Infertility
Options

PCOS + Stroke

I'm here on behalf of a friend of mine, searching for answers or direction. 

My friend is 31, and she had a mini stroke about a year ago. It was her second time trying Clomid + Metformin to treat her PCOS and become pregnant. Since her neurologist could find no cause of the stroke other than the fact she was on Clomid, the nuro has said she cannot take hormone therapy  because of the increased risk of stroke. 

I know simply having PCOS increases the risk of stroke. She was on a high dose birth control for 10 years prior to this with no issue. She doesn't have regular periods, doesn't ovulate on her own, and still takes the Metformin.

Does anyone have any advise? Any experience with becoming pregnant after a stroke with PCOS?

Re: PCOS + Stroke

• Options
    I am very sorry for your friend, I do not know anything about clomid and stroke. But I know that there was a preparation for a lawsuit against Yaz/Yasmin and they were looking for women who had stroke after using these BCPs. I have PCOS and I used both Yaz and Yasmin for a long time because most of the PCOS patients do. I did not have a big side effect like this, but I know they could cause embolism and stroke. Don`t the doctors think this could be a cause ? I hope she finds a way to help her ovulate and get her BFP. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear your friend had a stroke. My BFF had a stroke when she was very young, and she went on to have 2 or 3 more kids. I'm happy to put them two into contact, if she needs someone to chat with. :) 

Me (33) | DH (33)
    Married in Oct 2005

TTC #1 Sept 2007.  Dx PCOS w/ IR, no ovulation, 6 cycles of Clomid failed. First cycle of Femara gave us our first miracle in May 2011
    TTC #2. 10+ cycles of Femara w/ TI, Femara w/ IUI, Starting IVF #1 in January 2015
    My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a pulmonary embolism after hormonal treatment for fibroids. I followed up with a hematologist and learned I have a genetic clotting disorder. I'm currently on Lovenix during my infertility treatment and will be for the entire duration on any pregnancies. Your friend should follow up with a hematologist ASAP. Undiagnosed clotting disorders can cause miscarriages if not treated.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, I am so sorry about your friend. I had a DVT in my very early 20s when I was on birth control pills. Was tested extensively and no underlying clotting factors were discovered, so I was told no more estrogen. This is obviously a problem for me going into IVF, but my doctor is going to treat me with Lovenox to prevent a clot if I do get a BFP. I would definitely suggest your friend consult with a hematologist as well.

<3 *Loss & bfp mentioned*

me 28 (Lean PCOS, hypothyroid) dh 33
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    August 2012-current- 9 rounds of Clomid, 1 cycle of Femara, several cycles of soy isos, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFN
    August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
    Moving onto IVF Feb/March 2016 Just kidding. Natural bfp 1/30/16.
    1st beta 2/1 = 110. 2nd beta 2/3 = 332.

First ultrasound 2/19 - one baby with a heart rate of 127! EDD 10/11/2016

BabyFruit Ticker