July 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital you Hate or one you love?

ambuchickambuchick member
edited December 2015 in July 2016 Moms
My last delivery was 53min of Active labor. I'm trying to decide if I should take a chance making it to the hospital I love but that is 30+ mins away or the hospital I hate but has the security of being 15 minutes away. Which would you choose?

Hospital you Hate or one you love? 73 votes

Hospital you hate - Closer distance is more important
12% 9 votes
Hospital you love - Sanity is worth more even if you deliver on the way
87% 64 votes

Re: Hospital you Hate or one you love?

• Options
    What are the reasons you hate the closer hospital?
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Yea I need to know the reasons you hate/love the hospitals before I can decide if it's worth the risk. I want to say closer hospital but it depends how bad it is
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree - need to know why before I can make a decision. 
    Me: 33  DH: 31
    Married: 8/9/2010
    3 Furbabies - Kumo, Mal, and Lynx!
    Started TTC August 2014
    BFP #1 - 12/16/14 EDD 8/22/15 - MMC and D&C 1/23/15
    BFP #2 - 7/10/15 EDD 3/20/16- chemical pregnancy, ended 7/16/15
    BFP #3 - 11/12/15 EDD 7/21/16 - wishing and hoping for a sticky little bean!

July'16 BMB May Siggy Challenge - Star Wars:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I live 2 blocks from our towns hospital and 40 min from a larger hospital.  I had my DD at the larger one and will do the same this time around.  They have a NICU and more capabilities if there were complications.
  • Options
    Yes, why do you hate the closer hospital? Which one has better care if baby or mama has an issue?

I'm sorry that you have to make this decision.
  • Options
    BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited January 2016
    ^^ good point! Are you a low risk pregnancy? Unfortunately, I'm not so I wanted to make sure that I picked the hospital that I go to most often and they have my records and all of my doctors on staff. They also have a level III NICU & are in the same area as Children's Hospital.

*typo
  • Options
    While I do not hate the hospital in town, I delivered at the farther away hospital with DD and know the ONe who deliver, so we are choosing to deliver 25 minutes away.
  • Options

^^ good point! Are you a low risk pregnancy? Unfortunately, I'm not so I wanted to make sure that I picked the hospital that I go to most often and they have my records and all of my doctors on staff. They also have a level III NICU & are in the same area as Children's Hospital.

*typo

I am high risk. My system uses on big EMR (electronic medical record), so I can go to any Dr's office, Urgent Care and hospital and every one can see my records. We just bought out a smaller system in the area. So once that 'merger' is complete, we will he 20k employees and 11 hospitals strong (plus tons of Dr's offices). So I have to use one of my work's Dr's, and hospitals. Which is fine with me.
  • Options

*typo

I am high risk. My system uses on big EMR (electronic medical record), so I can go to any Dr's office, Urgent Care and hospital and every one can see my records. We just bought out a smaller system in the area. So once that 'merger' is complete, we will he 20k employees and 11 hospitals strong (plus tons of Dr's offices). So I have to use one of my work's Dr's, and hospitals. Which is fine with me.
    Sounds like you're in great hands!!!
  • Options
    Where is the OP?
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I would be like everyone else, and would like to know why you don't like the other hospital...before I cast my vote. 

I have two hospitals within 10min of my house. Within 20min of my house, there are 5-6 more hospitals (but they are not in my insurance network), and then the one I am going to go to, is 40-50min from my house. That being said, I am choosing that hospital because of its ratings, and what people are saying about this hospital when they rate it. My pregnancies aren't high risk, and this will be a RCS, with my last labor being 28 hours long before I had the c-section. In my eyes, I have plenty of time to get to the hospital whether I make to to my RCS date, or not. They also do family-centered c-sections, which is what I want, unlike the hospitals by me that only do standard c-sections. 

Being that your labor with your first pregnancy was so short, I would probably shoot for the hospital further away, but have it in the back of my mind that if things progress quickly, I might have to go to the nearest hospital instead of the one that I wanted. Most of my friends/family, had shorter labors with each subsequent child, so there is a chance your labor could be even shorter with this baby. 

Where is the OP?

My thoughts exactly. Post and run?
  • Options

Where is the OP?

It's just weird to post a poll give zero info and never return...

• Options
    Where is the OP?
    It's just weird to post a poll give zero info and never return...
    I agree. It makes me wonder if there isn't really a reason and she is just looking for validation to make the choice for the hospital she loves. Obviously that's complete speculation and I could be totally wrong but why post a poll and then never come back to comment on the discussion? 
    Me: 33  DH: 31
    Married: 8/9/2010
    3 Furbabies - Kumo, Mal, and Lynx!
    Started TTC August 2014
    BFP #1 - 12/16/14 EDD 8/22/15 - MMC and D&C 1/23/15
    BFP #2 - 7/10/15 EDD 3/20/16- chemical pregnancy, ended 7/16/15
    BFP #3 - 11/12/15 EDD 7/21/16 - wishing and hoping for a sticky little bean!

July'16 BMB May Siggy Challenge - Star Wars:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I so wish we could delete this one. I hate that it keeps popping up and I keep checking to see if it's OP and it never is. Frickin ding dong ditch.
  • Options
    Actually sorry guys I didn't ditch my phone went on the fritz and while I was on holiday vacation I did not have any other means of getting on til I got home. To answer your questions yes I am high risk, and the hospital closer has no nicu as well as my husband and I have received less than adequate care in our opinion and the way we are treated is even worse it's like they don't care. My husband is extremely upset every time we leave after an appointment and I hate feeling like I am just a number. 
  • Options
    Agree. ^^
  • Options
    Farther !

• Options
    My hospital is an hour and fifteen minutes from my house. My dr told me to come in at the first sign of anything once I was past a certain point in pregnancy. It's doable. I would definitely go with the NICU hospital!
  • Options
    Thanks guys my husband and I agree. I think he is just more nervous because the midwife told him last time to prepare to possibly have to deliver by himself next time (this time). But I agree I will not be comfortable there and I could see that causing problems! Thanks for helping me think it through!
  • Options
    ambuchick said:

Thanks guys my husband and I agree. I think he is just more nervous because the midwife told him last time to prepare to possibly have to deliver by himself next time (this time). But I agree I will not be comfortable there and I could see that causing problems! Thanks for helping me think it through!

Definitely definitely go to the one that's further away! And I wouldn't worry too much about having to deliver on your own provided that you have emergency services in your town? You could always call 911. They could come and try to get you to the hospital in the ambulance. Or at least come and help get you delivered. But, I agreed to go in at the first signs. If you feel that you're going into labor but just not progressing, you could think about staying in an inexpensive hotel near the further hospital? Would that work for you guys for the night? Maybe two?
  • Options

For me yes if I have someone near that can watch my older two for more than the actual labor. My husband being military means we do not live near family sadly. but I still have some time to plan. :}

• Options
    ambuchick said:

For me yes if I have someone near that can watch my older two for more than the actual labor. My husband being military means we do not live near family sadly. but I still have some time to plan. :}

If you are in a military town, hook up with the other spouses. Many of them have a group thing set up for things like this. Military families get each other, tend to be very supportive of each other and protective.