1st Trimester
Options

Dating Pregnancy Immediately After Loss (Loss mentioned)

I had an early m/c starting on Halloween. The doctor gave us the green light to TTC once we're ready. I ovulated on November 17th and got my first BFP yesterday at 10 DPO. But here's what I'm wondering... Has anyone else gotten pregnant the first cycle after miscarriage? Obviously I'll talk to the doctor next week (they were closed yesterday and all weekend) but I'm wondering what others have experienced with regard to how my pregnancy might be dated. I'm wondering if they'll date my pregnancy based on when my m/c started, treating it like the first day of my LMP, or if they'll date it based on my ovulation date.
Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

Re: Dating Pregnancy Immediately After Loss (Loss mentioned)

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Hi, sorry for your loss. Doctors don't date pregnancies from ovulation no matter what the case is. I totally am not saying this to be a bummer, but are you sure that you're not still testing positive from your miscarriage? I only ask because when I had my miscarriage I continued to test positive on hpts for 5 weeks. I had to ask because there's potential for major disappointment- it's happened to quite a few women I know. Either way, to answer your question- dating is always from LMP and since your miscarriage was your last bleed then I would think that is considered your Lmp. Best of luck
  • Options
    First off, sorry for your loss. I unfortunately know the pain of a mc.

Were you temping to confirm ovulation? If so, is your doctor on board with charting? Would he/she look at your chart? They might go by ovulation if they are a supporter of charting.

I would have to agree with PP that I tested positive on HPT's several weeks after both my MC's. Did your doctor follow your HCG levels down to zero?

If you don't feel like messing with it and you are 100% sure of your O date, you could tell them your LMP was 2 weeks before O. I've done that in the past and will do it this time around because I ovulate 1 week+ later than the "normal" woman.
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an early m/c starting on Halloween. The doctor gave us the green light to TTC once we're ready. I ovulated on November 17th and got my first BFP yesterday at 10 DPO. But here's what I'm wondering... Has anyone else gotten pregnant the first cycle after miscarriage? Obviously I'll talk to the doctor next week (they were closed yesterday and all weekend) but I'm wondering what others have experienced with regard to how my pregnancy might be dated. I'm wondering if they'll date my pregnancy based on when my m/c started, treating it like the first day of my LMP, or if they'll date it based on my ovulation date.
    I agree with PPs. Did you test prior to this BFP? If not, it's very possible it's hcg from your first pregnancy.

Your OB will count the start of your m/c bleeding as LMP. Your due date then change after your first u/s, but for dating purposes right now they will use your m/c bleeding.

I know you were on TTGP... were you temping to confirm O? If you ovulated really late, then you can say your LMP was a little later than it really was. I ovulated on CD9 so I fibbed and said my LMP was a week earlier than it actually was, otherwise my office wouldn't believe I actually was pregnant on CD17.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    OPKs can say your ovulating for weeks after a mc because the hormone is still present. Like others said, I had hcg in my system for nearly 2 months after my mc and would've turned a pregnancy test positive. If you haven't already, I suggest taking a couple blood tests 2-3 days apart to check your beta levels. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Hi all!
    My m/c was at 5 weeks and my beta hcg was already at 4 when I went to the ER so I was already testing negative at that point. It was 0 by my follow up a few days later. I took my first hpt this cycle on 9 DPO and it was completely negative. It was a very faint positive on 10 DPO and the line has gotten slightly darker each day (today is 12 DPO) so this is definitely a new pregnancy.
    I was charting and did confirm ovulation that way, though this was my first month charting and I'm honestly not sure if my doctor agrees with or approves charting. I also wasn't very good at taking my temp every single day. I had positive OPKs for almost 2 days, but they were negative for a week leading up to that, as well as a week after.
    Thanks for your input all! If she goes off my last bleed, it'll just be a few days off, which isn't so bad.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Hi all! My m/c was at 5 weeks and my beta hcg was already at 4 when I went to the ER so I was already testing negative at that point. It was 0 by my follow up a few days later. I took my first hpt this cycle on 9 DPO and it was completely negative. It was a very faint positive on 10 DPO and the line has gotten slightly darker each day (today is 12 DPO) so this is definitely a new pregnancy. I was charting and did confirm ovulation that way, though this was my first month charting and I'm honestly not sure if my doctor agrees with or approves charting. I also wasn't very good at taking my temp every single day. I had positive OPKs for almost 2 days, but they were negative for a week leading up to that, as well as a week after. Thanks for your input all! If she goes off my last bleed, it'll just be a few days off, which isn't so bad.
    Even if it's a few days off, they'll probably do a dating ultrasound to double check. It really depends on your OB. My OB does dating ultrasounds for everyone, but in your case it seems that it would be necessary.