1st Trimester
Options

symptoms of pregnancy but negative blood&home tests

sarawilkins13sarawilkins13 member
edited November 2015 in 1st Trimester
Hi my husband and I are TTC, and I am now 3 months off birth control pill which I was on for many years. I am now 20 days overdue for my period which has been normal since being off the birth control, have been having nausea more on and off sometimes all day ( it was worse a few weeks ago than now), I also just noticed changes in my nipples , and discharge. Which from what ive read all sound exactly like pregnancy symptoms. (99% sure I'm not) I had a blood test about a week and half ago and it said that my hcg levels were less than 1. I just want to know if its possible for the blood test to be wrong or any clues as to what may be wrong with me. I have a doctors appointment later this week to figure out whats going on. anyone responding , I know I'm most likely not pregnant but would like any clues to what it may be or if anyone has experienced a similar thing.

Re: symptoms of pregnancy but negative blood&home tests

• Options
    Have you tried taking a HPT?
  • Options
    tgortneytgortney member
    edited November 2015

Hi my husband and I are TTC, and I am now 3 months off birth control pill which I was on for many years. I am now 20 days overdue for my period which has been normal since being off the birth control, have been having nausea more on and off sometimes all day ( it was worse a few weeks ago than now), I also just noticed changes in my nipples , and discharge. Which from what ive read all sound exactly like pregnancy symptoms. I had a blood test about a week and half ago and it said that my hcg levels were less than 1. I just want to know if its possible for the blood test to be wrong or any clues as to what may be wrong with me. I have a doctors appointment later this week to figure out whats going on.

If a blood test says you are not pregnant, you are not pregnant at this time.

Sometimes periods can be late/not happen due to stress (maybe from TTC) and other factors. What you're doing is right now is symptom spotting. Which is frowned upon because the best way to know if you're pregnant is a postive pregnancy test, postive blood test, US to confirm baby is in there. Since you've gone to a doctor's office for blood test and they say you're not pregnant then you should trust them more than the Internet.

I hope you find out what else could be wrong and good luck TTC :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi my husband and I are TTC, and I am now 3 months off birth control pill which I was on for many years. I am now 20 days overdue for my period which has been normal since being off the birth control, have been having nausea more on and off sometimes all day ( it was worse a few weeks ago than now), I also just noticed changes in my nipples , and discharge. Which from what ive read all sound exactly like pregnancy symptoms. I had a blood test about a week and half ago and it said that my hcg levels were less than 1. I just want to know if its possible for the blood test to be wrong or any clues as to what may be wrong with me. I have a doctors appointment later this week to figure out whats going on.

If you took the blood test at or around the time of when your period was due then you are not pregnant at this time. Pregnancy symptoms mean nothing if you haven't had a positive test. Sorry you are going through this confusion, I hope u get it sorted out
  • Options
    sarawilkins13sarawilkins13 member
    edited November 2015
    @pinklady2015: I did days before I got the blood tests but none since the test came back negative and haven't really been thinking about it since until new symptoms popped up
  • Options
    With a negative blood test I think it's quite likely that you aren't pregnant. Taking another hpt may ease your mind, but assuming that's also negative, then your "symptoms" are not of pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had more "pregnancy symptoms" when not pregnant than I ever did now that I actually am pregnant, especially around the time I got a BFP. Either it's too early to pick up or you're not pregnant. You don't really know when you're due for your period unless you know when you ovulate. Luteal phases are pretty consistent, but ovulation dates are not so most likely you are just ovulating late this cycle. Pregnancy tests are very accurate and a blood test pretty much removes the chances for user error. 
  • Options
    Pregnancy symptoms are identical to PMS symptoms. If a blood test is negative, then what you are feeling is your body adjusting to your natural hormones rather than the consistently leveled hormones provided by your birth control pill. It's natural for your discharge to change throughout your cycle. You can google cervical mucus or visit mybeautifulcervix.com for more information. 

I recommend visiting the "Trying to Get Pregnant" board and reading the "Newbie Guide to TTGP." It's filled with great information!
  • Options
    I felt more pregnant on cycles where I didn't conceive. I was convinced a couple times! Turned out I wasn't pregnant and had long cycles. No positive test (especially a blood test), no pregnancy.
  • Options
    Do you know if/when you ovulated? If your period is that late but the blood test was negative then you probably ovulated later than you thought you should.
    If you have no idea if you ovulated, I'd keep taking a hpt once per week until you get your period. If/when you get your period, you might want to start charting or using OPKs to get an idea if when ovulation is happening.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    If you weren't temping, you don't know when you ovulated, therefore you don't know when your period is due. It's possible you are just ovulating late or not at all this cycle. I  (and others) highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It will give you a lot of insight on questions like this. 

I've had many times when I was younger were I was convinced I was pregnant. Luckily, i was not at that time. You can have nausea for other reasons than being pregnant. 

You're seeing your doctor which is good, most people recommend testing once a week or until you get your period. If you go 60 days with no period see a doctor (which you already are).

• Options
    Your question has already been answered twice in TTGP....
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• Options
    You aren't pregnant, blood tests don't lie. Either a. It's in your head and you want to be pregnant so badly that your mind is giving you the symptoms that you so badly crave or b. Your body is still adjusting to being off the pill. I have heard from a few people that their first cycle or two was great off the pill and then it got all sorts of weird a few months later.