Baby Names
Options

Initials

I've been pretty hesitant to make this post because I don't want to hear what I'm already thinking, because honestly I don't think it will change my mind. I know how important good initials are as I use mine daily for work. We picked a name for our baby boy due in February before we even knew the sex, if anyone remembers my post from months ago, girl names were a struggle we luckily didn't have to go through. Anyways, we picked a name beginning with a "W" and middle name that starts with "A". Our last name starts with "D", making our little boys initials WAD. This has been playing very heavy on my mind, but I love our name for him! I guess my question is, is it really that bad of an initial combo? Like it could be worst right??? Ugh. Lay it on me hard guys.

Re: Initials

• Options
    Ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnh.

I usually just do first last for initialing foe legal purposes, but I would look for something that didn’t spell wad.

It's not as bad as ASS though.
  • Options
    It's a little unfortunate, but it's not a deal breaker for me if you really love the names.  Agree with PP, could be worse.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @penelope4612 That's exactly how I feel. Thanks for the reassurance!
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't use initials like ASS or FUK, but WAD isn't bad. Like pp said, I just use first and last for initialing paperwork.
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it... I mean how often are full initials used ... Especially for kids ... And hopefully his grown up self can handle the office humor :)
  • Options
    ElRuby said:

I don't see a problem with it... I mean how often are full initials used ... Especially for kids ... And hopefully his grown up self can handle the office humor :)

There's also the chance that wad will no longer be used as a euphemism for ejaculation when he grows up, slang changes faster than the rest of language.
  • Options
    There are worse things it could be. My dads initials are P.E.E.
  • Options
    It's not great, but as PP said it's not awful. ASS, PEE or FUK would be worse.

My good friend in college has initials KEG... It fit her perfectly! :wink:
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • Options
    Not the end of the world. Growing up my initials spelled BEG. Not something I wanted on a backpack or anything, but not one person ever noticed, made fun of it or said anything. I just avoided initialed items in that order.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited December 2015
    I agree with everyone, it could be worse. I have heard some unfortunate initial combos but very rare do people use monograms and for boys. If he eventually needs to initial a paper, he would do WD, I never used all three letters for that. Also you love the name! Don't let the thought of his initial deter you from using the name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think WAD is bad at all. (Maybe I'm missing something?) 

I feel you though about being concerned about initials. Our favourite name would make her initials OJS, which all I can think about is OJ Simpson. I truly think I'm the only person who would think twice about it though. I think you're good, Mama! 
  • Options
    You've got to change it up! What's the a name? Is there a variation that would work? Can you give him your Maiden last name?
  • Options
    Baby'smom said:

You've got to change it up! What's the a name? Is there a variation that would work? Can you give him your Maiden last name?

There is no variation of the name, and I wouldn't give him my maiden name.... We're married and he would be the only one with that last name then. But thank you for your input.

Also thanks everyone else. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake giving him those initials, and it seems everyone thinks it's ok.

Growing up my initials were (and still are, married someone with last name starting with same letter) EAD, or ED. I hated it and was selfconscious growing up, but now it's not a big deal, probably because I use them everyday. Hopefully my lo will feel the same way.

• Options
    My initials are ASK and my friend is ARM. Like the previous posters, I wouldn't worry to much about WAD. There are more things that have to do with wad, then the sexual meaning. You could wad a piece of paper, you can chew a wad of gum.....

Now the ASS, FUK, PEE ones, those are pretty bad...but nothing compares to my husband's cousin who's initials are KKK. How his aunt and uncle didn't notice that, I have no idea. And they are not racist at all (their former son in law was black and they LOVED him). 

If you got something with his initials on it, just opt out of the "WAD", and go for the "wDa" <-- pretend that is in fancy-schmancy font
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I don't see a problem at all! If you love the name go for it!
  • Options
    I don't think it's terrible. If you love the name, go for it.