Dads & Dads-to-be

husband's reaction - baby girl

Hi guys

My husband and i found out we were having a girl recently and his reaction seemed somewhat shocked and disappointed. Now when i try discussing baby names and look for baby stuff his not into it.
Any tips please ? I don't want our daughter to feel unwanted.

Thank you x

Re: husband's reaction - baby girl

• I would suggest give him time to let it sink in that you two are going to have a girl. He probably naturally envisioned him having a son (not unusual). I don't think you have to worry about your daughter feeling unwanted. I am sure he will love her just as much as he would love his son (if you were having a boy).
    Me:27 | DH: 26
    Married: 7/26/14
    NTNP since: September '15
    TTC #1: October '15
  • My husband was the exact same way. He was 110% sure we were having a boy...nope! When the US tech told us girl, it took him a while to warm up to it. Now he's absolutely in love with her. Give him time. He will come thru, men don't have that special connection with the babies until they're physically here! I'm not saying all men are like this, just know they can't feel what we feel as mothers. He will probably be a great father. Congratulations:) 
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband was also sure that we were having a boy and really wanted a son. It took him maybe a week or so to let it sink in. Now she's here and he is just smitten by her :) I'm sure he will also come around 
  • I think men naturally feel a bit immaculated for some reason when they find out they are having a girl, and that's fairly normal, but it passes! 
  • My husband is the opposite, he's always wanted girls and not boys because he knows how much of a handful him and his brother were growing up. He was hoping for a little girl, but we ended up with a little boy. I worried he might not be quite as doting as he would have if we did have a girl, but he loves our son so much. As PPs said, just give him some time to get used to the idea, he'll love her so much once he does :) Also, for some dads, they don't get as excited until baby is actually born.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Not going to lie, my DH was a little disappointed when he found out we were having a girl, but he's gotten used to the idea and is already very smitten with her!  He's wanted to be a father for a very long time and he will read bedtime stories to my belly and sing and talk to her.  He loves it when he's talking to her and she reacts to the sound of his voice.  Sorry to hear your husband is still having a hard time with the news, but I'm sure he'll fall head over heels once he sees your daughter for the first time!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• @EmmaKapoor He will come around.  My wife and I had a going joke that if it was a boy i'd get to buy a project car for us to work on (later on).. if it was a girl i'd get a new gun (to be the overprotective father lol)    We were sure it would be a girl and ended up being a boy.  I am over the top either way and I know your Husband is too, we are guys, it just needs to sink in a little lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • RatpastaRatpasta member
    edited September 2017
    @EmmaKapoor its going to take him some time to get used to the fact, for sure especially if his heart was set on a boy.
    I already have a boy that's 4 and having a daughter two weeks ago has been an adjustment for me, and I've already been through baby-mode.
    My wife was talking about clothes and looking at dresses and stuff online and I just keep telling her that I'm going to have to defer to her in that dept...

it may take him months and months to come around even after she is born - but Im confident that he will come around