April 2016 Moms

Your opinion: Should Expectant Mothers get their own parking spaces?

For discussion: I just seen an article on this. https://www.hotmomsclub.com/should-expectant-moms-get-their-own-public-parking-spaces-now/#sthash.GenBENNr.dpbs

Do you think we should get our own parking space? Why or why not? Would you use it it it was available?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Your opinion: Should Expectant Mothers get their own parking spaces?

• My opinion right now? No.
    My opinion at 36+ weeks? Probably a little different! Lol
  • I agree with PP!  I'd love "Family Parking" in the winter, especially since you can't bundle little ones up in their coats for the car rides!
  • Loading the player...
  • And the fact that the website this article is from is called "Hot Moms Club" is making me eye rolll even more.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I'd say no, just because a little extra walking is a little extra exercise. I'm happy to walk, even if my back, feet, and hips ache!
  • I don't like the idea of special parking spaces generally, but with those certain complications I can see that it would be beneficial in some cases.
    Personally though I do park in spot closer than my assigned one at work lately since the parking lot is very icey!
  • At my job, yes...for the rest of the world, no. I work in an office of a large manufacturing plant. I arrive at 8 am, three hours after the plant opens. I will never get a parking spot next to the building, but I usually end up at the end of the lot. The spring, summer and fall it's not an issue. In the winter no one pays attention to the lines, and we have a parking issue to begin with. We also don't take the greatest care of the lot so I typically wipe out at least once. It would be nice to be close to the building even if it was only for a few months.

We also redid our parking over the summer. I ranted about the new layout and even complained to my boss, "I don't want to be eight months hiking across the parking lot." I got my surprise BFP two weeks later.
  • Nope, not unless there's a complication. We're supposed to stay active, and giving all pregnant women the go-ahead to park as close to their destinations as possible really isn't in the best interest of healthy expectant women.
  • No, not unless you have some sort of complication. My gym has a few families with small children spots, and I would use it with DS + new baby. I think those are fine.
  • My are grocery has Expectant Mother/Parents with Small Children spots next to the handicap spots. I don't use them and I've never seen them used by the designated parties. They might as well read "close parking for people who don't mind dirty looks."

But, I don't use them and I probably won't. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • No I do not. The expectant mom spots on base always annoyed me so I parked in them anyway.
  • Meh. I'm neutral on the subject. If a store wants to offer them as a courtesy, I'm not going to argue with it, but I'm probably not going to use it most of the time, either (except perhaps in the winter, when ice is bad, since pregnancy already is throwing off my balance a bit and I didn't have much to begin with). For women whose pregnancy causes more serious mobility issues or complications, though, I'd prefer to see them accommodated in existing handicap spots, if they're not already. If you're at the point where a closer spot is a need, rather than a courtesy, you should qualify for a temporary permit. No need to segregate based on disability type.
  • In general, no, but a few weeks ago we were at a VERY crowded grocery store and were having trouble finding a spot. Guess what spot was open? Yes, we took it.
  • AliSummer said:
    My are grocery has Expectant Mother/Parents with Small Children spots next to the handicap spots. I don't use them and I've never seen them used by the designated parties. They might as well read "close parking for people who don't mind dirty looks."

But, I don't use them and I probably won't. 
    I think it's actually more legit for parents with small children. Especially now that my son is bigger, he demands to walk across the parking lot and I basically have to drag him because he doesn't want to hold my hand and will try to run off. I totally use the grocery spots for mothers with small children, but I don't need a special "pregnant" spot when I"m by myself.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I would use it and I have used it. They have loads of them around here (for expectant mothers + parent/ infant parking) and I used to use it all the time when I was super pregnant. Why wouldn't I? I was waddling. I felt the like the baby was going to drop out of my v-jay at any given second. And 99% of the times I was in the middle of a Pee Emergency. 
  • Are there really family parking spots or is that hypothetical? I have never seen them before.
  • There's only one store in my area that offers parking spaces for expecting mothers and I've used it once when I was late 30 something weeks and it was getting a bit uncomfortable. I felt like people were judging me. I didn't feel comfortable using it. But yes, I agree it's not a disability and if you can't walk while you're pregnant, I'm thinking you're probably not going to grocery stores.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Our groceries stores where I live have families with small children parking spot, they are great, my problem with them is they are forever away from anywhere to put the carts, and I hate leaving the kids in the car by themselves while I put the cart back.
    Married DH 2008
    DS-Born 2/2011
    DD-Born 5/2013
    DD- Born 4/2016
    Baby #4 Due November 2017! 

• I've already started to waddle when I walk, so I would vote yes... because nothing is more annoying than waddling across the entire packed parking lot in the cold, wet winter. And when it gets to ice? I do not want to risk falling just trying to walk to the store from my car. The closer to the door, the better.
  • I think that the women who would qualify for what the article is saying should just get a temporary handicap tag
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Lurking..

A little over 36 weeks pregnant and I wish more stores had expectant mother parking spots. My sciatic nerve and pelvic area KILL me when I walk!
  • I appreciated it at my previous job. I always had at least half an hour walk in if I didn't get there before 7:30, and with having to come late for various reasons like doctors appointments, it was extremely helpful. I didn't need it physically but rather for time management.

It was only in the third tri. I wish it had been first tri too because I would dry heave or vomit the whole walk to the car. Fresh air was a big trigger.
  • Well I don't have a car, so it's not really something I have an opinion on, but I totally love the designated seats on the busses here for pregnant women or women with infants :P

• Being pregnant with 3 children under the age of 5, yes, I'd definitely take a pregnant/family spot. But, like pp said, I'd want it near a cart corral. However, I haven't seen any in our neck of the woods.
  • I agree with what everyone is saying. If it's there, take advantage of it if you really need to. If you're healthy and have no risks then I believe you can survive a little bit of a walk. Walking is good for you anyways. Don't get me wrong here but when I'm 30+ weeks I might be taking full advantage of it. If I'm extremely uncomfortable I'm not walking across a parking lot just saying. That's a totally different story though.
  • I've always seen them and thought you had have a special sticker or sign in your car to use them? Oops.
  • imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited December 2015
    Obviously BRU has these spots but otherwise, the only place I have seen them is in one Publix near us (which is not our usual store so we aren't there often). The only reason I have parked there (and it was with my previous pregnancy, as I haven't been there this year) was because the parking lot was so super packed that the only spots were literally on the opposite side of the lot across the road the runs through. I would get annoyed about parking that far away pregnant or not. Though I am that one that gets super crazy irritated when someone waits for my spot in the lot (while I'm unloading purchasing AND DD...) when there are some just a few rows back...are they not going to be walking around the store anyway...?

But a heck yes to the shoppers with small children spots! The only place that has that near us is BJs and we take advantage of it every single time. Again, a big reason is because the lot is usually pretty full, but she is a handful so I appreciate the opportunity to be in and out quicker, especially due to the large amounts of rain we get in Florida. And yes...I'll admit, if those spots are being used, I always look for a car seat when we walk past them on the way in...(I'm a rule follower...)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I agree with them for complications and the last stretch to make things more comfortable and accessible. Especially where I am, the winters are brutal and parking lots/streets etc are extremely slick. I would take advantage of this to avoid a bad slip at 7-9 months. If there is nothing wrong, the weather is nice and lots are safe I would definitely make the walk. I would say they're appropriate for those types of situations, otherwise there is nothing wrong with a trek into the store/mall where you'll be walking around anyway.

• Would I use the spots on a regular basis? Nope. I typically park farther out in parking lots to get extra steps in throughout the day.

However, given that most of the third trimester will be in the winter, and I have had bouts of horrible back pain already, I would definitely be open to using these spots in the future.
  • I take public transportation to and from work. Do I need a seat? Not always. Do I WANT to stand up for an hour on my way to work? Nope. I find that I tire more easily and, frankly, my balance sucks- I don't feel like getting thrown around a city bus first thing in the morning. So while I am capable of standing, it is so much nicer to not have to.

I kind of feel the same way about parking spots. If you don't want to use them, pass them up! But yesterday I had this horrible stitch in my side that would. not. go. away. So, yes, parking closer to the grocery store would have been lovely. You never know what kinds of aches and pains the person may be having, or if their baby is squashing their lungs, or if (as has happened to me) you have to poop and/or pee so bad that standing is painful. Sometimes the "issues" a person are having are invisible, so I try not to pass judgement.

My sister lives in Miami and they have family parking tags for pregnancy through 3 years. I know that, in September, when it was 100 degrees with 100% humidity and she was 9 months pregnant with a 2 year old, those spots were invaluable.

So anyway, my point is- take the spot. Or don't. Your choice.
  • I don't think they should be mandated, but they are a nice thing to do, particularly in very large lots or areas that get icy a lot in the winter. I don't use them presently (BRU and Wegmans has them) but will when things get slick and I get big and clumsy.
  • I personally love the idea.  Just because I personally would have no use for it the majority of the time (I like walking across the parking lot), doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.  Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would be so wildly against it considering you don't have to park there just because you're pregnant.  Acknowledging that it could be useful for others who maybe don't have a physical disability but have other issues that are exacerbated by pregnancy.

Besides, there are other times when it would be useful to have the option to park closer.  Also considering I live in a place that is super cold in the winter and ice is a very real problem (thanks, Vermont, for limiting the use of salt), walking all the way across a parking lot on a day like that would be hella dangerous with my (already shitty) balance.  Sorry, but I'm not going to let my pride get in the way of keeping myself and LO safe in dangerous conditions.
    BFP: 8/6/2015  --  Due Date: 4/18/2016

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would say yes, definitely. I see the perspective of the PP who said at a gym it's a little ridiculous, because the implication there is that you are pretty mobile.

However, somewhere like a hardware store where you may be dragging heavy items back to your car in your "about to pop" phase - why not paint ONE parking spot a different color to make it more convenient to do so?
    Most lots where I live in Miami have plenty of parking spaces in general, labeling one won't hurt anybody.

IMO it isn't taking away from the handicap spaces, saying those spots shouldn't exist or that pregnancy is somehow a handicap - that isn't the implication. It's just saying "these people could use a little more convenience, and we gave it to them". Same as the family parking spots.
  • The kroger by our old home had them and I used them during the third trimester with my daughter. I had horrible sciatic pain so appreciated the courtesy of having that option available. None of business have them where we live now. I work downtown and have to park in a garage that has tight spots. People have parked so close to me in the past I have had to climb over to the drivers side from the passenger side to get in my vehicle! I now get to work earlier just to park in the end spots so no one can trap me in! One day when I was about 8 weeks some one made a spot next to mine and cut it pretty close, but i was just able to squeeze in. I couldn't do it now. I felt like leaving a message on their car that they shouldn't make spots on endcaps and that there are pregnant people using the garage that cant fit when their inconsiderate ass parks there LOL... hormones.... that really made me so mad! ha!
  • One more thought.... i guess its the wider spots I appreciate more than the location! Lol! :)