3rd Trimester

Pressure downstairs!!!!

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me? I have had a lot of pressure down in the private region for about a week now but this morning I have woken up hrdly unable to walk it's that bad. Actually feels like baby is falling out. What is this???? As I am only 34 weeks.

Re: Pressure downstairs!!!!

• It sounds like your baby has probably dropped and their head might have started to engage and is pressing on nerve endings you don't normally notice. I had a lot of pressure around 34-36 weeks and baby was 3/5 engaged then. I'm also carrying him low which adds to the fun! He's still 3/5 engaged now (I'm 38+6) and I've gotten used to the pressure. You might experience 'lightning crotch' which is sudden shooting pain in your cervix when baby bumps their head against it. I always find the pressure is so much more intense in the mornings but by lunch time I feel okay again. I guess it's because you lie down at night and the ligaments get some relief, then as soon you get up they have to work hard again. If you're concerned definitely talk to your midwife, she'll most likely tell you it's normal, but you could possibly ask to be referred to a physio if you have SPD - that often causes pain that makes it incredibly difficult to walk, but I don't *think* it's a pressure-type pain. Good luck and I hope you get some relief.
  • I second everything PP said. I think I started feeling the same discomfort and pressure at around 34-35 weeks. It's not fun. I found that an exercise ball is extremely helpful in relieving the discomfort. It really helps to take the pressure off the pelvis. I sit on mine all the time now. That, and a hot bath in the evenings. Definitely mention it to your OB, but, I'm pretty sure it's just another fun part of pregnancy! I'm not trying to be negative, but, it will probably get worse before baby comes. Try talking to your OB about different comfort measures now, so that you can try to make these last weeks more bearable.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I started feeling it this week and I'm only 32 weeks! It's a weird feeling... Haha
  • Thank you so much. I was telling my partner to stay in today as I was scared I was going into labour hahaha
  • Ditto what PPs said. Mine got really bad around 32 weeks but now it more comes and goes. I think it's more uncomfortable initially when baby drops, then either you get used to it or thinks settle... I'm not sure. Be ready for some sharp pains too! Now she will hit her head on my cervix and that's a bit shocking.

• Yes, I get it a lot and have been since early 2nd tri. I noticed it still comes and goes now at 35wks, so some days are better than others. Xmas eve was by far the worst day, I was in so much pain I couldn't even walk to the bathroom without feeling like my back/hips were going to split open, I thought for sure I was going into PTL, then the next day she moved up a bit and I felt better again. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been finding that I struggle to walk after resting for a while. My partner thinks I'm been slightly dramatic haha but I'm really not it does feel like he's falling out of me x
  • A belly-band may help? :) Mumberry.com has built-in belly-support bands that life the preggo belly pressure off of your back and pelvis. They were just on Good Morning Utah and the host was just raving about all of their clothes!
  • I'll have a look now. Thank you very much I really appreciate It :) xx
  • Ditto to all the above! I'm 37+5 and can barely walk; it's much worse after I've been sitting still for a while or after I've been asleep. And those lovely cervix bumps sure do keep me on my toes. Not literally of course, because that is physically impossible. Akin to putting on socks at this point. 
  • NHKx2 said:

Not literally of course, because that is physically impossible. Akin to putting on socks at this point. 

Right?! And the only maternity jeans I could find are skinny jeans, whoever thought THAT was a good idea?! I always have to have a good cry when I try to pull those **** pants over my calves and they get stuck.

• Thank you for posting this. I began experiencing this a couple of days ago when I hit week 31. I've been wearing a belly support band which has helped a little. Also noticed that I'm swollen downstairs! I'm so sad. Lol. Anyway tonight I'm trying to ice it and I have a pillow between my legs. Hopefully this will all help. Good luck! I hope we all fell better soon.
  • tilt your hips up...it's usually done to get your baby to turn but it will also take off some (not all by any means) but some pressure will subside!! Everyone carries babies different so yours could just be very low already!! I am about to hit 31 weeks and DS is already very low! My DD didn't get low until she dropped about 36 weeks!

I did go by some of those salonpas (probably spelt wrong) heating/cooling patches and stuck one on both hips and one on my lower back....WORKS WONDERS while tilting! Good luck on getting some sort of comfortable!!

• Try the cat cow pose. It provides me temporary relief. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LodlEH6TluM

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • If by pressure you mean your vaginal area feels heavy, it could be varicose veins. I have them internally and externally, and it feels like a pressure too, but a different kind of pressure. Like my private area weighs 20 lbs extra haha. 

Anniversary

• The last few days before giving birth, I felt like I had a bowling ball in my butt. That's pressure.