Infertility

January/February IVF

Hi ladies! I figured I would start up a new board for those who are moving onto another round of IVF or for anyone new that's starting IVF. The best thing to have is support! :) These boards helped me SO MUCH my first time around, and continue to help now!

My story:
3 IUIs (all failed)
IVF # 1 was supposed to start in September (canceled due to cysts)
IVF #1 actually started in October through Novmeber. We had 11 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 1 transferred (5 day transfer) and 2 frozen on day 6. BETA test was a negative after TWW.
Moved onto a FET (frozen transfer) in Decmeber, 2 transferred. Negative again.

So here I am, IVF #2--- at least I know what to expect this time. I'm not so anxious, just ready to get down to business lol
Me 30 || DH 36
Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
-IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
-FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
-IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
-FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
**Changed doctor**
-IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
-IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
-Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
-IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
-Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
-IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

Re: January/February IVF

• I'm starting IVF for the first time. I've had no other treatments for infertility, during testing our RE felt that IVF was the best option for us so we decided to go with his recommendation. I just started BCP, I'm on the pill for about 3 weeks, and I'll be doing lupron at some point. I start stims somewhere around 1/20. I have no idea what to expect, I've lurked on all the other monthly IVF threads since I've known this is where we've been heading and I've learned a lot and I love seeing all the support.
  • Hi there ! I'm starting my ivf meds tomorrow . I'm going to have my ER around January 8 and am planning a frozen transfer in early March . I'm so nervous about being cranky and feeling crummy from all the meds ! I've done four medicated TI/IUI cycles but the med dosages were obviously baby doses compared to what I'm about to start !

Where are you in your cycle @Colleen0516 ? Sorry you have to go through it all again but hopefully this time is it !! Keeping my fingers crossed for you and here to cheer you on !! We've got this !!

@Minnie1155 my first ivf too !! I'll let you know how the meds go . Hopefully I don't turn into w raging hormonal mess !!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Ladies.  This is my 1st IVF as well.  I've had 2 failed IUI cycles, 1 monitored TI failed cycle and had lap surgery that showed right tube is now clogged and have minor amount of Endo.  IVF is the best option for me and I am praying this round will work. 

Had appt last week for b/w and u/s and all looked good.
    Starting injections on Thursday and planning a fresh transfer around 1/14,1/15 or 1/16. 

I am going day to day because I have no clue what to expect either.  Not sure why I am doing a fresh transfer instead of a frozen like a lot of ladies, but guess that is the plan for now.

@mskeenan Hi! I think we have been on the same cycle a couple of times.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Hey @babyexpress !! We have been cycle buddies a few times !! Good to see you again ! I'm actually kind of excited for ivf . Nervous but also really excited !! Praying for us all !!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Hi ladies! Been lurking for a year or so.. due to start stims on 1/11 and so anxious and excited. .. anyone else feel like absolutely everything rides on the build up to starting? Today my Nespresso purchase was solely thinking of decaf and downgrading to a lower coffee strain... lol. It is our first cycle. Iam here for all you gals starting yours or following on... here's to positive results! <3
  • I am worried about how all the mess will impact me, I tend to be very sensitive to medications and had to change bcp's a few times back when I first started using them. So strange to be using them again now for a totally different purpose. It's exciting to me to hear from others going through the process and where you all are. My nurse is sending me my calendar so hopefully I get that soon and it will have more info. All I know right now is I end BCP mid January and start stims around 1/20. I can't wait to know when possible retrieval could be. Makes it all feel very real. I'm hopeful for 2016 and that it can be a good year for us all!
  • @babyexpress and @Mksheehan I have been on the IUI boards with you girls as well!
    This will be our first IVF after 3 failed injectable IUI cycles. As soon as new insurance kicks in January 1st my RE will put in the info to get my cycle approved, they said it can take up to 15 days (hopefully not though!), and we will start as soon as we can! They will extend the active pills of my BCP as need be until I can start my cycle so I don't have to wait a whole additional month to start (AF due to arrive around January 5th). Super excited and just ready to start and get results!!! Hopefully I will be able to do a fresh transfer. Will be doing only menopur as my stim med (starting with 3 vials....whereas I only used 1 to 2 for my IUIs, so a little nervous for the extra meds since I always felt crummy with my IUIs!)
    While I was upset I had to take a break from November to now waiting for new insurance that covers IVF, it was a blessing in disguise. My life had become so consumed with all this stuff since June, and I just felt miserable constantly. I got to enjoy the holidays, have drinks without worrying, and feel semi normal again! Lol I just hope now this is the last go we will have with all this junk!!! So excited to start and share this journey with all you girls!!!
  • Thank you for starting the group! I tried IUI for a year and a half with I luck. I went on BC in October was supposed to start meds for IFV in November delayed because of cysts. As soon as I start my period (should be first week of January) I'm doing a no pills start. Should have ER 7-10 days later. Trying to stay positive. Good thoughts to you and all the ladies of the group!
  • Hi y'all!

I'm gearing up for my first IVF, starting stims on 12/31, tentative retrieval 1/11-1/13, and fresh transfer. 

I've got diminished reserve, age 38, and I've had 7 failed medicated IUIs. My RE thinks I might have an adhesion on my right ovary, pulling it behind my uterus and off course, so IVF will solve that problem, at least.

If this doesn't work, we'll give up on my ovaries, and try reciprocal IVF with my wife's eggs. She's a little younger with better FSH and AMH levels. 

So this IVF is my last shot to get pregnant with my own eggs. And with DOR, prospects are okay but not awesome. 

So one thing at a time, right? Just stopped BCPs, and I'm relieved to have that done. Anxious about how the stims will treat me-- the tiny doses I've had so far are probably very different from what I'm about to do.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• @mskeenan I'm excited about doing IVF as well.  Our chances should be higher, so that keeps me feeling positive.

@laur2444 yes, I remember you as well.  I have been through all this mess since June as well and it has been such an emotional roller coaster, effecting so many things in my life.  (weight gain, always bloated, always crying and hormonal, depressed from all the BFNs and hard on my marriage with all the added pressure) What a mess it has been.  I took a slight break as well and it was nice to not worry about the 2WW.

@Colleen0516 and @KLake42 i'm pretty sure i have been on cycles with you two as well.  @KLake42 when you say starting stims on 12/31, is that referring to the injections?  This process is new to me.  I start menopur and Follistim on 12/31 with transfer around same dates as you.

• @mskeenan we are almost on the same schedule...I started stims yesterday! Let me know how it goes
  • @babyexpress, that's right, I start injections 12/31, provided that nothing problematic shows up on ultrasound 12/30. I just stopped BCPs. I'll be using menopur and gonal-f. 

I also have had a rough time with the IUIs, and have gained about ten pounds since starting this journey. I know this IVF will be intense, too. I'm excited, but also intimidated.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• @Selena2016 I start in January too! On 1/11 only though, but it is so great to know someone will be cycling with me lol. Let's keep in touch! ! Loads of good and positive vibes to all you gals. Good luck with the meds @babyexpress.. I will be towing your line when I start mine in Jan. Still have to go buy them. Hoping the price doesn't increase much for 2016! Well hoping more my insurance covers it as I have to put in a special request. Can you believe it?!
    Good baby bean vibes to y'all! ;)
  • Hi Ladies..I def have been on some IUI boards with some of you.  I am gearing up to do ivf in January. We have done 3 failed IUI's and will be doing our first IVF but it will be a mini stim version.  
    @KLake42 I also have DOR.  I am really hoping it works and we make it to egg retreival.  My period is due the first week of January and we will be starting as soon as it shows up!
  • @babyexpress I feel you on everything you said! I feel like I have become a shell of a person....my moods are all over the place. Sometimes all I want to do is be alone and not see anyone, then other times I just want to try to be as normal as possible again. My husband and I argue at least once a day about nothing half the time, we are both just on edge constantly. I know all this added stress is bad but I can't help it I am just so wound up all the time! Fx to all of us on our next step in this process!!!
  • @lau2444 I am not sure about going through all the mood swings. .. oi vey! I teach little ones so help me when I'm on meds!!! @babyexpress it is clearly going to be a roller coaster ride for us. Let's all hold on tight and pray for those positive outcomes! i have wwatched some videos on ladies having gone through ivf and all the little things to remember. .like warm feet, warm food to keep the embryo happy? Have you gals been stalking you tube too?
  • @laur2444, my wife and I went through a phase of arguing a lot, because of my moodiness. But it got better. I think I learned to tell her "I feel really crappy and it's not your fault", and she learned that it really was  the hormones, and the best way to support me is to forgive me for being a jerk sometimes.

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Glad to know I'm not the only one! It's just such a hard situation .....I tend to forget everything effects him too. His numbers are great it's me who isn't ovulating, so even though we are in it together I feel like it's all my fault. (Even though I know I can't think like that). It's just crazy to think that this could all be from me exercising too much, even though my weight is perfectly normal for my height (125-130 and 5 ft 3)....you think you are doing the right thing for so many years striving to be healthy then discover all this junk. At least we are 29 so I have that on my side!
  • Hi ladies!
    I'd like to join you all on this crazy, exciting emotional IVF roller coaster :) a little about about me...I'm 38 hubby is 40 and we have a beautiful 10 year old daughter. Sometime after her birth both my tubes became blocked. I've had failed 3 HSG's, switched RE's and had a surgical HSG last year that opened my right tube. Started with IUI right away 1st attempt failed and 2nd ended in EP in Sept. RE said because of EP IVF is our only option.
    I completed egg retrieval 12/8 with 16 follicles removed, 10 fertilized and 5 making it to day 5 blast and freezing now transfer scheduled for 2/1. I can't wait for that day to get here!
    Good luck to all of you!
  • @kadair123 congratulations and good luck to you!
  • @laur2444 I am so with you with emotions being all over the place. One minute I'm excited we are getting things started then I'm crying because it's all overwhelming. I just keep reminding myself I, and all of us, can and will get through this! I just got my medication ordered, I can't believe how much medication it is!
  • Oh geeze @Minnie1155 I can't wait until after the 1st when I can get approval and get started!!! What meds will you be taking? Yes we will get through this! It's a matter of when we get pregnant not if!!
  • @TWWAB tks! I just met with the RE nurse and reviewed my FET calendar. I'm still scheduled for Feb 1st. Soo much is happening up until that point. It's going to be a busy month!!
  • I start with lupron, when they were listing off all the medications I got super overwhelmed and couldn't keep track. I know there's some patches, I think menopur, gonal f, and PIO are the only things I'm remembering right now.

Good luck to everyone!

@kadair123 I feel like being busy can be a good thing, hopefully it is for you. Right now I'm not so busy and I'm having a hard time thinking about anything that's not related to IVF. Kind of making myself crazy!
  • My meds came in the mail today and it is overwhelming when you own that big box and unpack all of it. Our RE gave us a few boxes of Gonal and Menopur to start us off since the holidays screwed up the delivery of our meds.

I've been stimming for a few days and the only advice I have is grab some prunes and prune juice...thank me later ladies ;)
  • So I started this board, then closed on a new house- and it's been renovation central! I've been so distracted (which is happily welcome!). I'm currently on OCPs, 1 pill a day. I don't have my calendar yet, but I'm assuming my stimming will start mid January.

I've done it once before, so I know what to expect, but I remember how nervous I was the first time. For those of you who aRe new to the process, the anticipation is far worse than the actual process (or at least that's how it was for me).
    I was/still am scared of needles (but my fear has lessened since IVF). I would panic every time I would need to take my shot. BUT every time I would say- it's really not that bad.
    I was on follistim and menopur last round. Follistim was a cake walk!! Menopur burned going in, but both weren't bad at all.

I dreaded PIO...but again- it wasn't bad at all! I iced and didn't even feel it! My last two shots were without ice (I put on my big girl panties lol).

The moodiness is normal- thankfully, I wasn't too bad. I was very tired, but I'm always tired.

while my round didn't work, it was still worth it- one step closer. Hopefully Round #2 will be a Success! :smile:

To all of you who are entering the cycle: best of luck!!! These boards help so much!
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• kadair123kadair123 member
    edited December 2015
    @Minnie1155 I definitely don't have a problem keeping busy. Between work, school taking care of my family AND working out I'm literally moving nonstop until I hit the pillow at night! Lol I definitely prefer it too cuz it makes the days go by faster.
    I've got all my drugs (yay!) so now I'm just patiently (impatiently) checking them off as I take each one and highlighting the calendar day once their all complete. I got a good routine down with my iui's and the first stage of IVF and it helps keep all the meds straight! Next week I'm scheduled for an SHG. Then I do my baseline ultrasound 1/12 and start stimming 1/13. Stim drugs consist of: Lupron, Neupogen, estrace pills, estrogen cream, progesterone IM injection and cream, prednisone, Lovenox and finally baby aspirin (whew!) like I said the calendar comes in handy!!
    Good luck to everyone starting their cycles!!

• @Carlaisy so excited we will be cycle buddies! I need all the comradery I can get. I'm expecting my period first week in January but I have started spotting so any day now. Fingers crossed!
    @babyexpress For me I'm not fighting with my partner I'm finding myself distancing myself from my friends. They all have small children and at get togethers it always comes to the baby conversation. How their pregnancy was, how their birth went, breastfeeding, etc. It's so difficult to sit through when I have not had that experience and want it so badly. Some of them completely take for granted how easily they concieved. It makes me feel incredibly jealous, depressed and alone. I'm very grateful for this community.
  • Hi ladies, I would like to join as well. We are starting our first IVF cycle too. I am waiting on AF (should start any day) and then will be on BCPs. My baseline is January 29 and then will start my stims then. @Colleen0516, sounds like I will be on a very similar protocol as you were on your first round. I'm not nervous for any of the stims, I am a RE nurse and have also done stims with IUIs in the past. I hope to see a bunch of BFPs very soon!!! Good luck to each of you :smile: 
  • @Colleen0516 congrats on the house, that is very exciting and can keep you very busy! I remember feeling like I was going crazy during the closing process.

@Selena2016 I have also found myself distancing myself from friends, more so because they keep asking me about when I'm having kids and I know they just wouldn't understand. It makes me feel like I'm a bad friend, but I remind myself I am taking care of me and that's important too. This infertility thing is so hard and I'm learning there's no right way to handle it.

Anyone doing anything exciting for New Years? I'm not much of a night owl sadly so planning on just staying in and watching some movies.
  • Welcome @smiley6000 and good luck! @Minnie1155 and @Selena2016 it's normal to feel the way you do about not wanting to be around your friends but like u said it's important to take care of yourself. If u don't feel like being around them right now that's ok! Take care of yourself and see them when your ready.
    This whole process has made me look at my relationships through a bigger, brighter lens and helped me realize some of my "friends" should have never earned that title or isn't really the type of friend I would discuss my infertility struggles with. Understanding this has made NOT sharing soo much easier!
  • @laur2444 I hear ya completely.  The baby subject is a touchy one for us now.  We have tried everything we can before moving to IVF and now I just feel worn out and this cycle is going to be more intense than ever. 

My hubby actually picked up my meds today, since I start tomorrow, and he called me freaking out about the amount of drugs.  He said he almost walked out of the pharmacy thinking there was no way that was right :).  Mistake on my part sending him.  I haven't seen it yet, but I can imagine his face when he had to walk out with 3 bags in hand. 

@KLake42 I think I am going to take your actions and say "i feel crappy and its not your fault".  I have to remember how it is effecting him too.

• @babyexpress the box will be huge!
  • kadair123kadair123 member
    edited December 2015
    I had the dreaded conversation with the insurance company today. You know the one where they tell you that you've reached your infertility coverage limit and any remaining charges are OOP! Btw, RE requires all OOP charges be paid upfront! I'm supposed to start stims for transfer next week!! Ugh!!
    After the smoke cleared from my eyes the insurance agent walked me through added a health savings option to my plan which thankfully covers a good portion of the remaining balance. And hopefully the remaining amount will be a little easier to digest.
    My hope for insurance company's is that they'll stop placing these silly unrealistic caps on IVF treatments and just cover it already!! That was my roller coaster ride of emotion for the day.
  • We get our calendar Monday and the appt to go over it is Wed!! Tentative ER is Feb 5th. They decided we will go ahead and do fresh transfer, so that will be around Feb 10. Wow, it is getting so real! I have been so stressed bc I had no idea when anything would be happening, so this is a HUGE weight off.

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey All! A little background: Me 32, DH 35. TTC since Dec 2013. 1 EP w/tube loss Aug 2014. Remaining tube is blocked. We've been saving our tails off all year and have finally made it to a point where IVF costs are manageable so here we go! :)

This will be our 2nd round of IVF as the first round in Nov was cancelled after 7 days of injections due to low estradiol levels. Hopefully this one goes much better. Starting BC tomorrow and have my baseline scheduled for the 25th. RE said they will be taking a much more aggressive approach this time. Nervous but very excited as well.

@Selena2016 and @Minnie1155 I 100% completely understand. It seems that every time I hang out with my friends it turns into a round of 100 questions and I get completely overwhelmed. It's not their fault at all and I completely understand but infertility is so uncommon in my circle that nobody knows anything about it. One part of me wants to educate and the other wants to not tell anyone and live in my own little bubble!  

Me (32) - DH (35)
    Married Feb 2013
    TTC since Dec 2013
    Aug 2014: ectopic w/tube loss. Remaining tube blocked.
    IVF #1: Cx after 7 days stims due to low estradiol
    IVF #2: Jan 2016
  • Welcome @lketchy good luck and I hope u get a BFP!
  • I've had some challenges with a couple friends who are critical of my decision to go with IVF.  They think that I should be patient, and focus on more "natural" paths to getting pregnant.  They're both lesbians who illegally inseminated at home with known donor sperm (if you're using a known donor, you're supposed to do everything at a clinic and pay a lot of fees, per the FDA), and it took about 8 tries for both of them. 

Neither of them have DOR (I do), and they're both a year or two younger than me.  And I'm a lawyer, and I'm not going to do things illegally, even if the laws are ridiculous.  And medicated, monitored, injectible IUIs are a little different than home inseminations, so after 7 failed IUIs, I think I'm making a rational choice to go for IVF.

Sorry for the venting, but it's hard when the people who I'd like to go to for support (other mamas my age) turn out to be not so supportive. 

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• @KLake42 I completely understand that you need to vent. All us gals wanna do is to do it properly so we can be blessed with our little angel/s. Hope you have great success with your ivf path my friend. I start mine on 1/11 and am so anxious/excited. Fx gals!
  • Just got my period. Dr appointment tomorrow for ultra sound and blood. If everything looks good I'm going to start stims tomorrow. I'm doing a no pill start with approximate ER 1/13. Hope everything goes well tomorrow. Last time I was delayed because of a cyst. Anyone else starting stims this week?