Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pushing up during tummy time - when?

My LO is almost 10 weeks and doesn't really enjoy tummy time. Any time I put him on his tummy, he will only stay there for a couple minutes before he fusses and he doesn't do much with me at all. He will lift his head a little, but mostly just turns it to the side and lays there. I've tried laying him on the floor with a blanket, his Boppy, our bed, laying him on me, etc. I've also tried putting him in front of the TV, as well as holding a mirror, toys he likes, etc. in front of him but he just moves his eyes to look but doesn't do much lifting of his head. He holds his head up a lot when I hold him up on my shoulder, so I've been doing a lot of that. Also, his head control is good enough at this point that if he's laying on his back and you pull him up by his arms he can control his head all the way into the sitting position. I just worry he will be delayed in crawling if he doesn't get a lot of practice on his tummy. Also, DH hates tummy time (probably because LO hates it), so whenever he is here he just rolls him back over. I feel like I started tummy time a little late as well because I didn't start it from day one, so I'm worried it will cause delays. I guess, as a result of this, I have a few questions...
1. Any tips or tricks to help make tummy time a little more enjoyable? Do you think I need to be concerned about him not doing much lifting/pushing at 10 weeks or is that kind of normal?
2. Any STMs or moms whose LOs are already doing so, when did your LOs start pushing up on their arms while on the floor?

We had LOs two month appt last week and his pediatrician seemed happy with his progress at the appt. I'm just concerned the hate of tummy time and refusal to do pretty much anything while on his tummy will set LO back.

Re: Pushing up during tummy time - when?

• Options
    He probably hates it because he hasn't learned to lift up yet. My little one was the same way. She is 9 weeks and has been pushing up for about a week with really steady control, but she had very good control of her head very early. Before she could lift up she hated tummy time and would cry the whole time. She would last a little longer on the boppy but even that she didn't love. I think you just have to put him on his tummy so that he can get stronger and eventually he will not hate it. Have you tried doing it for shorter periods of time more often throughout the day? Like for 3 minutes 5 times a day, etc? They say they should get at least 15 minutes a day but it doesn't have to be in one chunk!
  • Options
    No concern about pushing up. Just make sure he's getting at least 1/2 hour in 5 minute increments is fine. Every diaper change.

Ours loves the black & white book called "look! Look!" She'll look at the children's faces for at least 10 minutes!

Some babies don't like tummy time because of silent reflux. Ask dr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO didn't start the baby pushup until almost 4 months. At that point she started rolling and preferring her tummy to her back.

She hated tummy time too. Do the best you can. Sometimes she'd tolerate laying on top of us on her belly. But she really hated it. Even right after she learned to roll back to belly, for the first week or so she'd flip and then scream bc she was mad to be on her belly. But then she learned to push up and loved it.
  • Options
    Baby'smom said:
    No concern about pushing up. Just make sure he's getting at least 1/2 hour in 5 minute increments is fine. Every diaper change. Ours loves the black & white book called "look! Look!" She'll look at the children's faces for at least 10 minutes! Some babies don't like tummy time because of silent reflux. Ask dr.
    Not everything with babies is due to an underlying medical condition. I see this on every post from you.
  • Options
    OP the best advice I  can give you is to NOT worry about this. Just do tummy time as often as you can and don't worry about the rest. There's only so much you can do with babies/kids and the rest is up to them. Give your LO time. Before you know it your LO will be walking and you'll have something new to worry about ;)
  • Options
    tracij12tracij12 member
    edited December 2015

Baby'smom said:

No concern about pushing up. Just make sure he's getting at least 1/2 hour in 5 minute increments is fine. Every diaper change.

Ours loves the black & white book called "look! Look!" She'll look at the children's faces for at least 10 minutes!

Some babies don't like tummy time because of silent reflux.
    Ask dr.

Not everything with babies is due to an underlying medical condition. I see this on every post from you.

I don't want to completely derail this thread, but It seems like trying to find a medical condition to explain all newborn/baby behavior is the norm these days. I have been blown away by how many babies have been diagnosed with reflux and put on meds or who have had lip and/or tongue ties corrected on my BMB. Both issues that were non existent (or at least not discussed) when I had DD1 3 years ago. I know both of those things are legitimate, but the frequency is disturbing to me and I wonder why it is.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    My house is not safe for tummy time and am a little scared to try it what can I do for my 8weeks old
  • Options
    Mine hated tummy time until she could push herself up. I didn't know what to do so I started looking at videos online. I started placing her on her tummy already propped up on her forearms. That way she knows what the goal is. She'll let herself back down when she needs a break and that gives us longer before she freaks out. Also, roll him to his back until he calms down enough to go back to his tummy. It gives him a break that he probably needs. The last thing that I found works is burping her laying across my lap. She likes being patted on the back or butt and then she gets used to laying on her tummy. 
  • Options
    katoni said:
    My house is not safe for tummy time and am a little scared to try it what can I do for my 8weeks old
    Lay your baby on a blanket on the floor and supervise baby closely. Or lay him/her on your chest or lap. 

Note to others this is a zombie thread.