Single Parents
Options

single mom.

Hi everyone, didn't really know if it was OK to do this or not. I'm just really looking for someone to talk to. I'm 22 and 30 weeks pregnant with my first child. The father pretty much bailed when I found out I was expecting. He is always drama whenever we do talk. He always threatens to take the baby away from me. He doesn't even act like he cares about the baby at all. I'm am overly excited to welcome my little boy in feburary. I just feel like I always have to be looking over my shoulder making sure he isn't going to take him or anything. I stress about this constantly. If anyone has any advice or just some kind words of encouragement it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Re: single mom.

• Options
    I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'm almost 22 weeks. The father broke up with me a few weeks ago but we still lived together and then gave me false hope that we would be again. All the while talking to someone else. He threatens to take my child as well.
  • Options
    Well, first, for the both of you, the father can't just walk into the hospital and walk out with the baby. Not without a court order.  Also, he can't take the baby away from you without a court order.

@jstoos01 - When you say he is drama when you guys talk, what exactly is he saying?  I assume it isn't anything abusive since you did not say it was. From this point on, you should tell him you only wish to communicate via text/email. This way, if he says something to you that is threatening or abusive, you have it in writing and it isn't a "he said she said" situation (those are much harder to deal with if you end up in court).  Also, don't delete any texts, his or your responses.  Start documenting his behavior, and start consulting lawyers if you believe he will kidnap your child.  A lot of lawyers will have a free consultation session to see what your options are, but you'll have to really look for someone who could take you on cheaply or pro bono.  If you are in a certain income bracket, I think you can get a state aided attorney.  I would recommend doing that.  Also, if his behavior warrants this, you can contact the police in regards to a restraining order.  You can go to the police department and tell them your situation and ask if they can do a restraining order with the behavior that he's already exhibited, but they'll probably want documented proof.  If he wants to be involved, that's ok.  But it is very much so NOT ok for him to be threatening to take the baby away from you.  Especially if you plan on breastfeeding, the baby will need to be close to you as much as possible.  

@Bridgetalyse20 - Are you still living with him?  If so, GTFO.  It'll be a load lifted off your shoulders.  If you have family or friends nearby, see if you could move in temporarily until you find a new place to go.  If you don't, look for a shelter.  Again, he can't take your baby away without a court order.  I would also look into lawyers in your case.  And, like I said to OP, tell him to keep all contact via text/email.  If he doesn't like that, he can leave you a voicemail and that will also be documented proof.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jstoos01jstoos01 member
    edited December 2015
    @20thirteen He was threatening me. I had to block him on Facebook because he was stalking everything I said and did. The only way I got him to stop talking to me was to threaten him with the idea of getting a restraining order against him. The last time I talked to him was about 4 months ago and he told me he wouldn't be at the hospital when the baby is born but he will see me in court to get full custody. Then hung up on me. He never calls or texts to see how the baby is doing or anything. I've told him about many appointments and finally gave up telling him anything because he never acted like he cared. When I first found out I was pregnant he wanted me to get an abortion now he wants full custody.
  • Options
    I've seen this before.  It confuses me that some guys will pressure the fuck out of a girl to get an abortion and then suddenly want the baby all to themselves.  Makes the kind of sense that doesn't.  However, the lack of communication on his part is actually points for you.  BUT you can't stop giving him updates, no matter how little it seems that it means to anything.  If he takes you to court, you have all the proof that you reached out to him to give him updates and he gave you back radio silence.  Do you still have the threats somewhere? A screen shot, or anything of that nature?  That would benefit you as well, but I totally would understand if you didn't.  The behavior he's exhibiting would show the court that he's not fit to be the sole custodial parent.  If, for some reason, he was granted any kind of custody or visitation, you can request supervised visits (officer stays with him while you are in another room) or supervised exchanges.  

And the thing about the hospital is amusing.  It doesn't matter whether or not he wants to be at the hospital.  The staff isn't there to make sure he's being taken care of or if his feelings are being taken into account for anything.  When the time comes for the baby to be born, anything that happens is your call. You don't want him in the delivery room? BOOM, nurses kick him out.  You don't want him at the hospital? BOOM, security keeps him out of the building.  The doctor and the nurses are there for you.  The birthing experience needs to be as stress free as possible.  Stress can complicate things, they know that, so they have to keep you comfortable, they have to keep you as unstressed as humanly possible while you push out the watermelon.  So the fact he went out of his way to make the birth about him makes me laugh.  

Again, I cannot stress enough that all communication from this point on must be written only.  Document everything, the lack of interest, the threats, everything.  Please look into lawyers in your area, even if only for a free consult on what your options are.  You might be advised to get that restraining order. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @20thirteen I have everything in text messages. The only way he would be able to contact me now is through Facebook but I have him blocked because of the threats he was making. And as far as I know he isn't working and doesn't live in a stable home so he doesn't have a phone and I have no way to contact him. He has my number but never tries to contact me so that shows me that he doesn't care. I would be OK with him signing his rights away over getting child support from him just because all he does is cause problems and stress that my kid doesn't deserve to deal with.
  • Options
    jstoos01 said:

@20thirteen I have everything in text messages. The only way he would be able to contact me now is through Facebook but I have him blocked because of the threats he was making. And as far as I know he isn't working and doesn't live in a stable home so he doesn't have a phone and I have no way to contact him. He has my number but never tries to contact me so that shows me that he doesn't care. I would be OK with him signing his rights away over getting child support from him just because all he does is cause problems and stress that my kid doesn't deserve to deal with. </blockq

Becareful with that. Him signing his rights away also means he doesn't have to pay child support in most states. When the baby is born try and get full custody. I'm also in the same boat. I'll be having my lil girl this coming Tues Dec 29th. There are social workers at the hospital to answer your questions and to help you. My child's father hasn't talked to me since I told him. I texted him updates and everything. I made sure to keep all my text messages.. Even the cold hearted ones he sent me. Document everything!!!!!