Stay at Home Moms

Newly SAHM

My LO is 12 weeks and I am now officially a SAHM. I've worked my way up in the fashion industry for the past 6 years with a great salary and while I loved t at first it became a love hate relationship. Very stressful, anxiety led me to go on Zoloft as I would clench jaw and have TMJ at night. When I was actually able to do my job I loved it, but most of the time it was women higher than me giving their opinions and changing minds all the time. I always thought I may want to be a SAHM and once home with my little girl the choice was pretty clear. Now that I have told my boss and talked to HR today, it is a done deal. After I got off the phone I felt a little anxious and panic. My mom told me to hope I don't regret it since she sacrificed her career so my dad could have one. I love being home and doing things at home, but am worried when the kids are off to school I will have nothing. Not that I necessarily want to go back to work, but what if I get sick of it? I just had a little worry and am looking from advice from other SAHM or similar position ladies. Anyone regret it? I don't want this feeling for years, fearing the future. Hopefully it will go away. It's just hard working so hard for something and then just giving it up. But again I don't want to go back at all. Thanks in advance!

Re: Newly SAHM

• I just posted a reply in the post right above yours that I think would apply to you too, so you might want to read that.
    At frist I felt like I had "given up" all those years of college and building my career, but over the years of being a SAHM that has passed. Now I am okay with it.
    It took a while, but I've found other like minded friends over the years and that's helped too. Also, I'm homeschooling my oldest now, and am active in our local homeschool community. So, there's always new challenges. I have no regrets!
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I remember being young and how important it was for me that my mom was a stay at home mom. She was always there when I needed her most and she was always at all my school functions when my dad couldn't be due to the fact that he worked full time. Being a stay at home mom effects your children in the long run, and it was so nice to know that she was there and always available for me ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • I was a banker prior to this in an analysis role. Like you, I was stressed and anxious. My mom gave up a career as well. She told me it was the best decision she ever made. I've only been doing this for just shy of 3 months, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My son will be 3 months on Christmas and I feel better about being home to care for him. There is nothing to say that if we don't enjoy this that we can't go back to our fields at a later time.
  • Christina, I am a SAHM too. I have 3 boys who are older and I worked, now I have a 14 week old girl and I stay at home with her. I have always been a MLM snob but after I was introduced to Plexus from my doctor and it was safe to breastfeed with it I, have become an ambassador. I love it because I have no quotas and can work the business when I want. If you would like more information let me know.
  • I know exactly how you feel. I graduated law school and became a barred attorney. I worked for a few months when my first born was born and then never went back. I have dabbled in a few different work at home things, but never (until recently) found something that made me feel like I was of any worth aside from being a mom. But, now that it has been seven years I realize that this is my life and that is okay. I love being a mom and have become okay with the fact that I am not an attorney even though I put so much time into it. But, it is a process and I still struggle with it. I think it's something that takes time and we may always struggle with in a way. You just need to find things you are passionate about and love while being a stay at home mom that also makes you whole!

Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • I'm a new mom, my daughter is now 1 year old. I work part time and was in school part time while staying home with her in the first year. I might not go back to school next semester and I am already cringing when someone asks "what do you do all day"? The question really gets to me because I have to defend the fact that my job is watching my daughter full time. It actually makes me feel sad when I stop to think about how society views my role. How do I become a confident mom who stops caring so much about the fact that I don't work full time? Staying home with my daughter is what works for my family, its cost effective. I just wish I didn't feel so ashamed to say I am a stay at home mom sometimes.... any suggestions for how to take pride in my role? and how to really explain to ppl all that I do?
  • I'm a new mom, my daughter is now 1 year old. I work part time and was in school part time while staying home with her in the first year. I might not go back to school next semester and I am already cringing when someone asks "what do you do all day"? The question really gets to me because I have to defend the fact that my job is watching my daughter full time. It actually makes me feel sad when I stop to think about how society views my role. How do I become a confident mom who stops caring so much about the fact that I don't work full time? Staying home with my daughter is what works for my family, its cost effective. I just wish I didn't feel so ashamed to say I am a stay at home mom sometimes.... any suggestions for how to take pride in my role? and how to really explain to ppl all that I do?
    Are the people asking these extremely rude questions parents themselves? I can't imagine anyone with any experience with a baby would ask that. I would raise my eyebrows in response and ask them if they know how much work taking care of a baby is. It is work! That's why there are people such as nannys that get paid to do it. What do these people think? That your child plays quietly by herself all day? That she feeds herself whatever left overs there happen to be? That she is mature enough to realize she's sleepy and it's nap/bedtime and goes down without a fight? Not to mention the housework, errands, etc. These people are either truly ignorant or they're jealous. Keep your head up. You're doing something truly wonderful for your daughter and that is nothing to be ashamed of.
  • This post is great! I am considering becoming a SAHM and I am having the EXACT same feelings of stress at my current job... but also I am afraid that I will be bored or "waste" my education or training.  Thanks for the words of wisdom!
  • I'm definitely struggling with this as well. I haven't officially made the decision yet as I'm still on mat leave and do have the option of going back. I'm not so much concerned with leaving my current position as it isn't really what I went to school for and I wouldn't consider it a "career" - I'm more worried about taking a 3-4 year break from the workforce and rendering my education and previous work experience useless or "outdated" when I want to return to work. I worry I'll have a hard time finding something in my field again with such a large gap on my resume. But I know I want to be home with DD and we can afford for me to do it, and part of me feels being a SAHM is worth the risk. It's absolutely something I'm still struggling with though. 
  • Congrats!  I love being a SAHM!  I don't regret not going back to work, and we are saving a ton in daycare expenses. I will admit that some days are rough, but overall I think it is so worth it to be able to invest in my boys' lives right now.  I know your little one is really young right now, but when she is a little older it is fun to find new activities to entertain you and her so that you don't get bored doing the same thing everyday. I hope you continue to enjoy your time at home with your little one. 
  • I can also relate to this.  I am a stay at home mom to a 2 and 4 year old and is the best decision I made.  I don't think you will regret it but maybe find a hobby or a small work from home job or something in that nature.  I did get stir crazy and was looking and looking for something to do with my time while having fun.  I am now a SAHM but I am a Younique presenter which is amazing to work from home play with makeup and tend to the kiddies all day.  It has been an amazing experience and has helped out in so much with extra activities and such.  So I just recommend finding something to do, because it feels great having your own money 

Anniversary