January 2016 Moms

Pregnancy Rhinitis

smalliwogsmalliwog member
edited December 2015 in January 2016 Moms
Anyone else suffering from pregnancy rhinitis? I'm 36 weeks and have had this since 30 weeks. I started Rhinocort a week ago after finding out it is safe to take but it's not working as well as I would have hoped. Still get extremely congested in at least one nostril and can't get air in or out. Can't sleep at night and am completely miserable

Re: Pregnancy Rhinitis

• This was me before getting pregnant because I have such bad environmental allergies.  Its only gotten worse and worse.  I have to sleep with breatheright strips on and I still end up mouth breathing at least 50% of the time.  I get out of breath so easy.
  • It's miserable! It's already hard to breathe at this stage of pregnancy. Now my sinuses just feel so dry that I can't sleep because of that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto here. Just trying to ride it out! No advice, just commiseration. Sorry, momma.
  • I have had this entire pregnancy and now ontop i have a sinus infection. I am sorry you are dealing with this as well. I use neti pot multiple times a day and drink lots of fluid. Sorry i dont have any more helpful suggestions feel better!
  • I've had it for about 10 weeks...now I have the flu too. My baby is probably used to my germy sounds.
  • I've had it for a while, in fact, I'm getting used to it so it's bothering me less, I've started using a humidifier in my room at night.
  • Same here. Second Neti pot and nasal steroid. I hate it
  • smalliwogsmalliwog member
    edited December 2015
    rah938-What nasal steroids have you tried?
  • I use flonase, doc said it's fine considering without it I would have constant sinus infection (I have sinusitis and polyps). 
  • Smalliwog, i always have bad hayfever allergies and only thing that helped with congestion was using one of those nasal douches that u mix with lukewarm water and saline powder.

You can buy it from any chemist... It doesn't hurt but just takes a bit of getting used to. I even use it when i get a flu or virus and my nose clogs up as its the quickest way to flush out the congestion compared to relying on antibiotics so maybe try it..

You can also buy a saline nasal spray which basically dries up the congestion in ur nose.

I am 36 weeks this friday and last thursday got a flu or something and dr prescribes antibiotics as my left nostril was so congested and causing phlegm and was going yellow... I had been burning tea tree, lavender and peppermint essential oils in the hope it would clear up my nose and prevent hubby catching what i got but nose was so blocked i couldn't smell anything...
  • Yes. I am so stuffy every morning. Luckily the pressure lets up by midday, allowing me to breathe normally.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • @smalliwog--I've used both Flonase and Nasacort. Both are OTC and safe. I'd say I get some relief but it isn't complete.
  • @rah938-good to know. I started out with nasacort and wasn't getting relief. That's when I got Rhinocort. Same thing, it helps but not completely.