High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fetal MRI?

Hi,
I'm scheduled for a fetal MRI on Monday to look at the baby's brain to confirm Dandy-walker variant.
I am super nervous and anxious about the MRI. My question, when for anyone who's had one. When you go in do they put you in feet first? I am panicky about being in head first and feeling trapped.
Thanks

Re: Fetal MRI?

• Options
    I had an MRI for different reasons, but I went feet first. You can ask for Valium if you're feeling anxious. They say it won't effect the baby. I felt really claustrophobic since my head went in as well, but when they put a towel over my eyes, i felt better. Hope it all goes well OP
  • Options
    PlainJane8350PlainJane8350 member
    edited November 2015
    You're feet first and enough of your head is out that you can look up and out when it's ok to move. Just don't look down towards your feet, look at the imperfections in the tube or up and out.

Also, I declined the socks, robe and blanket. I get hot when I'm nervous and they do put a "thing" over your stomach in order to catch the image. I didn't know that and they did that last, I was like, "Nope!" And made them wait while I took everything extra off since they were putting that thing on top of me. I would have felt claustrophobic. They're used to people being nervous regardless of why they're having one, so I'm sure they'll understand. I've never known one person who's like, "An MRI? No big deal."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not all scanners or scans can you be put in feet first. It will also depend on your height as to how far you are in the scanner if you are feet first. Most techs will do anything to make you comfortable and get the scan done. Such as talking to you between segments and putting a cloth over your eyes