July 2016 Moms
Options

Rh negative?

I've been to the doctor twice- once at 8 weeks and once at 12 weeks. My next appointment is at 16 weeks. They did blood work at my 12 week appointment and called me a few days later to tell me my prenatal panel was normal but I am rh negative which basically means that my blood and the babies blood are not compatible. If they mix- it could be dangerous for both me and baby. They said I will have to have a rhogam shot at 28 weeks and after delivery. They also said if I have and trauma like a car accident or any vaginal bleeding that I will need a shot. I told them I had light spotting one day around 9 weeks and she said I would be fine but if I bleed anymore that I need to be seen and given a shot. I've heard of other pregnant women who are rh negative that received a rhogam shot as soon as their doctor found out they were rh negative.

Is anyone else here rh negative and when do you receive your first rhogam shot or have you already?
Anyone else been through this?

Re: Rh negative?

• Options
    I am Rh negative but have not heard anything about getting the shot. I have my next appt in a week and I will ask them then. I assume I haven't heard because a)baby is also rh negative or b) they are waiting until my Jan appt.
  • Options
    I am Rh negative. With my first I had bleeding early on, so got a shot around 6 weeks. Then I got another shot at 28 weeks and a third after I had my daughter. I just had spotting over the weekend and was given a shot of Rhogam just to be safe. If I would not have had spotting, I would only get the one at 28 weeks and after birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am and had one I think 22 weeks and another one after I had the baby. They give you certificates in case your in an accident or something so that way emt/dr will know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am rh neg and I actually sent DH to get a blood test today to see if he is neg too (then no shots necessary from my understanding). If he's positive then I was told around 29 weeks and right around birth.
  • Options
    I am. With my first I think I got my shot at 28 or 29 weeks. They waited until after DD was born to check her blood. I ended up with another shot a few hours after birth. It was really no big deal. They give you a card you can carry with you in case you are ever in an accident or anything.
  • Options
    I am as well. They said I'd get a shot for sure at 28 weeks and then they'd test the baby's blood at birth to see if I would need another one. They told me that I'd need one sooner if had any bleeding or anything before then. Doesn't sound like too big a deal.
  • Options
    I am rh negative, DH positive. I am supposed to get my shot at 28 weeks, as far as I know
  • Options
    I'm rh negative as well and with DD I got my first at 28 weeks. Right in line with you.
  • Options
    I'm rh negative. I got q shot this pregnancy because I was bleeding more that just spotting and then I'll get one around 28 weeks and another after I give birth. Don't let it worry you too much it's only a problem when the blood is mixed.
  • Options
    I am rh neg and I actually sent DH to get a blood test today to see if he is neg too (then no shots necessary from my understanding). If he's positive then I was told around 29 weeks and right around birth.
    Just so you're prepared---at many hospitals they will still give you the Rhogam shots, even if your husband is Rh negative, too.  It's just too risky for future pregnancies (and SO easy to prevent those problems) to absolutely be sure that everyone's husband is really their baby-daddy.  I am in NO WAY passing judgement/doubting here---just letting you know that in most cases, it's a "better safe than sorry" procedure.  Don't want you to freak out if they insist on the shot regardless of husband's results!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm RH negative and my DH is positive. It's really no big deal. My last (and first) pregnancy I miscarried at 8 weeks and they gave me the shot then. No biggie. But this pregnancy I haven't needed one since I haven't bled at all, so as long as that holds true I will have one at 28 weeks and again at birth. I've known about this for the majority of my adult life and it scared me too but having gone through the shot with my m/c, it's truly nothing to worry about. Got to love modern medicine :)
  • Options
    I'm rh neg and my husband is pos, so I will be getting the shot, then after birth they test the babys blood to see if they are also rh neg, if so I will not need the second shot. This is what my doctor tells me. It's fairly common and not something in worried about!
  • Options
    I'm rh neg and my husband is positive. I had the shot during both of my pregnancies at 28 weeks, and again after their births. I was told that it's so your immune system doesn't fight against your baby if you should get pregnant again later. If the baby has a different blood type than you and the blood mixes, your body will think the baby is a foreign invader/object. It is possible for your blood to mix in the case of a miscarriage or birth. If the blood mixes during birth, there is no harm to your new baby, but it could cause problems if you should get pregnant again.

The shot is a pain in the butt, but it's nothing to worry about  :)  I never experienced side effects or anything... just a little sore in the injection spot for about 10 min or less.
  • Options
    I'm Rh neg and my dr said he'd give me a shot at 28 weeks. He told me to ask my DH to get a blood test to find out if we can skip the shots, but DH hates needles and said "why should I get stuck with a needle so you don't have to?" Thanks, love.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    I'm Rh neg and H doesn't know. Even if he was neg too I was told I'd still get the shots. 

My sister is neg as well and got them; it's really no big deal. Just give your OB a call if you bleed and they'll have you come in. No need for alarm.