1st Trimester

Does satisfying my cravings while pregnant with pcos make me a terrible person?

Okay so I am 8 weeks pregnant with pcos and am on metformin. Everything I read about pcos strickly narrows down your diet, along with the what not to eat when pregnant and my picky eating. I hate most veggies and fruits. I dont like much meat. I love, love bread and sweets. I have been trying so, so hard to eat better but its tough. I cut out pop and juice but recently with my birthday and thanksgiving I haven't been eating the best. I don't want the reason I miscarry to be because I can't stomach another day of just salads and peanutbutter. I don't want to miscarry at all, I am terrified.

Anyone with pcos not follow a strict diet and do okay? Does the metformin help some of my bad choices?

Re: Does satisfying my cravings while pregnant with pcos make me a terrible person?

• It depends on why you're on Metformin. Do you have issues with your insulin sensitivity? I was on Metformin though not for insulin related problems and prior to getting pregnant I was following a low carb diet as much as possible and working out. All through the first trimester when I was still on Metformin I ate as well as I could, relaxed my diet a bit but still avoided an overload of carbs. Since I have been off Metformin I've eaten what I please and baby is fine.
    However, just because this is my experience it doesn't mean anything for you. This really is a question you should ask your doctor and that is the best advice you're going to get here.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ninji15ninji15 member
    edited November 2015
    I was put on metformin because I never had a regular period, because of my pcos. My doctor never tested my insulin resistance or anything else for that matter. He means well and knows metformin helps but I don't think he really knows much more than that about it.. He hasn't mentioned diet, or exercise just that I have higher risk of miscarriage. I have been walking a mile every other day regardless.

I have looked into pcos diets and I try, but nothing is appealing or it makes me sick. As for veggies I do like, I like corn and I like squash. I did like salads until I got sick from just eating them. I really don't like much fruit and from what I read they are sugary anyway. Bananas, strawberrys, and apples I will eat.

Before I was ttc I ate pizza, sandwiches, cereal, or fast food mainly. Which is really terrible I know.

I just feel like such a failure for not being able to stick to a strong pcos diet or just in case gd diet. I shouldnt matter, it should only be about the baby. But eating is such a challenge for me.

I plan to ask my doctor my next appointment, I hope it goes somewhere.
  • Your doctor never did blood work to check your hormone levels? That's weird to me, my doctor checked mine and an unusual LH/FSH level as well as lack of period was why she diagnosed me as (mild) PCOS. Didn't eating fast food/pizza etc. while on the Met not upset your stomach terribly? That sort of food had me running to the bathroom!
    This is obviously causing you stress, why not give your doctor a quick call to see what they say? You should also do some research on PCOS friendly recipes, there are foods out there that taste good, I promise!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was diagnosed when I was about 15 so he just kind of went with my previous records. I can't call until Monday, there isn't an emergency line or out of office line for my doctor. I live in a very small town, I figure its why we don't have a lot. I asked them to check my progesterone a while back and they told me there was no need. If I was pregnant I have enough progesterone. What I have read with pcos that is completely false, but I eventually got him to prescribe progesterone to me anyway since they won't test.

And yes, all those things did not mix well with the Metformin lol. But I am just so, so picky I just dealt with it. I can't handle certain textures, even more so now that I am pregnant. I have googled some recipes. None of them seemed that appealing, but I probably wasn't looking into it enough. I will look up some recipes later today. I plan on shopping tomorrow, seeing as today is black Friday. Then I can try to do better again. :)

Thank you for replying. It helps me feel better, like I am not completely alone. Haha.
  • Don't beat yourself up, eating anything is better than eating nothing. Just get in contact with your doctor when you can, they will be able to advise you better. FYI I find homemade soups a great way to get in a lot of veggies! You can have some yummy bread on the side too ;)
    I don't know much about progesterone because I wasn't prescribed it. Best of luck :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! :blush:
  • I will say... I live and work in a very small town and i, myself, treat ALOT OF PCOS patients... very successfully. We monitor bloodwork, diet and exercise.
    I hate to be "that one" but tbh.... you really need to see a dietician and really work towards a healthier eating plan. Does that mean all veggies? No. But you have to try and do your best to not only way healthy for the baby.... but for u too. With the trend of how u say you eat.... diabetes could very well be a lasting issue... as well as high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It's super important to try and find the right combo.... and you can!
    You can do this!
  • I'm just going to suggest that you try cooking veggies in a different way. A lot of people just boil them and the taste leaves. Roasting in the oven, grilling etc really helps bring out their yummyness. The blog fatfreevegan has some simple and easy veggie recipes (they are sorted into different categories and one is something a long the lines of easy). I've had a few friends expand their veggie choices from doing that. Also quinoa is a good choice-I looooovvvvvveeee carbs but know they aren't my friends (and baby hates when I eat more than a slice of bread) but quinoa salads go over well for both of us.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • Thanks guys, and any solid advice is not going to offend me. I know I need to get it together. I am talking with my doctor asap about what I can do about my diet. :) I am trying to stay strong until then!
  • I've been hesitant to post on this because I wasn't sure if you were actually looking for feedback, but I have loved seeing your responses to the support you have been given.

Proper nutrition can be tough in any case, but especially when pregnant. And if you didn't have a great handle on it before you became pregnant, I know the nightmare it can be especially during the first trimester when hardly anything sounds good. I know for a couple of weeks there I was putting food in my mouth without thinking about it because the moment I thought about it I became sick. So I just had to blindly eat and that sorta sucked, since eating is one of my favorite things to do.

Along with talking to a nutritionist or dietician, I would also suggest seeing if there is a mental health counselor in your area that you could follow with. If you are struggling with any depression or guilt issues because of not being able to adhere to your nutrition plan then that can set off a cycle that promotes continued unhealthy behaviors. Plus it would be nice to have added support through out the pregnancy. Also, exercise! Good job on walking a mile every other day. As you progress in the pregnancy and your energy comes back, a lot of encouragement is given to walking half an hour every day. Or, if it is an option for you, get a fitbit or other fitness tracker and challenge yourself and get some friends to do challenges with you. I walk more steps when I know my friends are beating me. :-)

I applaud you for bringing a personal topic to the table and opening yourself up for feedback. I'm really impressed with how you reached out for support and then accepted the support being offered. Hope you will keep us updated on how it is going and tap back in for more support in the next few weeks/months!
  • @maryworley1  Thank you! You made me tear up lol. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and just overall stressing for a long time so seeing someone for mental health probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The added stress of my eating issues is driving me nuts, which is what led to this post. I didn't think about the fitbit! Now I wonder if they will go on sale for the holidays. I can be pretty competitive so that would actually work for me. :D 

I will continue to update and check back on this as time goes on, I definitely appreciate anyone who takes time to give a stranger support and advice, even if its not the advice I want to hear. I want to be the best I can be, because its not all about me anymore. 

• If you end up getting a fitbit, let me know, we can be fitbit friends and compete together. I'm so proud of you for being mindful and wanting to make changes!! I'm sending big hugs your way!
  • If you end up getting a fitbit, let me know, we can be fitbit friends and compete together. I'm so proud of you for being mindful and wanting to make changes!! I'm sending big hugs your way!

Thank you and I will!! Just had an ultrasound at 9wks. Everything is still looking good so far. FX.