1st Trimester

Can you get spotting around your normal period time in early pregnancy?

Can you get light spotting around your normal period time right after getting pregnant? Just curious. I'm due soon for my period and having a little tiny spotting though I did have what I thought was implantation bleeding a week ago... Guess I will know soon! Thanks!
Me: 29, DH:38
Met: 2009, Married: 2012
TTC#1 Since Jan. 2015

Re: Can you get spotting around your normal period time in early pregnancy?

• Implantation bleeding occurs in less than 15% of women and can only be confirmed in hindsight. Spotting in early pregnancy occurs in around 25% of women (I believe). Don't symptom spot, if you think you're pregnant just take a test because it is the only symptom that matters.
  • Thanks @Sgoldberg247 ! I've taken two tests and they were negative... It's a few days too early for a definitive "no" so I'm just killing time and wondering.

To explain my question a little better, I'm curious if in a viable pregnancy women could ever get spotting specifically around the time of their period (and not at other times)- for hormonal reasons, for example. Has anyone experienced that?

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Me: 29, DH:38
    Met: 2009, Married: 2012
    TTC#1 Since Jan. 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're around your normal period time, it shouldn't be too early for a pregnancy test.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • How far in advance of your period are you talking? It is possible though unlikely to be implantation bleeding. Couldn't it also just be the start of your period? Only a test can tell you for sure.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Unfortunately if you are spotting close to when your period is due and are getting negative hpts then you are most likely not pregnant. Good luck, I hope u get ur bfp
  • I had spotting when I was expecting my period, but I also had a positive test. I'd suggest waiting a week, or a least a few days before testing again. You'll get a definitive answer either way eventually! Good luck!
  • Ya Never KnowYa Never Know member
    edited November 2015
    With my last pregnancy I spotted through most of my first trimester, starting before AF was due. I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant again and had some spotting today. I'm trying not to read in to it as it can be normal in early pregnancy. Before I got a positive result, I also had what I know now is implantation bleeding, and that was 2 days before I got a light bfp.
  • The months I had spotting before my period, I was not pregnant. I had no spotting in the days before my BFP. Most likely you are getting your period soon. Some people do get spotting and have BFP, but most do not. I know it's hard not to symptom spot, but you'll drive yourself crazy.

• If implantation truly happened a week ago, a test would be positive by now. Of course, as others mentioned, there's no way to know if it was truly implantation until you have a positive HPT.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • I had brownish blood for a month while pregnant, everyone is different, Couple friends had a full on period and was pregnant
  • Well!! bleeding like a period for 4 months and was pregnant
  • When my first period was supposed to be due i had very light spotting/ bleeding ... it was brown ... only lasted about 3 days and found out i was pregnant a couple days later. Must have been implantation bleeding because i had also taken a test 2 days before and that was negative. But last time i got pregnant i didnt have any implantation bleeding.
  • I bled during for about a day and a half when my period was due, but didn't take a test because all I thought was, ''Wow. That was a short period.'' Didn't take a test till I was about 6 weeks pregnant. Would have probably been longer if I hadn't had morning sickness.