1st Trimester
Options

I haven't pooped in 4 days...

MommyOfBabyGMommyOfBabyG member
edited December 2015 in 1st Trimester
I know this is very awkward but I'm desperate. I haven't had a bowel movement in 4 days. I have tried drinking a bunch of water and fruit but nothing is working. I couldn't get a hold of my doctor today. Since it a the weekend they won't be back in the office until monday. I really need some advice to get things... moving again. I have such pains right now.

Re: I haven't pooped in 4 days...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Coffee, apple juice, Colace....
    Good luck

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Warm prune juice, metamucil capsule, lots Of water and try to have your feet on a small stool when sitting on the toilet
  • Options
    jolydan said:

Warm prune juice, metamucil capsule, lots Of water and try to have your feet on a small stool when sitting on the toilet

The Squatty Potty!!!!! Haha. YouTube it. It's hilarious, but it actually does exist....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dude!
    yogahh said:

Welcome to first tri. You either will have the runs or not poop for days.

Dude! That's so me!!! Wtf??? I alternate between not pooping or having the runs! It really sucks!
    But I do recommend the prune juice and some prunes to get things moving.... Plus water. Within about 24 hours things should be moving again. I think colace is something good to take every day to keep things moving.
  • Options
    2 cups of coffee did the trick for me! (Decaf will still work if you are going down the caffiene free route)
  • Options
    I second apple juice. A lot of it. Also, I take two collage every night.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    take collace drink prune juice and maybe look into switching to a prenatal that has less iron in it to help you go to the bathroom. Oh and try going for walks to help get things moving along!  Honestly though i struggled with this horribly the whole first 12 weeks of my pregnancy sometimes you just have to wait it out. :(
  • Options
    Warm liquids. I used warm apple juice.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    Miralax is also safe. I am so struggling with this!
  • Options
    Prune juice didn't work for me, BUT eat a hand full of them and you'll be singing a new tune :)
  • Options
    Colace and coffee.
  • Options
    Mirilax works wonders... Just drink plenty of water with it
  • Options
    You can also try adding some magnesium with your prenatal.
  • Options
    My doctor said milk of magnesia is safe. Just be warned...it works, really works. If you feel like you have to go, get yourself to the bathroom. It's hard to find a balance of not going and going too much
  • Options
    Skip the colace - your bowels can actually become dependent on that stuff; it's awful. Try Miralax instead, it's not habit forming and actually works to pull water from your body into your colon to soften things up. I'm also a HUGE fan of Trubiotics. If it wasn't for those, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to poop!
  • Options
    yogahh said:

Welcome to first tri. You either will have the runs or not poop for days.

This is all of pregnancy! Trust me, baby number 2 and I'm 39+4. Little bit of dairy helps me go, although it can bring some cramping. We can never win :'(
  • Options
    Prunes help me and they are gentle! Also, whole fruits (juice lacks the fiber) and vegetables! Going for a long walk helps too. I don't recommend any laxative products since you can become dependent.
  • Options
    I know this is very awkward but I'm desperate. I haven't had a bowel movement in 4 days. I have tried drinking a bunch of water and fruit but nothing is working. I couldn't get a hold of my doctor today. Since it a the weekend they won't be back in the office until monday. I really need some advice to get things... moving again. I have such pains right now.
    3-4 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil can be very helpful in "greasing" the intestines. Also, try some Colace (without the stimulant). When you do finally get ready to go make sure to lubricate you anus with Vaseline or coconut oil (prevents tears that can be painful and minimizes hemmroids). Also, if you can get a stool to put your feet up. This can make passing stool SO MUCH EASIER on you. Take your time and don't strain. Invest in some latex gloves if you need to help massage the area where the stool is getting ready to exit.

Coconut oil saved my butt (literally) last time in situations like this. Use it liberally. It feels funny when you start but human warmth or rubbing hands together melts it like butter. It will truly save you pain.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Also, strangely a McDonald's quarter-pounder with cheese was the only thing that produced relief for me during my last pregnancy. I craved them, but they also helped me poop. I limited my consumption though, about once a week.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I get acupuncture 2x a week. One thing I go for is to regulate my bowels. It WORKS. I didn't get acupuncture last time I was pregnant, though. So I'm hoping it will work into this pregnancy. I am nearly 4 weeks and I have not experienced constipation yet.

What I did last time I was pregnant was take Benefiber every day and it worked.
  • Options
    thomasmaynardthomasmaynard member
    edited January 2016
    Milk of Magnesia works for me... Since I can't stomach coffee these days I had to try something and that's what my doctor recommended. And putting your feet up 8" or so while on the toilet has helped.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Same here. Since I found I was pregnant I was on a high fiber, fruit and lots of water diet. I have not eaten anything bad so diet and hydration won't always help. I use a raised stand at the base of the toilet so that I'm squatting which helps a bit. I've used stool softener but was no help and I also rub my belly clockwise to push things down. After hours of trying I used Dulcolax which got rid of 1.5 lbs of....stuff. But I feel like I'm not even half empty. My next step will be daily exercise, milk of magnesia and prunes beginning today! I'd love to hear more tips. Good luck ladies!
  • Options
    I had this problem to the point were it was hurting. I ended up just eating a ton of prunes and by the end of the day things were happening! I still get constipated often so i just eat some prunes on the daily to hopwfully regulate my bowl movements.
  • Options
    Im having the same problem and I didn't want to take meds so I bought dried apricots and prunes and they worked like a charm for me. They tatse horrible but so worth getting rid of the extra pressure!
  • Options
    Try Fiber One snack products . They come in a bunch of flavors, I personally love the lemon bar and my kids love all of the flavors. Fiber One also makes pretty good cookies. They are perfect for helping things move along and for a sweet tooth. I used to eat them daily.
  • Options
    I've been trying to add more fiber into my diet for exactly this reason!!! Trying Fiber One bars now, as well as nutri-grain bars. Hoping something helps, soon!!
  • Options
    momto3soonbe4momto3soonbe4 member
    edited February 2016
    Have a kebab does the trick for me lol
  • Options
    Mirralax mixed in 10oz of prune juice, apple sauce and dried prunes will do the trick
  • Options
    Add a probiotic like Pearl that you can pop once a day. I'd skip the greasy fast food meals for right now as they are hard on your digestive system and may make you feel worse. 
  • Options
    I have to poop brag for a second (nothing else to brag about lol). But I have switched to raisin bran and eating a few prunes a day (prune juice is so gross to me!), and I have been going to the bathroom so easily!  Plus I wrap sandwiches in lettuce or cabbage ( cabbage really helps too!). I've never pooped so well (knock on wood)
  • Options

I swear by psyllium husks. They make me way more regular and make it easier to go.  https://www.amazon.com/Yerba-Prima-Psyllium-Whole-12-Ounce/dp/B00013YYKS/ref=pd_sim_325_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=51COe2gTwfL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR91,160_&refRID=1A8F6C3YDQAB4G19HFSF

I drink a breakfast smoothie each day, and put a teaspoon to tablespoon in mine. I cannot taste them at all in the smoothie. Be sure to take a small amount to start and then build up to a larger amount, it says this on the bottle. I cannot imagine drinking it straight with water or OJ, but apparently some people do. A well blended smoothie is key for me. Good luck!!

• Options
    Suppository 
  • Options
    Try Miralax... the powder kind that dissolves in liquid.  I tried just a stool softner and had TERRIBLE stomach pains.  My OB said stool softners will do nothing if you are "not going" but miralax will help you go.  You can drink it everyday.  It's been a God-send!!!!
  • Options
    Colace (just the softener) and seriously, kim-chi. Veggies, and I LOVE dates/prunes so I eat those. Squatty potty!! get one and your pooping will become luxurious. Also, if you have a peri bottle you can use warm water to splash your bum and that helps to get things going.

Coffee. Specifically turkish coffee. A very small amount that tastes amazing and holy moly makes you poop. Good luck. I know its miserable!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards: