Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How often does your L.O. cry? Outing question

Hi, ladies!

My 11 week old daughter is definitely less fussy since I eliminated dairy from my diet..but she still cries throughout the day. I posted because my sister wanted me to bring her to watch the guys play golf at Top Golf..but I picture the baby being fussy and me wanting to take her home, ruining the guy's trip. My sister's daughter is 8 months and I feel like they're just more social at that age. When I told her that I didn't think it was a good place for babies, she said that she'd just walk her daughter around if she started crying. With that said..does it sound like my baby is unusually fussy or is it pretty normal for me to feel like she wouldn't have fun at an driving range?

Thank you in advance, mamas!

Re: How often does your L.O. cry? Outing question

• I think the normal part of this post is you being worried about how she will be in public. I have 2 kids and I still worried about this when out with my second child. She cried all the freaking time when she was really young. I was afraid to be at a restaurant, at the mall, what if I couldn't get her fed quick enough and she wouldn't stop crying!!

Most likely your daughter is normal and you are totally right that an 8 month old is way more social and "easier" than an 11 week old but for now you deal with it. I had to still go places and get over my paranoia because I didn't want to be trapped at home. The more you expose her, the more chill she will be (hopefully!).

Go to Top Golf and if worse comes to worse, leave!

• is it pretty normal for me to feel like she wouldn't have fun at an driving range?

Does anyone have fun at the driving range? :-)

I think it's okay to feel concerned about being in certain places with an upset infant. I'm not afraid to take my kiddo out (we had a family wedding to be at when she was 9 days old) but I don't go places that are going to be harder than others if I don't have to. Nursing away from home is hard for us (flat nipples and a shield don't work that well in public) so I always need to pump and bring a bottle...its just more effort than necessary for some places.

Go with your gut and do what you think is best.

• Loading the player...
  • At this age I'm not sure she will really have fun any place more than another. So, the real question is do you want to go. As PP said, the more you take her out the more relaxed you'll be and at least it's an outdoor (I think) thing so no one should be bothered if baby gets fussy.

That said, if you don't want to go, perfectly ok to use the baby to get out of it :)
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• I'd agree with PPs! Also, do you ever wear your baby? My LO is 8wks, and she's much happier when we are out and about if she's snuggled up to me in her moby. It also makes it easier to see warning signs of upsetness (which is probably not a real word...).
    I'd say that if you want to go be social, go have fun! If your sister really wants you there, maybe you could switch babies for a little bit so she can calm yours and you can get a break by playing with the more social (because he's older) baby.
    If you don't want to go because the whole thing sounds boring to you, use baby as an excuse and invite sister to see your LO another time!
  • Squirtgun said:
    I'd agree with PPs! Also, do you ever wear your baby? My LO is 8wks, and she's much happier when we are out and about if she's snuggled up to me in her moby. It also makes it easier to see warning signs of upsetness (which is probably not a real word...). I'd say that if you want to go be social, go have fun! If your sister really wants you there, maybe you could switch babies for a little bit so she can calm yours and you can get a break by playing with the more social (because he's older) baby. If you don't want to go because the whole thing sounds boring to you, use baby as an excuse and invite sister to see your LO another time!
    Totally agree with wearing her. I did everything in the first couple months with DD in the Moby.
  • Yeah i basically couldn't leave the house with DD while on maternity leave because she would all out scream just about everywhere.  The car, the drive-through, the grocery store, the mall, the carrier...i tried them all.  Around 13 weeks she stopped crying as much and started liking her stroller and car seat, so we were able to start bringing her places.  Now we try to bring her somewhere every day when we're home on weekends - she likes being out and about and looking at different stuff.  during the week she goes to daycare and DH says that when he drops her off she is SO PUMPED to be there.  She just likes changes in scenery and a lot of activity i think. 
  • Baby wearing is great. Mine slept in the baby ktan carrier a lot the 1st 2 -3 months. Just keep in mind babies can get over stimulated easily especially if there is a lot of people coming over and interacting with them. I think baby wearing with baby facing you helps but when babies have had enough excitement they really let everyone know. Maybe it would be best to take your own car and know you can leave whenever.