Formula Feeding
Options

When to increase formula

My little guy was eating 2 oz every 3 hrs, now we've hit a patch where sometimes he wants to eat every 2 hrs. I found a thing online that says you should take their weight x 2.5 and that will tell you how many ounces they should be eating a day. Does anyone follow use this equation or do you more go with offering another ounce after they are done if they still seem hungry? I don't want to flood him with formula and cause him to spit up.

Re: When to increase formula

• Options
    I didn't follow a guidline. I just increased it when I noticed she was still hungry, fussing after finishing a bottle and/or rooting shortly after her bottle. I would just take it slow. Only increase .5-1 ounce. The entire time my daughter was on formula, I never went over six ounces. I would just feed on demand or give her a little bit a hour or so later. 
  • Options
    I didn't follow a guidline. I just increased it when I noticed she was still hungry, fussing after finishing a bottle and/or rooting shortly after her bottle. I would just take it slow. Only increase .5-1 ounce. The entire time my daughter was on formula, I never went over six ounces. I would just feed on demand or give her a little bit a hour or so later. 
    This.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use the 2.5 equation as an estimate for formula.

Baby eats at 4 am, 7 or 8, then every two hours til bedtime. Sleeps all night. 7 weeks adjusted.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Today I started giving him 2 ounces and then another ounce after that if still hungry. So this morning he had 2 ounces, burped him, he started eating his hands and snorting so I gave him another ounce. Then an hr later he was eating his hands and grunting again. Gave him another ounce and he passed out for his nap. Yesterday I tried giving him 3 ounces to start, he ate the whole thing but spit up more than normal. Why can't they just have a little full line on them so you know when they are perfectly full! Lol
  • Options
    I wouldn't feed after an hour unless there's crying. Ours puts hands in mouth. that's a good developmental step. Doesn't necessarily mean hungry. How old is baby?
  • Options
    He is a little over 3 weeks. I have been trying to offer him the paci to see if he takes it instead. Most of the time he doesn't and winds up getting PO and wants more formula.
  • Options
    Oh just feed him when he wants it. He's so young!