Secondary IF

Feeling like a bad parent

Do you ever feel like a bad parent to your child(ren) when you are overcome with grief or whatever about not having a second.  I usually am ok but do have my day(s) where I get overly upset about our situation and just want to be sad and cry.  And when this happens I feel like I am neglecting my son.  I know he is taken care of and fed etc but I just don't engage with him the way I feel like I should but at the same time I just don't have to energy to fake happiness and play with him like he deserves.  Am I alone in this? How do you deal with it?

I think my BFN on monday plus the holiday and too many pregnancy annoucements really got to me this week and I just feel like all our attempts are hoepless and we are just throwing money away.  And all I want is one more child.  It's so easy for so many people and just not fair it's so hard for others. 

Sorry for the vent

Re: Feeling like a bad parent

• ::MASSIVE HUG::
    I soooo feel you.
    Yes, I totally have moments like this. It's all part of the journey we're on, unfortunately. I allow myself to wallow in misery for a day or so. I tell my husband how I'm feeling and ask him to double his daddy-duty for a day so I can pull myself together. He understands, and is usually fine with that. It helps to have some alone time doing something I enjoy. If I try to force myself to engage with my son when I'm in that state of mind, I end up losing patience with him very quickly and that's not good for either of us. The bottom line is, in order to be a good parent and take good care of your kid, you have to make sure you are taken care of too. Sometimes that just means taking a little time out. There's nothing wrong with that. :)
    Me: 43, DH: 41
    DS b. 7/4/2011 via c/s
    TTC #2 since 1/2015
    8/2015 - "unexplained IF", started Levothyroxine
    9/27/15 - IUI #1 (unmedicated) - BFN
    10/26/15 - IUI #2 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN
    11/21/15 - IUI #3 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN
    12/18/15 - IUI #4 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN

• Hugs to you!  This is just such a hard thing.  I feel like I have let my son see me cry way too many times.  He is such a sweet and happy boy and I feel terrible when I am sad around him... but you know what?  We are humans and we are doing our best.  Just give yourself a break and know that you are a great parent.  You are doing all you can and that is a lot.... it ain't easy trying to make your dreams come true.  Deep breath!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Huge hugs!!! Going through all this is hard and takes so much out of us emotionally. I believe many moms feel the way you while going through IF treatments. I know I have. Try not to be too hard on yourself. You are a great mom!
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

• Don't feel bad (I feel stupid writing that, it's so easier said than done). You need to take care of you too. I found out yesterday about having a second BO and just wanted to be alone and cry. I went back and forth, second to second of wanting to squeeze DS to death and then wanting to get away. I think it's natural. Know that by taking care of yourself, you are taking care of him too, just not directly.
    FET 11/20/15 - BFP #3- 11/30/15 - BO at 7w1d on 12/21/15
    IVF (egg donor #2) in July 2015 - BFN
    FET in January 2014 - BFP - Blighted Ovum
    IVF (egg donor #1) in April 2011 - BFP - DS Born 1/3/12
  • Gosh this is me too. I adore my daughter more than anything in the entire world, but some times I just have these moments where I want to be sad and feel sorry for myself.