Success after IF

What's IVF like? Anyone have success? Scared...

So, if this 3rd cycle of IUI and injectables doesn't work (7th IUI total), I'm thinking it'll be my last. That means IVF...And that terrifies me. We've almost saved up enough money for two, but having to choose a clinic is so hard. We could stay with my smaller one that I've been at for a year, but is really expensive. Or we could try this other clinic CNY, which does IVF for like $2,000 cheaper, AND they offer grants which could lower the price even more! I'm just scared about the whole situation. Will it work? Will we be able to pay for all of it? Are we making the right choice by staying at our clinic? Should we try somewhere new? I feel so damn lost. I just want this to work, and for me to have a baby...Why is all of this so hard?
*BFP and Loss Warning*

Married 10/01/11 to my partner in crime
TTC #1 since 01/15 
Me: PCOS 
3 cycles of Clomid + TI - BFN
IUI #1 Femara + Ovidrel - BFP!!!
MC 07/15
IUI #2-4 Femara + Ovidrel +Crinone - BFFN >:(
IUI #5-6 Follistim + Ovidrel + Crinone - BFFN!
  IUI #7 Follistim + Ganirelix + Ovidrel + Prometrium + Baby Aspirin - BFP! PLEASE STICK!!!
1/25 Beta #1: 389, #2: 940! IT'S TWINS! 
TEAM DOUBLE PINK!!!! <3

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What's IVF like? Anyone have success? Scared...

• I don't have experience with IVF but many women currently active on the pregnant after IF board do. Maybe try posting there too to get some additional responses. From my time on the bump, I've seen many success stories with IVF.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Welcome to IVF @RipleyLV426 it's a crazy journey but I must say it's worth it. After failed timed intercourse and Clomid cycles, my RE suggested we skip IUI all together and go straight to IVF. We were nervous and scared about it but trusted our doctor and decided to move forward. There are lots of meds and lots of needles... but in all honesty, I didn't find that part to be so bad. In late October I had my egg retrieval (can't lie, that was a painful recovery) and early November I had a day 5 fresh embryo transfer... now I'm 11 weeks :smile:

Not sure how much you know about the process (I was clueless) so watching these videos helped me tremendously. I think I watched them at least 10 times each. They are IVF class videos given by nurses at Brigham and Womens Hospital.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y1JeHHFnTg0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcii4LDH3uY

I know the costs of IVF can be more terrifying than the actual process, but there are lots of payment plan option out there too, especially for the medication. We were really lucky to have our insurance cover the majority of the costs.

Feel free to message me any time if you go through the process, especially during the stimulation meds and retrieval. It's all a crazy science experiment that eventually leads to a little itty bitty baby :blush: I wish you so much luck during your journey!
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure why that first link is broken, can't edit it either... Hopefully this works:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1JeHHFnTg0&amp;feature=youtu.be
  • We have MFI and went straight to IVF. I'd pick a clinic that you trust with good stats for your Dx even if they are more expensive. I know the money seems like a big deal but I think you have to give it the best shot you can afford. It's a mentally and physically tough process. We went with an out of state clinic that was way more costly than staying local but my son is a result of our first transfer and worth every extra penny. :) Follow your instincts. GL
    ~ Everyone Welcome ~
    TTC: 05/2011 Me: 32, All Clear DH: 38 Dx: MFI Low Testosterone & 1% Morphology
    IVF #1 w/ICSI & IMSI, 12/03/12: ER: 27R, 20M, 15F
    4 blasts frozen (3BA 4BA 4BB 5BB) b/c of moderate OHSS
    FET #1: 02/08/13 Transferred 3BA & 4BA | HPT 5dp5dt BFP!

10dp5dt Beta #1 - 810 | 12dp5dt Beta #2 - 1843 BabyFetus Ticker
  • @mechelita44 thank you so much for taking the time to post those videos! That's so thoughtful of you :smiley: And thanks for the encouragement @Gr8te. I'm so scared to even talk to my doctor about starting the whole process, but I know we can't keep doing IUIs. It's too much, both mentally and physically. There aren't many women who've gone through as many as I've done (at least that's how it feels) and gotten pregnant. I will definitely take you up on the private messaging @mechelita44, cause I know nobody who's gone through IVF! I feel like a freak lol. None of my friends have gone through any kind of treatments...SUCKS! 
    *BFP and Loss Warning*

Married 10/01/11 to my partner in crime
    TTC #1 since 01/15 
    Me: PCOS 
    3 cycles of Clomid + TI - BFN
    IUI #1 Femara + Ovidrel - BFP!!!
    MC 07/15
    IUI #2-4 Femara + Ovidrel +Crinone - BFFN >:(
    IUI #5-6 Follistim + Ovidrel + Crinone - BFFN!
      IUI #7 Follistim + Ganirelix + Ovidrel + Prometrium + Baby Aspirin - BFP! PLEASE STICK!!!
    1/25 Beta #1: 389, #2: 940! IT'S TWINS! 
    TEAM DOUBLE PINK!!!! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RipleyLV426 message me any time! I am MORE than happy to help! :smile: