Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Changed sleep pattern :(

My almost 3 month old WAS sleeping 5-6 hours a night which was really good for me and dh. But for the last 2-3 nights he's up every 2 hours exactly. He took a long nap closer to bed time but I didn't wake him b/c I read somewhere the more they sleep the better (leads to better sleeping at night) is this a phase? I do miss our good 5 hour chunks of sleep.

Re: Changed sleep pattern :(

• Hate to say it but this is normal. Parents always get excited because babies sleep pretty well for the first couple months and then it all goes to hell. As they grow, their sleep patterns change and it will most definitely affect sleep. For now, just keep it dark and quiet during the MOTN wake up's and if your LO is hungry, feed him and put him back to bed. That's all you can really do.

You are right though about the naps. Let your LO nap as much as he needs to during the day because it will help night time sleep eventually.

• There is a growth spurt around 3 months...so it could be that LO just wants to eat more at night for a few days.  I never woke LO up until after 3 months, when she had a fairly established night bedtime in place.  But occassionally i would nudge her awake around the 2 hour mark (especially if she had been napping on top of me that whole time...i'd transfer her to the crib at 2 hours, and that usually caused her to wake up within 15-20 minutes).

If it's not over in a few days, start a countdown...around 4-4.5 months, if it's still bad, you can start sleep training.  Maybe buy Ferber's book and read it now to prepare.  I bought it around 3 months and read through a good portion of it, but we haven't had to sleep train yet because (knock on wood) LO goes down really easily at night and sleeps through.  Hopefully this will continue, but if not, we will sleep train.

• Loading the player...