

Keep in mind that there are a variety of ways that you can "work as a team" that doesn't involve being strapped down to a machine all day.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have EP'd with both DS and now DD; I never wanted to breastfeed but wanted both babies to have breastmilk. I have not had any problems bonding with either of my children. In fact, sometimes I think I had it easier than EBF moms because we never went through any tough phases trying to get LO to latch and no issues later with weaning. I will admit that cleaning all the parts can get frustrating, so I bought four sets so I only have to wash them all first thing in the morning and right before bed. It does take up a good chunk of your time as well, unless you are pretty good at multitasking. My SIL EP and could feed her daughter while pumping; I do not have that ability, even with the hands-free bra.

I have not had any issues with clogged ducts due to the pump, though I did gwt one from waiting too long between sessions and another from wearing too tight of a bra.

I never had luck pumping colostrum in the hospital, so I suggest looking up on youtube how to hand express, if you want to give that to baby before you milk comes in. I also hand expressed and froze colostrum in syringes starting at 37 weeks, so I had about 25-30 syringes that I fed to DD while at the hospital.

Sorry this was so long, I just don't want you to feel like you are alone in wanting to EP. You can be quite successful!
  • We did a combination of the two. 

I actually thought it was really great for a few reasons:

1.  The baby learned to take a bottle quickly instead of having to make the transition later on when it was time for him to start going to daycare

2. We both got the benefit of the closeness that breastfeeding offers and the immunological benefits of feeding directly from the breast (baby saliva passes signals through the breast while sucking that tells mama what specific antibodies to make to pass back to baby)

3.  I got a break for the pre-bedtime feeding, when hubby gave him a bottle of pumped milk.

• One more thing I remembered about pumping and bottle feeding - It was SOOOO much more work.  It felt like I was doing dishes 24/7 because I had to keep washing the pumping parts and the bottles.
  • aclw0509 said:
    I'm a first time mom and am due 2/23/16. I'm wanting to only pump and feed my baby through a bottle instead of her consuming my milk through my breasts so that my husband can help feed and we work as a team. My mother thinks I'm going about this the wrong way and that I won't have that bond with my baby and I'm only thinking of myself and not my baby. Is she right? Am I being selfish? And if not will be hospital allow this? If my milk doesn't come in what do I feed her til it does? Formula? Please help me!

I recommend taking a breastfeeding class. I wish that I would have because I had many of the same questions and everything was unknown to me. Your milk will take a while to come in, if it comes in at all (or if you even have enough) so you should have a game plan ahead of time. If your hospital is anything like mine, they will put massive pressure on you to breastfeed and it's super stressful right after having a baby.

Things might not go perfectly as planned but with taking a class, maybe reading some books, you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to try to do right after baby comes in regards to BF'ing. I can admit that BF'ing, or at least trying to BF was the single hardest thing about having a baby.

• aclw0509 said:
    There isn't a "wrong" way to feed your baby, as all babies and parents are completely different.  

However, don't be discouraged from breastfeeding just so your husband can help feed.
    You can still breastfeed and pump, which is what I plan to do.  
    I will breastfeed when I'm feeding our son (unless I'm in a situation where it's not feasible) and pump for storage so that my husband can use breastmilk in a bottle when it's his turn feed.
  • I agree with PP- there is no wrong way to feed your baby. I EPed with my first because we really struggled with latch. It was hard and extremely time consuming. I pumped 4-5 hours a day (30 minutes every 2-3 hours) so my days revolved around my pump. It was nice having help with feedings, especially at night, but this time around I'm hoping to breastfeed because EPing was time consuming. When DD was a newborn it was easy to feed her and pump at the same time, but when she was about 3 months old she started pulling on the tubes and stuff so I couldn't feed her as I pumped, so basically I would pump for 30 minutes and then feed her for 15-20 instead of feeding and pumping at the same time. If you do decide to go the EPing route make sure you get an electric double pump and a hands free pumping bra so you can actually do some other things while you pump- I would fold laundry or make grocery lists etc :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think you and your husband would benefit from going to a breastfeeding class at your hospital (even if you exclusively pump, you are still technically breastfeeding). It was beneficial for me and my husband to understand every aspect of it. I nursed my son (fed from the breast) and pumped, and we eventually had to supplement with some formula. Every mom and every child is different. You need to do what feels right to you. That said, I will agree with PPs that EPing is VERY hard and you need to be extremely committed. If your only consideration for EPing is so that your husband can help, there are plenty of ways he can do that that include you nursing. (I don't want to assume that that is the only reason you don't want to nurse directly, only you know that). That's why I think a BFing class would be good for you. They explore all aspects of the process. 

I will say that your mother and plenty of others are going to be offering up advice for the entire time you are a mom. You're going to have to learn to ignore them and have confidence in the decisions you are making as the parents...you'll be a lot happier in the long run. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My baby gets all 3 - milk from my breasts, pumped milk, and formula.

80% of the time I nurse her and it's great. If she gets a feeding or two of formula from my husband, I'll pump and save the milk for later.

We all want to do what is best for our babies but doing what's right for momma is hugely important too. So no, you aren't being selfish at all.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Definitely talk to a LC, they will be able to hopefully help you in the beginning with how much you want to pump to get your milk supply up. Let them know over the phone that you plan to EP. You may also want to rent a hospital grade pump at first, they are more efficient at pumping.
  • Others have it covered, I just wanted to chime in & say I support you in however you choose to feed your child. Your bond is great no matter how you feed. I FF'd after BF didn't work out with DD. She & I are just as bonded as my son who is still BF.

Keep in mind that some babies refuse bottles all together. My son refused. Absolutely refused to take a bottle. When I had to go out of town to attend to a family crisis (taking my dad off life support in another city) we had to resort to syringe, dropper & spoon + cup feeding of BM or formula. So you might have plans for bottle feeding that go awry because every baby has their own preferences. If you want to EBF you just have to remember to be flexible.

Personally? I despised the pump, the washing, the storing, potentially faulty storage bags & reheating the milk if I needed it. For me, popping a boob was easier & so much less work. For some it is not & I recognize that. I've both bottle & breast fed. If I get to choose (and circumstances don't decide for me) I prefer EBF directly from the breast.

You have to figure out, once baby is here, which way works best for baby & you. Everyone else's advice is just background noise, really. You know what works for you & so you need to believe in yourself.

Wishing you the very best no matter which method you discover works best. A fed baby is a happy baby & that is what is best in the long run.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Agree with all the PPs that you are doing a great thing by feeding your baby however you see fit. I don't think your mom is trying to be rude, probably. She's likely trying to give you the same advice that many others here have, but with a grandma guilt twist because she thinks that'll get ya to do it her way;) you will bond with baby no matter how you feed her. Absolutely, without a doubt. But I will agree that breastfeeding has always been much easier than pumping for me, like many of the PPs. If you were one of my girlfriends I would encourage you to give it a shot, just to see. You can always transition to more or less pumping at different points, too. You don't have to have it all figured out right away:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thank you all so much for the great information and advice you have all given me!! I'm still in between on whether to EP or BF and pump together. I have 5 weeks left to decide. I am taking a BF class so hopefully that helps too. Thank you all again
  • As far as bonding, you will have that no matter how you feed your baby. EP is really tough and you will establish a much better supply if you breastfeed too. I would EBF for a least a couple weeks then start pumping after feedings to build up a freezer supply, that way you can BF when your home. I think going into it planning to EP is making things harder on yourself.

• doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited January 2016
    Do not let anyone convince you you won't bond with your baby if you don't feed it "right." I lost my milk and cried to my daughters doctor about how in the world I would bond with her bc I had read BFing from the breast was the only way to have this special bond, etc.. I ended up formula feeding and bonded with her just the same as with BFing. As long as you love on/love your baby you will bond and it has nothing to do with how you're feeding her. It will have everything to do with you being her mom and loving her. Skin to skin contact is a great way to bond and DH can do it too. 

ETA: words
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I had a breast reduction and ultimately gave into formula feeding, after two desperate weeks of not being able to get more than a few mls per 20 minute pumping session in a hospital grade pump. I could breastfeed for about 30 seconds a boob before the kid gave up.

First: pumping will definitely get your milk in. It will also make your uterus contract. However, the baby's better at getting the milk out than the pump, so you may find yourself having supply issues. Also, the mentality of being hooked up to a machine can be so off putting for some women that they have difficulty getting their milk to let down.

Second, I don't know about the hospital you'll be at, but my hospital had a pump on every bedside table and nurses were totally free with getting tubing for people. If this is your first kid, I still recommend going to breastfeeding classes, talking to the hospital lactation counselors and practicing a latch so you're confident with all of your options.

Third, breast feeding is a gazillion times more complicated than you think. Definitely do your research in advance so you can make informed choices and so you can make your experience the best possible experience for you and your family.

Fourth, and most importantly, you WILL bond with your child. If anything, you're giving your DH and your child an incredibly precious, selfless gift by ensuring that he, too, gets to experience an incredible bonding experience. The more time you spend with your baby, the stronger your bond will be. It's really that simple.
  • I would start out with both so you have the option to choose which balance you want once you have in-person experience with both approaches.  You can still pump and have your partner give half the feedings while you still breastfeed for half the feedings.  I both pumped & breastfed for my first, and liked the flexibility of being able to do both.  The washing and extra time that pumping takes is enough of a barrier that I personally won't choose to exclusively pump for baby 2.  But you might feel differently.

in terms of those first few days, baby nurses and/or you pump to stimulate your breasts.  In general, you don't need to supplement with formula as the colostrum is sufficient for most babies until your milk comes in.

and as for your particular hospital, you'll have to ask!

• PPs said everything really well...I'll echo that for me nursing is easy and pumping is a huge hassle. I do it at work all week and it's the worst. I read a whole book about EPing while pregnant bc I thought I wanted to do it too. I wound up changing my mind.

I will also offer that the "wanting DH to help with feedings" argument is only valid after you get your supply regulated...at least 6 weeks, if not 12. Which means you will have to get up and pump at night every time the baby gets a bottle until your supply is settled. Therefore EP won't help you get any more sleep until at least 2 months in. My kid started STTN at 3 months, so that wouldn't have been worth it for me. Some kids don't STTN for a really long time though so it might help you then, assuming you get enough pumped during the day. I pumped MOTN until LO was 4 months old, even when she slept through, to build a freezer stash.

I'll offer also that when I was home on maternity leave i could only pump once DH was home for the night. LO was high maintenance those first 3 months and wouldn't accept me putting her down for the amount of time necessary to get a pump session in. So consider that as well. If I had no choice but to EP I'm sure I would have figured it out somehow but it wasn't worth it for me.

If you want to EP I'd look into renting a hospital grade pump for the first 2-3 months...they are a lot better than home models and would really help build your supply.
  • As others have said, you are a success no matter how you feed your baby! 

I pumped for 16months for twins.  I had to pump as they were in the nicu, and then they never got the hang of breastfeeding, so I kept pumping.  You CAN maintain your supply pumping, but everyone is different.  You are going to have to do what is best for you and baby. 

This time around, I am planning to try to nurse from the breast, but I also know that I can pump if needed.  I like the convenience factor of being able to take baby out without the pump, etc.

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I am also planning for a RCS.  My aunt, a nurse anesthetist, told me her best advice is to drink as much gatorade (or equivalent) as possible the day before surgery.  Good Luck to you all!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I exclusively pumped for my son for 6 months-- then I went on a birth control that wasn't supposed to impact my supply & it ended up drying me completely.

I never had ANY issue with bonding, etc.  That is like saying that mothers who are physically incapable to lactate are doing wrong by their babies... that parents who adopt infants are doing wrong by their babies...

Your mother obviously doesn't know what she is talking about.
  • I completely disagree with the bonding aspect- I exclusively pumped with DD1 and had no issues there. I breastfed DD2 for about 5 mos and switched to formula and for US it almost strengthened our bond because I was less stressed and more at ease. No one can tell you what to do with your baby, and you will be bonded no matter how you choose to feed. Good luck!
  • Obviously, do whatever you're most comfortable with. 

I will say, though, that you don't have to exclusively pump to have a teamwork mindset with your spouse. I don't see why you couldn't BF when you feed baby, then bottle feed when he does. You can work extra pumping sessions in to your routine so that he'll always have the milk, too. 

Anyway, that stuck out to me more than the EPing did. That's your own choice, I just don't see it as a necessity to accomplish your goal. 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • My friend tried just pumping and it just didnt' stimulate her to make as much milk. I told her put that baby to your breast and she started producing enough milk. My pump never got all my milk out. I could feel a difference when I fed my baby they emptied  my milk and gave me more relief. My sister also got blisters from pumping so much, on a high suction. Breastfeeding at night is also so much easier than someone getting up warming milk or making a bottle. I had baby in crib beside me and would just lay on my side breastfeed then put him back in his crib. A lot easier for a sleep deprived parent in my opinion. Plus no pump or bottle to clean at night:) Really enjoyed breastfeeding and a lot of the time your holding baby anyway so it just cuts out on extra time you'd have to spend pumping, etc.
  • I formula-fed DS, and DD is completely breastfed.
    I'd breastfeed again hands down, because I'm too damn lazy to faff about with bottles, and panicking about just how much to take out for the day. I find it all much easier "on tap".
    The reason, though, that DS was formula, was because I just could not breastfeed him, so, in that situation, breast was not easier at all.
    I did try pumping for a month. I'd get about 2oz a day, enough maybe for one feed.
    And I'd be on the pump for hours a day getting that.

How you feed your baby is 51% your choice, 49% dad's choice, and zero concern of anyone else as long as s/he's getting fed somehow.

ETA: busted by zombie-thread.
  • Good for you for deciding to use breast milk in any capacity! Your mom needs to respect your decision. That being said depending on your goal for how long to us breast milk,  pumping only will probably not allow you to keep up your supply for very long.

Just to share my experience, I am pregnant with DD #2 and I am going to try a new route to nursing. You may want to try this method too just to build up your supply that you and hubby can feed new baby breast milk for longer. This time around I am going to exclusive breast feed for the first month (last time I pumped and nursed from the get go). After that I am going to start pumping in tandem with nursing, so that hubby can help with feeding her. With my first DD I was able to make it a year nursing but my supply dwindled dramatically after the first few months and had to mix it 50/50 with formula. My goal is to avoid that this time and also still be able to involve hubby and pump. 

My husband has 2 DDs of his own but their mother never nursed so I've been doing research in order to see how he can be more involved. The suggestions I have come across are things like letting him burp and change the baby after feeding. Also, he can massage your neck, help get the baby latched on, etc. Plenty of suggestions out there. 

I know there is a lot of unsolicited advice in here and I apologize for the rambling, good luck on however you guys decide to handle feeding your new little one! :)
  • Just to point out that this thread is from 2.5 years ago... She's probably had the baby, fed it either way, and done with the breastfeeding saga by now.
  • AlygohomeAlygohome member
    edited June 2016

I exclusively pumped for 11 months with my daughter and fed her expressed breast milk until she was almost a year. I also fed a friends child for a few months and donated 22 L to the Nicu. You can do it if that is what you want, and breastfeeding isn't for everyone and every baby (it sure wasn't for me!)

ETA: I only stopped because my dd had a dairy allergy and after 11 months with no dairy I was jonesing for some pizza and I got pregnant around then anyway!