1st Trimester

Food aversions!

Boy have things changed for me since becoming pregnant! I'd say 90% of the things I used to love are all things that repulse me now. It's like I've done a 180! We've practically become an extension of our local grocery story because every day it's something new. Ugh!! I'm guessing this is all normal, it just never stops amazing me at the things I crave from one day to the next, lol!! I guess my main question is, is there a light at the end of the tunnel?! This is temporary right? Do those preggo pills help leith nausea/cravings?

Re: Food aversions!

• I'm the same way. I thought I would have a hard time giving up coffee but suddenly I can't stand the smell or taste of coffee. It makes me nauseous to smell anything cooking in the kitchen, especially if it's something being fried up in a bit of oil. The only thing I still love is bread; any kind of bread product - best if it's one of those freshly baked artisanal breads with a bit of butter and jam. Strange and interesting the changes your body goes through.
  • It's different with different people. I'm 36 weeks now. And I still have major food fussiness even with the nausea gone.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard it lasts mostly during the first trimester, but we shall see! Over the weekend, my husband and I ordered a pizza for dinner. I ate it, liked it, it was good. The next night, my husband heated up the leftovers and at that point, I thought it smelled like dog food. Apparently 24 hours can make a difference in nose sensitivity :-) 
  • @jennamarie05 Oh yes, practically no leftover sounds appealing!!! Crazy!! I want it one day, but seldom the next. My body is already on to a new craving!!
  • I made brussel sprouts the night I started getting morning sickness and now I can't even hear the word or see a photo of them without getting sweats, mouth watering, super nauseous. Just from the word. Even typing about it now, ugh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can go from eating something and enjoying it then when I am almost done with it I get completely turned off and need whatever it is away from me as soon as possible. DH laughs and doesn't mind taking the last bite Hahaha
  • I've only really had an appetite the last two days but today the smell of hot pockets made me so nauseous it killed the hunger. It's the first smell that makes me queasy but it's weird it doesn't smell like I remember-almost like soggy day old bread
  • KutiePebblesKutiePebbles member
    edited December 2015
    I was fine in the aversion dept till about a week ago (8wks). Chicken, especially when I have to cook it, makes me gag. I fed my son chicken tonight and had to have my husband take over because I was about to turn green. I made a nice dinner tonight and was full on into it when cooking. Sat down to eat, took one bite and almost lost it. I wasn't this bad when pregnant with my son but I do seem to have the same staples that satisfy and do not hid my vomit sensor. Scrambled eggs w/ toast, PB&J, pizza, I can do those without an issue but poultry/meats, creamy dishes, leftovers, forget it. I am also already in the GD category due to being borderline type 2 prior to pregnancy so the whole "only wanting carbs" thing is a delicate balance. Your blood sugar has no sympathy for morning sickness or food aversion :( 
  • @KutiePebbles I love the PB&J idea!! That sounds really tasty actually!! I'm going to try and go for some of those this week. Peanut butter has been one thing that's stuck with me. Meat has been a no-go almost the entire time!!! Pasta with marinara. Just marinara! No Alfredo, lol. Eggs, granola and waffles for breakfast have also worked. Lunches seem to be the most difficult because my thoughts change from one hour to the next. It's like impossible to plan!! My workmates are probably starting to catch on because I've been the most random eater ever, lol. I'm just hoping some of this wears off and I'm interested in a bigger variety!!
  • I'm the same way. I thought I would have a hard time giving up coffee but suddenly I can't stand the smell or taste of coffee. It makes me nauseous to smell anything cooking in the kitchen, especially if it's something being fried up in a bit of oil. The only thing I still love is bread; any kind of bread product - best if it's one of those freshly baked artisanal breads with a bit of butter and jam. Strange and interesting the changes your body goes through.

Me too!! Coffee was one thing I thought I couldn't live without, but I can't stand it now. I also cant stand any red meat or eggs.
  • @michelleababa @european90 Couldn't agree more with the coffee. If there's two items any friend would say I love to consume it would be coffee and wine!! And almost instantly after becoming pregnant, both disgust me!!! Crazy. Now Honey Nut Cheerios, that's a different story. Just polished off two bowls!
  • I ate the heck out of some chickpeas last week because it was the only thing that sounded good. I opened a can this morning and nearly threw up from the smell. Pregnancy is weird.
  • Ham. Even via a commercial. Gags me to death.
  • Oh my gosh you coffee girls!! That's 100% me too!! I used to LOVE coffee and drink 2-3 cups per day. Now, even the thought of it repulses me! My office mate, who doesn't yet know I'm expecting, even said to me today "Geez isn't it time for your coffee break?!" I can take the smell, but the thought and then the taste are not good!
  • I'm happy to say current cravings still include yogurt, apples, PB&J's, Honey Nut Cheerios! Although yesterday McD's fries and a filet of fish sandwich had to happen. Of course today I can't even imagine eating it again!! Never ceases to amaze me!!
  • I had really bad food aversions from week 7 to week 11 approx. I normally eat very healthy food but couldn't stand, veg, meat (especially chicken ) and fish. I could only eat bland carbs and loved mash potatoes, cheese toasties, yogurt and cereal. Basically would only eat the food I ate as a kid....lol.