Infertility
Options

New and Looking For Support

Hi...

We have been TTC for just about 20 months now with all BFN results. I am now 32 and I had been on BCPS for more than a decade and stopped taking them about a month before we really started TTC. There were some months where we weren't really where we were supposed to be in terms of hitting the timing mark, but after more than 12 months we got a referral to get DH tested. We were informed that he has "borderline" male IF. After that I had several tests done and everything seems to be where it should be on my end.

We just did our second IUI with Clomid yesterday, 1/11/16. RE said it looked like there "might be" two follicles when we did the ultrasound on Friday, we were set for IUI Tuesday, but I had O w/o HCG trigger on Sunday 1/11/16. The first IUI was a BFN (on Christmas Day, I should just have waited for the day after) and DH was very disappointed, even though statistically the success rate for IUI doesn't seem great. Disappointed to the point where it felt like I had no outlet for my own feelings of disappointment because I had to be positive for the "team". On the first round RE said the sperm count was 22M, but I'm not sure if that was post wash or pre-wash. This time he said that the count was 6.5M post-wash.

I remember being really excited to start TTC, and we had jazzy positive thoughts going in, but now I feel like we will never get a BFP. But I feel like I can't express this feeling to DH because it would discourage him more than I can bear. Looking for support / thoughts / outlet here.

Me: 32
DH: 46 - Borderline Male IF
Married to DH since 9/13
TTC since 5/14
12/15 1st IUI BFN (Clomid)
1/16 2nd IUI BFN (Clomid)
2/16 3rd IUI BFN (Clomid)
3/16 4th IUI BFN (Clomid)
7/29/16 - 1st IVF - Transferred (2) 6 day blastocysts, PGS. One Frozen 6 day blastocyst. - BFP
Beta #1 - 8/10/16 - 10dp6dt - 481; Beta #2 - 8/17/16 - 17dp6dt - 6,635; Ultra Sound - 8/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: New and Looking For Support

• Options
    I think you've found the right place! Many of us have been TTC for a long time and know how frustrating it is. I too was really excited to start TTC, but now I'm just so over it. I also feel like we'll never get a BFP that sticks and my DH is ever the optimist, saying we'll do IVF however many times it takes to get a baby. I don't share his optimism! I think that TTC can be tough on a guy when his side of it is the problem. I know for me, I am the problem, so it is much harder on me than my DH. I've found that the ladies (and few gentleman) on this board are awesome, supportive and loving.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    Welcome! Sorry you have to be here.. But there is a lot of support from this community! I totally understand your fear of it never working, I worry about the same!! Good luck in your journey! We will get there!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm new, too! I haven't been actively trying as long as you, but I have PCOS and knew the infertility was going to be an issue before we ever started trying. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts. I don't know much about Clomid or IUI, but I know there are a lot of ladies on here who have had those experiences!
  • Options
    It's super frustrating and it takes all the fun out of sex!

Married to DH since 9/13
    TTC since 5/14
    7/29/16 - 1st IVF - Transferred (2) 6 day blastocysts, PGS. One Frozen 6 day blastocyst. - BFP
    Beta #1 - 8/10/16 - 10dp6dt - 481; Beta #2 - 8/17/16 - 17dp6dt - 6,635; Ultra Sound - 8/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    AandDM2014AandDM2014 member
    edited January 2016
    At least with IUI your DH has to be at the clinic the same day you are! With IVF/FET your DH does his job once and technically doesn't have to be with you when you transfer. Oh yeah, and at my clinic they say no sex at all the day before until after a positive beta! Talk about taking the fun out of sex!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    Welcome! I know exactly how you feel. I also feel like it's never going to happen. I've been through 3 IUIs now with all BFNs and I feel like seeing those 2 lines on the HPT is just not even possible. Just hang in there. This place is filled with lots of support and I constantly learn new things when I'm reading posts on here. Reading other success stories makes me hopeful, so don't give up and things will happen for you. GL! 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    Welcome @MarlyHC!  You've come to a good place.  My husband and I are also dealing with MFI issues, and everything seems to be fine on my end.  You and your husband are a team though, and fertility is a joint thing.  I think most couples would say that they share in the disappointment and grief, no matter who has the infertility diagnosis.  I think it's so important to never place blame on anyone when it comes to fertility, because what our bodies choose to do is out of our control.  I'm just thankful that we are both healthy otherwise, and we're doing the best that we can.

Our sperm count seems to be pretty similar to yours (at our IUI we had 7 million post wash), and rather than continue with IUIs and having less than a 10% chance of success with those numbers, we decided to take our RE's referral to a urologist who specializes in male infertility.  My DH also suffers from low T and the urologist said that the supplement he was taking to increase T (androgel) is likely causing low sperm count.  So he took DH off androgel and prescribed him clomid instead to increase T.  We're hoping this will help, but we won't find out until 1/28 when he gets another SA.

Did your RE recommend that you meet with a urologist?
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    Welcome @MarlyHC! Best of luck to you.
    Me: 33, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 36, No known issues
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

Oct-Dec 2015: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI = BFN x 2
    Feb-May 2016: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN x 3
    August 2016: Clomid 100mg no response, Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN

• Options

wifeinraleigh28 our RE has not made any other recommendations yet.

We did a lot of testing...and found out I had lost immunity to Rubella. So I got re-vaccinated and since it's a live vaccine had to wait 1-month before trying again. He also recommended a supplement for DH, which I suspect accounts for some of the difference between IUI #1 count and IUI #2 count because he has fallen off taken them on a regular basis.

I am shocked at the grief I felt. I was so hopeful, and that first BFN after IUI #1 was so emotional. Even more than any of the other months of trying and BFN.

I'm also just not sure if continuing with IUI makes sense or if there are other options to boost his count before we go to IVF, which I'm not sure if we can really afford (we are paying out of pocket).

Married to DH since 9/13
    TTC since 5/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Welcome to the board. I'm new too. Ive heard of men taking clomid to boost their count. Has that been mentioned? Is he seeing a urologist? I can relate to the devastating BFNs, It seems like since I was diagnosed and started treatment I'm like OK we know the problem we fixed I should definitely get pregnant and then I'm not, and its awful. Not mention the money it feels like we are throwing in a fire...My fingers are crossed for you and I hope this is your month.
  • Options
    Welcome! Sorry you have to be here.  I think the BFN after the IUI is much harder, since we are all expecting it to work (my nurse called me a few hours before the end of the day, I had to leave early, I couldn't stop crying at my desk...)  Hopefully this cycle is your cycle!

At the beginning I've heard it is fun (DH has azoospermia, so, BDing is just for fun) but it definitely becomes more and more stressful.  As long as you both are doing what you can to help the situation, I think you should express these feelings with him.  Like @wifeinraleigh28 said, it's both of you in it together, it wouldn't be fair to just dump on him, but you should both be able to talk about what's going on in a way that isn't pointing fingers at each other.
  • Options
    we do talk about it, and DH is supportive. It's just hard because I feel like when he feels that it will never happen, at least one of us has to keep their chin up so we don't totally implode. If that makes sense.

Married to DH since 9/13
    TTC since 5/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Welcome! I'm new to all of this too, with severe MFI (no sperm in any samples) and wanted to wish you luck! In terms of keeping "our chins up" I think we take turns to be honest lol. Some days I'm a wallowing mess of self pity and other days it's him. We try to balance each other so if he's having a hard time after some doctor appointment/news, I try to be the cheerleader. The next day once he calms down I bring out my concerns. It can all be overwhelming for sure. Good luck! 
    4/15/16: Beta 379, 4/18/16: Beta 1358! 
    5/2/16: 2 heartbeats  <3  <3
    5/11/16: Baby A hb180, Baby B hb166 

Due 12/22/16 with two! 

• Options
    @mrsstarski86 I know the feeling. DH props me up all the time. It's just so hard when we are both so down and disappointed at the same time.

Married to DH since 9/13
    TTC since 5/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Welcome and sorry you've ended up having to come here! I really hope you have a successful IUI, but if you do have the unfortunate luck of having to switch to IVF one day, success rates are pretty decent with MFI as a diagnosis. My husband also has azoospermia and even w his surgically retrieved samples, we had great fertilization rates IVF and ICSI
    ***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016

• Options
    Hello and welcome. I think you'll quickly learn how wonderful this place is.
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • Options
    thanks @laurenlalap. It's great to have a place where people actually understand. I think one of the hardest parts has been all the ladies in my life that have had no problems, and they really don't get why we can't just get pregnant. 

Married to DH since 9/13
    TTC since 5/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @MarlyHC I totally understand. It seems as though ALL of the women in my life are fertile myrtle! My mother had 3 children with no problems, and my sister got pregnant with my nephew literally, on her wedding night. When I was in high school, it seemed pregnancy was contagious (small town living), and had I known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have been as worried about getting pregnant "before I was ready". It's hard, and I'm new here, but already feel a huge relief to have access to these boards. To be surrounded by so many other people going exactly thru what you are, is really helpful. Especially when it seems as though you can't get that understanding at home. Welcome! You will like it here...

Married February 2014

Me:34 DH: 34
    TTC since May 2014

Jan. 2016: 1st round of Clomid - stopped due to OHSS

Feb 2016: 1st RE apt - diagnosed with PCOS still possible uterine septum. Put on BC for cysts, HSG will be in March

March 2016: HSG showed both tubes blocked (right tube holding fluid), no uterine septum, need surgery

April 2016:  Surgery to remove right (hydrosalpinx) fallopian tube and adhesions from the left - all went well!

May 2016: Waiting to start 3 months of un-monitored cycles in July with metformin and letrozole. If no success, going straight to IVF!

• Options
    @MarlyHC - your story is similar to mine in that all our tests keep coming back "normal" with the only outlier being MF low morphology. So we skipped IUI and went straight to IVF. Two rounds of IVF all negative (never once had a positive) and we're just gearing up for IVFs 3 and if needed 4. (1 fresh, 1 frozen). You'll definitely find some great support here. Wishing you the best of luck. Welcome. 
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Options
    Hello,Marly! So sorry to hear all this. I know how it feels to be at a little bit of loss.
    But this is temporary state only. As we have to stay strong whatever happens on our path.
    I've also heard IUI rates are not very high but I suppose it to be so due to individual reasons each couple has. If this treatment is ineffective a good expert doesn't suggest it. Exapt the cases one wants to loom your money..
    Welcome to this board! It's really a nice place to be in. You're just sure to share your feelings and expectations without fear of being insulted - this makes good.
    People here are in the same boat with you, so they're understanding and supporting enough to bring you at ease. This is so important sometimes..
    Briefly about myself. 6 years ago faced 2 miscarriages in a row. Was diagnosed on endometriosis and PCOS. Had unsuccessful surgery - left ovary scarring. Cycles of DE in biotexcom fertility center - am 25 weeks pregnant.
    Wish you all the best and feel free to ask everything you're interested in. Strong hugs for you xx
  • Options
    @MarlyHC - I think you've come to the right place for people to understand your feelings.  Its unfortunate for you to have to join this club, but its awesome that such a support network exists.  I regularly say this now, going through the process of TTC and evaluations of why it isn't happening is a LONELY process.  It doesn't matter if you have an awesome husband/partner, it just feels lonely.  For me, my shift changed when I was in my first round of IVF.  My husband gave me all of the shots, and we really felt like partners through the process.  I'm super fortunate we were successful in our first round.  That isn't always the case.  Please make sure you continue in this community, because it was a tremendous support network for me the first cycle.
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm new here too and it was such a great decision to start posting!  It is so nice to have a place to vent to other who truly understand.  Best of luck to you!
    ***TW***

Me: 27, Endometriosis
    DH: 30
    Married: 06/2012
    TTC #1 since 09/2014
    10/2015 1st IUI BFN (Gonal-F & Ovidrel)
    07/2016 2nd IUI BFN (Femara, Gonal-F, Ovidrel & Progesterone)
    08/2016 3rd IUI  BFN (Femara, Gonal-F, Ovidrel & Progesterone)
    Planned IVF in Summer 2017
    Surprise BFP 11/28/16: Beta 1 - 2311, Beta 2 - 6049; EDD 8/4/17
  • Options
    I'm new here too. We are in a similar situation. Though my tests look good, aside from one blocked tube, my husband is 100% infertile (due to childhood cancer treatments). We have had 5 unsuccessful natural (unmedicated) IUI attempts and I am now considering Clomid for my next round. 

My husband I and seem to trade off being the disappointed one. Maybe when he's feeling better you can let him know how your feeling? You shouldn't bottle it all up though I bet he appreciates your positivity when he's having a hard time.

I don't know how helpful my response is but I just wanted to thank you for posting. I haven't been able to find many posts from women who only have been dealing with MFI and not PCOS or another complicating factor (no offense to those ladies who have those conditions!). I feel very alone in my own situation/frustration and I thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    stranzmstranzm member
    edited February 2016
    @S&amp;H&C - My process is also due to MFI.  It is a bit frustrating when people assume it is always the woman.  Not that there is anyone to "blame" when you are in a partnership, but I dislike the assumptions people make.  Best of luck in your next attempt!