Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn Reflux?

Vik9Vik9 member
edited December 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My newborn (9 weeks) started having congestion and sounding like a little piglet a few weeks ago. Last week he started waking around 3 am congested and uncomfortable hiccuping with tons of saliva. He never wakes up screaming, if he wakes up he starts moving around and makes some noises but never cries until recently, he would wake from a short nap just screaming. We spoke to our pediatrician the other day and he said that it might be reflux and we could give him medication if we choose to. I don't want to give him medication but he seems extremely uncomfortable and i can feel something is wrong. Anyone else experience reflux? I thought it might be gas but i have tried giving him gas drops and it doesnt seem to do much. I have read about relux and it seems like babies are constantly crying and are just miserable so I don't think my son has GERD but symptoms seem similar.

Re: Newborn Reflux?

• Options
    Ours with reflux wasn't like that. Pushing back hard after feeding, hard time burping. But dr might have had a case like yours. Meds are safe.
  • Options
    It could be silent reflux. I have been struggling with this with my 6 week old. He has really bad congestion; Although, as pp mentioned he would cry through bottles, arch his back and it became really hard for him to get settled after a feeding. We have switched to a hypoallergenic formula and have him on Zantac which has made a world of difference.
    If your formula feeding you could try that first before giving him meds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine just started that and our pedi said pre-teething. She's not cutting teeth, but it's coming! Def checkout out teething symptoms before putting LO on any medication. Will she gnaw on your knuckle? That's what convinced me.