Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Developing autoimmune disease after labor???

Has anyone developed any autoimmune disease after having their baby? Specifically lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. I'm being tested for lupus Monday but from what I've read I'm pretty certain it's RA (though I guess they present similar symptoms? I don't know). It looks like some studies say a lot of women develop these after labor, just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Re: Developing autoimmune disease after labor???

• Options
    I developed grave's disease after my second, and I have a friend who developed coeliac disease. So not specific to your experience, but I believe it is reasonably common.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I'm going to my ob to check for rheumatoid arthritis. Ever since LOVE was born my joints have been horribly achy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know I have arthritis. Even pre pregnancy I had. And pretty bad, too. It's just gotten much, much worse since I've been pregnant. So, I will have to get that checked out after my LO is born, if it continues to get worse. Joy. :neutral:
  • Options
    Ugh. I am fairly certain that's what it is.. Rheumatoid arthritis.. I was hoping to hear some positive stories because I am in so much pain. I had carpal tunnel at the end of my pregnancy and I thought this was another symptom of it since my hands have been the worst pain, but the orthopedic doctor said that carpal tunnel wouldn't cause pain in my knuckles :( I'm so bummed...
  • Options
    I had RA before DS1 in just my knees. During pregnancy symptoms go away. At 6 weeks PP with DS1 my joint pain and swelling came back. At 9 weeks PP with DS2 they came back plus it has now gone to both ankle joints after this pregnancy. I got my knees injected with cortisone after getting fluid drawn off them. Once I'm done nursing my doctor will most likely be putting me on a long term medication to prevent joint damage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was just diagnosed with arthritis in my hip but was told by Doctor that it's not RA. It bothered me some while I was pregnant but has been getting increase your worse since delivery. The only time it doesn't bother me is when I'm exercising. I had an X-ray of hip and dr said it wasn't bad enough for injections but it feels like it is