Postpartum Depression

Anxiety about sleeping when baby sleeps

kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
edited December 2015 in Postpartum Depression
Hey everyone, I'm a new mom and new to this board. I'm having some pretty decent anxiety about baby sleeping and me sleeping at the same time. DD is 2 weeks old and she's slept on me, in a bouncer and in a bassinet since we've been home. DH and I are trying to keep her in her bassinet but I have anxiety about falling asleep without her on me. I'm worried about her outfits suffocating her, the swaddle coming lose and suffocating her, her choking on spit up and SIDS. Normal ftm worries? I feel like when she's not on me I can't sleep and I just stare in the bassinet all night checking on her. Does this worry pass or should I speak to my doc about this anxiety?

Re: Anxiety about sleeping when baby sleeps

• I have some of this too. My baby is a little over 2 weeks old. I think time is helping a bit and observing her sleep patterns so I know what to listen out for. I still wake up several times to check on her but the nerves are a tiny bit less than the first few nights. I sleep best when she is on me but this has its dangers too. Is your anxiety any better than in the beginning?
  • I'd be more anxious about baby sleeping on me! If you're using a swaddle blanket like summer infant or halo I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital really shoved sids down our throats. It's made me uber paranoid. I'd be more paranoid about her sleeping on me than anything else. Just know you're doing what you can. I am buying a Snuza halo today so I don't spend my evenings looking at the monitor instead of sleeping
  • Normal to be nervous, especially if this is your first. It's always important to be careful but it gets easier as they get older and can roll around and push up etc. I am on my second now and I worry about the same stuff but maybe a little less because maybe I am a little more used to it? Hang in there. 
  • I have definitely been in the same boat! I will often stay up all night just checking that DD is okay. I used to sleep in our recliner and "wear" her against my body so she couldn't accidentally fall. I had tied everything so that no folds of fabric could possibly get in her face in case I nodded off. We have a "co-sleeper" that is basically a very sturdy, padded edged, mesh-enclosed basket that goes in our bed. It makes it so I can see her very clearly while laying in bed. She's 6 weeks now and she's starting to move around more in her sleep. She's thown herself to one side or the other and it gives me relief to see that the mesh allows plenty of air all around. I also love that there is an elastic panel so I can sleep in my bed with a hand on DD so I can feel her breathing without fear of crushing her. We used to do snug swaddles when she moved less, then moved to "arms out" swaddles so she couldn't flip her blanket over her face trying to pull her arms out. Now we just do a onesie and no blankets. DH and I don't even sleep with blankets so we can't accidentally flip our blankets onto her. This is the only way I can get to sleep...

Baby has to be
    - in her sleeper with no blankets/toys/etc, nowhere near the edge of the bed
    - baby has to start sleep with a binky (related to lowering SIDS risk)
    - the thermostat has to be set to 68-72 degrees F
    - the fan has to be on to circulate the air and prevent rebreathing
    - baby has to be in a onesie or footed PJs depending on the relative temperature with a properly fitting neckline that isn't going to sneak up over her nose
    - nightlight on so I can see her easily, make sure the nightlight isn't a color that makes baby's skin tone look scary colors, I learned this the hard way with a blue-toned nightlight
    - DH and I are in snug PJs with no blankets
    - if she's nasally or snorting at all I will use some baby saline spray and clear her nasal passages before bed so I know that her airway is clear

I know it sounds so paranoid and anal retentive, but this is how I calm my anxiety enough to actually fall asleep.